aaa Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400 - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             21-May-03  @  08:19 PM   -   Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400

Yonce N Mild

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Ive decide to buy either project 5 or Reason. I am leaning toward project 5 because I already have sonar and project 5 can use vsti and dxi it also has acid looping tools. Any reasons i should buy reason instead ? ok second part of the question i currently have a amd 1.4ghz athalon with 512mb of ram I just ordered 512 more and I am considering upgrading my processor to a amd xp 2400 I wouldn't have to upgrade my motherboard and I could pick one up for about 100 bucks. Question is is it worth it a amd xp2400 runs at 1.83 hgz will I get a big enough preformance increase to justify the 100 bucks or should I wait till some of the faster xps drop into the 100 dollar range ?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             21-May-03  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400

99devils

Link?: Link

Depends on how much that $100 is worth to you in some other use..

You know, not too long ago the machine's total clock speed was $400mhz, so an extra 400 is going to be a good chunk of power.

-Craig

Message 3/8             21-May-03  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400

psylichon

Well, i notice the speed difference between the 1400 i built for my mom, and my 1800, so a 2400 will surely give you nice kick in the pants. The numbers game is not all AMD marketing... you really will get a lot more real-world speed than just 400 MHz.

And I would wait on Project 5 just to see how it takes off as a standard. It looks really promising and all, but Cakewalk's "standards" have a way of falling by the wayside (AudioX and DXi come to mind). Reason already has a huge installed base, so it'll be around for a long time. Though P5's VSTi and DXi integration is nice, if you already have Sonar you really don't need all that. Rewire with Reason and Sonar is rock solid and you get the best of both worlds. "Just my 2 cents"

psy

Message 4/8             22-May-03  @  08:47 AM   -   RE: Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400

dARKSTATe

If your mobo does indeed support the XP2400+ then I'd say get it..

I moved from a TBird 1.4 to an XP2100+ and although I didn't get close to pushing the TBird, i got that warm fuzzy feeling knowing the XP2100+ will have plenty of chops to keep me going for some time yet...

Just make sure of two things:

1. You have sufficient, quiet CPU cooling (you will most likely need to change your fan)

2. You have the correct BIOS update for your mobo to enable it to use the XP2400+

Have fun..  

Marc_D

Message 5/8             22-May-03  @  10:29 AM   -   RE: Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400

beds

Link?:  Link

2400 runs at 2ghz methinks. mine does anyway.

*goes off to check*

yup. the other computer i got has a 1ghz but i've not noticed a massive difference with this new one, but i've yet to really do the tweaking nonsense. next time i'm buying it'll be 4ghz. anyone see a pattern here?

Message 6/8             22-May-03  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400

dARKSTATe

You're alive mate!!!

YE GADZ!

Message 7/8             23-May-03  @  12:52 PM   -   RE: Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400

k

well I'm able to run Project5 and SONAR 2.2 XL fine on a 2gh athlon (1667mhz)

Project5 is great... and unline REASON, it doesn't have to be rewired - when you open SONAR, all the Project5 synths are in the rack as DXi's!!

so you CAN use Project5 for it's peculiarly unique methodology of working which imo (based on comparison with Reason 1 is superior to Reason by far, but you dont need to basicaly if you dont want to - so Project5 can be though of as simply a collection of quality sound generating tools if you like.

However, in the small amount of time I've had so far with Project5, I really like the way it works for actual compositional tasks.

I'm really busy right now with a spring apartment re-fit/re-painting task and some serious sessions for a label, but I'll be getting to task with Project5 in the next 2 weeks at which time a serial review will start... I'd rather run the review 'as I go along' that make a big gap while I complete a full review prior to publishing.

Message 8/8             30-May-03  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Project 5 reason and amd xp 2400

yonce

wow i was just checking upt price watch and the xp 2500 is now under 100 bucks !! If the xp processors arn't labeled 333 they use a 266 fsb ? for example the xp 2800 333 has a 333 mhz fsb and the plain xp 2800 has a 266 fsb ??? because I can use any xp processor with a 266 fsb. I think I might hang on a little bit longer untill the 2800 drops closer to 100 bucks

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)