aaa RAM Issues.... - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: RAM Issues....

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             22-May-03  @  09:11 AM     Edit: 22-May-03  |  09:15 AM   -   RAM Issues....

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

This is a one for the techies among us...

I got 2x256 PC2100 (ECC Registered) RAM chips in a box, and I've got 1DIMM slot spare. I wanna take the box upto 1GB by putting in a 512MB memory stick in the last slot but I'm a bit fuzzy on a few details.

In the UK at the moment 512Mb of PC2100 (Unbuffered/non registered) RAM is pretty damn cheap, but I don't know if I can mix that cheaper RAM with my ECC Registered stuff?

Also, can anyone explain what are the differences between the RAM types are?? Even a quick look at Komplett's RAM list shows me:

Unbuffered - ECC

Unbuffered - ECC Registered

Unbuffered - NonParity

etc.etc.etc.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated...

Cheers

Marc_D

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             22-May-03  @  09:42 AM     Edit: 22-May-03  |  09:43 AM   -   RE: RAM Issues....

dARKSTATe

Just in case, one quick call to Crucial's *extremely* helpful tech support line later and I'm lot clearer..

Answered my own questions thanks folx...   For those completists among us,

*Non-Parity OR ECC (Error Correcting Code)

*UnBuffered OR Registered

*You can't mix and match non-parity or ECC, Unbuffered or Registered

*The type of Ram you have also to some extent determines how many banks of it is supported by your mobo.. meaning depending on the type of ram you have, you may or may/not be able to have 2x256 + 1x512 etc.. e.g. VIAKT266A mobos support either 6Banks of NonParity, Unbuffered RAM.. OR 8Banks of ECC, Registered..

It appears as though Komplett have got their memory parts listed incorrectly as a result...

Ah well, enough waffle.. hope this was useful for someone else besides me!!

Message 3/3             22-May-03  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: RAM Issues....

psylichon

30 minutes... GREAT... just GREAT, damnit, you didn't even give us a CHANCE to geek out yo.

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)