aaa Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

17-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             27-May-03  @  02:31 AM   -   Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

Influx

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

k...yesterday I left my machine on running Cubase SX for about...5 hours or so...came back and everything was locked up, and the processor was at 100% when I finally got the system performance window up.

so..I tried to shut down and it locked on the "windows is shutting down" screen, so I waited about 2 minutes then flipped the switch. This part has happened before and it never caused a prob

tonight I go out to work and the boot is taking a while then BLUE and "unmountable boot drive"?

I unplug everything, just the hd, try to start in safe mode. same thing

so I run windows...was thinking I was gonna reinstall...but then it offers that recovery mode so I went in there, ran chkdsk and it found one error. Heh..NO idea how to fix it 

then I did the boot check option...and it said the boot sector was corrupt, so there was a bootfix command or something like that.

ran that, created a new boot sector..and got into safe mode, where I restarted from there, and everything seemed normal

phew! (sorta)

cuz now Im scared...is there anything I should do to ensure the reliable operation of this setup after doing what I did? Did I do anything wrong?

anyone...danke in advance

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             27-May-03  @  07:39 AM   -   RE: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

psylichon

Link?: Link

Norton Ghost... has saved my ass many a time. And frankly, it just saves time and lets you run clean because if something ever gets strange, you just flash over the latest properly-running boot and all is good. Basically, it saves a (compressed if you want) image of your boot drive (or any partition) to another drive or to CD or DVD. As long as you save ALL your data to another drive (which all audiologists should be doing anyway), and make sure all Windows settings are saved to a seperate drive from your boot drive (this is easily done with Microsoft's TweakUI available on their website... if anyone wants a walkthrough i'd me more than happy to provide one), you can "ghost" over your perfectly-running system image at any time in minutes with no interruption to daily activity.

Check it out, it's worth its weight in gold to people who love to run an anal system. I enjoy this kinda thing a bit too much, so if you want more advice for keeping a clean system, don't be afraid to ask. It's almost a game for me... :I

Oh, and I would worry about that boot drive of yours. Boot sector problems can arise from a number of things, but I'm curious how old the drive is. I've killed 2 drives in my short 3 years in this place I'm living in now... and I think it has to do with the poor power in my place. Just had to replace my data drive with a new 120 gigger (and, btw... the new WD and Maxtor joints with the 8mb buffer are worth the extra few bucks... FAST!) I also got a power-conditioning UPS that I hope will save me HD headaches in the future. Look into one if you dont' have one already... they're pretty cheap.

psy

Message 3/10             27-May-03  @  10:22 AM   -   RE: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

k

Link?:  No link

sounds like your drive is fried mate.

Message 4/10             27-May-03  @  04:12 PM   -   RE: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

99devils

Link?: Link

No, I wouldn't say that, you just toasted the MBR when you shut down your box improperly (I know you had no choice). If the MBR fix worked, you should be all good. Do a scandisk on all your volumes to make sure.

-Craig

Message 5/10             27-May-03  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

influx

funny thing is...I dont see scandisk in the options for XP? odd

yeah..psy...I really should get Ghost. I dont know what im thinking. I had it once and in all honesty I got confused!

Message 6/10             27-May-03  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

influx

k..if the disk was fried...heh...how did I get in another 10 hrs of work last night? 

Message 7/10             27-May-03  @  06:21 PM   -   RE: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

beds

right click on a disk, then choose properties, tools tab, there's an error checking thing there.

Message 8/10             27-May-03  @  07:14 PM   -   RE: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

influx

drrrrrrr. funny how you forget about things when you dont use them 

danke

Message 9/10             28-May-03  @  02:02 AM   -   RE: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

k

Link?:  No link

sorry mate - missed your last paragraph  

Message 10/10             28-May-03  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: Blue Screen on XP Pro Boot

influx

I know. I rambled. well..Im glad youre "wrong"

for now, that is. I think..dunno..maybe Id better get a new system drive. this ones what...2 years old?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)