aaa Recording SB Live Synth A - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Recording SB Live Synth A

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             17-May-03  @  09:48 AM   -   Recording SB Live Synth A

woxy

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

OK - so how do I export the audio from the marimba I'm playing via midi on my SB Live Synth A??????? These are preset sounds on the soundcard yes? How do I get them off!

I can export everything else, the fruity loops beats, the reaktor channel, the tau pro b-line - - - - but how do I get the marimbas off my soundcard???????

HELP!

WOXY

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             17-May-03  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: Recording SB Live Synth A

milan

connect the out of your soundcard to the in and then mute the output of the track you're recording in cubase so you dont get feedback? you wont be able to monitor, but you already know what it sounds like anyway.

does that work?

Message 3/8             17-May-03  @  05:23 PM   -   RE: Recording SB Live Synth A

psylichon

or double click the little speaker icon (or whatever you do to call up the SBLive mixer. Go to Otions - Properties and select to "Adjust Volume For" Recording. Then make sure you checkmark all possible sources you would want to record from and hit "ok". In your case, make sure "MIDI" is selected.

Now you should get a console that indicates which source is being recorded (by checking "select") and an input attenuator if the signal is too loud. Make sure "MIDI" is checked and that should route the synth audio to whatever program you're using to record.

Creative should make this process more apparent, because I've mentioned this to countless SB users already. Hope it helps you.

psy

Message 4/8             18-May-03  @  09:42 AM   -   RE: Recording SB Live Synth A

woxy

gnnnnnnnnnnnn - its still doing my head in!

whilst i can export all my vsti synths OK - i think the problem i'm having is that i'm trying to export the sounds off the soundcard - (are these called soundfonts??) - would these be the same as my Tau Pro plugin??

i tried selecting the 'midi channel' as the channel to record on my SB Live recording mixer. unfortunately this doesn't make anything new happen. the *.wav i export from Cubase is still blank. it even plays the marimba really double quickly (like in about 0.5sec for the whole tune) like is does when i'm exporting a VSTi to wav.

i also can't plug my 'out' into my 'in' on the soundcard in any virtual manner - the SB Live is too basic for that - the only way i could do this would be to put a 3.5mm cable in both sockets in the back of the soundcard and i don't think thats a good idea.

i'll post back later tonight once i've had another proper fiddle. i'm obviously doing something stupido - - - -

thats for taking a look for me!

cheers
woxy

Message 5/8             18-May-03  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: Recording SB Live Synth A

milan

yes, use the 3.5mm cable if you cant work anything else out. it will still solve your problem, innit.

Message 6/8             18-May-03  @  10:14 PM   -   RE: Recording SB Live Synth A

psylichon

AAAAAAHHHHHHH I see....

You're trying to do a 'non-realtime bounce'... this isn't going to happen with your Sound Blaster's onboard synth.

You see, with completely software synthesizers, when you go to bounce them down to audio, the computer can basically render the sound as fast as possible, so it can do it fast and 'non-realtime'.

It's best to think of the sampler on your SB card as an external synth, which I'm sure you know, needs to be recorded in realtime. In this case, you could go the 1/8" out to in route, but if you use the method I outlined, I *believe* there is no D/A conversion so it should sound better.

Does that all make sense?

psy

Message 7/8             19-May-03  @  12:00 AM     Edit: 19-May-03  |  12:25 AM   -   RE: Recording SB Live Synth A

woxy

File?:  [image]

[image file]

BRILLIANT. I GET IT NOW!

Milan - Yes. Plugging the Output into the Input with a 3.5mm wire worked. I was expecting some kind of roaring feedback but instead it just recorded the audio beautifully like you said. Nice.

Psy - I also got it working using your idea. By recording the audio from Cubase using Cool Edit Pro (recording direct from the Wave Mixer) I managed to get a perfect recording of the SB Live instruments with no D/A A/D involved.

Sorted.

Thanks guys - I've included a picture - so hopefully anyone coming up against the same problem in the future will understand what we've been going on about.

cheers
WOXY

Message 8/8             19-May-03  @  11:39 AM   -   RE: Recording SB Live Synth A

psylichon

Glad you got it sorted, but I'm curious why you had to use an external program to record the SB's synth's audio. Surely, if the SB card is an enabled driver in Cubase, you could simply route the audio directly there?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)