aaa Sonar 3 - arrived! - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Sonar 3 - arrived!

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/32             01-Oct-03  @  10:02 PM   -   Sonar 3 - arrived!

Mindspawn

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Just got the new Sonar 3 yesterday... Lots of bits are better, some really nice, and some not quite there. The audio "glitching" when editing tracks in the clips pane is still present, although greatly reduced. We've now got track eqs available on every track with a thumbnail of the eq curves (kind of a paragraphic display). CPU drain actually WENT DOWN by about 2-5% across the board on our tracks done in Sonar 2.2!

The layout actually reminds me a lot of Logic... Still haven't had the time to check out things like making MIDI loops that go a full bar regardless of MIDI data, checking the looping tools and so on, but on a quick overview, lots of nice tweaks and new bits to tinker with... I'll probably have a go at this weekend to see if I can "break" it...=)

Toodles

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/32             01-Oct-03  @  10:16 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

errata

Link?:  Link

"Note: SONAR 3 does not support Windows 95, 98, ME, or NT"

wow... surprised at that!

Still, I'm gettin' the new one next month!

e

Message 3/32             02-Oct-03  @  12:18 PM     Edit: 02-Oct-03  |  12:24 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

Congrats! I got an email last night saying mine's been shipped. Can't wait. The console view screenie reminded me a lot of Logic in it's look.

Message 4/32             02-Oct-03  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

99devils

Did they fix the annoying thing of not being able to select which midi input port you wnt to record from? Hence I get all the channel 1's instead of just channel 1 on my Nord?

-Craig

Message 5/32             02-Oct-03  @  06:04 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

I just got word from my wife that Sonar3 arrived! Gonna be a long day at work. Damn and I have UT2k3 practice tonight.

I don't know if I will be one to find that out Craig. I haven't been able to use my midi box since going over to XP cuz I can't get the correct drivers for my MOTU Midi Express. I use the 1 midi in and out I have on my layla sc and that's it.

Message 6/32             02-Oct-03  @  08:21 PM     Edit: 02-Oct-03  |  08:21 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

99devils

Sitar, they've had WDM drivers for MOTU midi boxes for a long time now. In fact, my Micro Express has never performed so well.

Click here for drivers

If you're on a parallel interface, then you need to make sure that the parallel port is set to the proper type in BIOS. I think it's SPP(?).

-Craig

Message 7/32             02-Oct-03  @  08:22 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

99devils

Besides, if there's a dropdown for selecting MIDI in port (like for audio input channels) then we should be good to go.

Message 8/32             02-Oct-03  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

Thanks. I'll check out the drivers when I get home. But if I remember correctly, I had to be registered and I lost that info 2 computers ago and my email is different. Maybe not. Maybe I tried a driver and it didn't work or something strange happened like it crashed my puter. I'll have a look in the bios if it gets that far.

Message 9/32             02-Oct-03  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

psylichon

I gave up on my MOTU parallel MIDI interface when i switched to XP. No amount of tweaking of port settings would get the driver to stay installed and functional, and I'm not the only one...

Message 10/32             02-Oct-03  @  11:46 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

maybe that's the problem then. I know there was something.

Message 11/32             03-Oct-03  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

I installed Sonar3 last night and had some time to play with it. Easy to get right into from Sonar2. Haven't tried many of the new things yet except for some new effects plugins. Can't wait to open up Vsampler. I love the default look and the way muted tracks are a different shade all the way across the trackview, and I like that the track you've selected gives you the mixer in it's own verticle window. The 3 section scrolling in the console was a great idea too. You can see your busses, mains and individual tracks at the same time. Sweet.

Message 12/32             03-Oct-03  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

99devils

Works great for me. As long as it's turned on when I boot the PC I have no problems. Works better than before. Psy - I know we're using pretty much the same machine, so I'll look up my settings and see if that'll help, if you still have the box.

-Craig

Message 13/32             03-Oct-03  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

spectre1

Link?:  No link

Hey Sitar, how are you coming along with the Vsampler. I have heard some horror stories about it having some of the worst challenge/response authorization people have seen.

How's the sample content in your opinion?

I still haven't gotten my shipping confirmation yet  

I want it now, daMn't.

Message 14/32             03-Oct-03  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

haven't touched the Vsampler yet. This weekend I'll be checking it out. To be honest I'm not a exactly mr. sampler.

Message 15/32             07-Oct-03  @  12:07 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

I opened VSampler but that was about it. I was already close to finishing up a track I started a while back and decided not to explore the sampler at this point.

Message 16/32             07-Oct-03  @  06:35 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

k

doh!... still no NFR.... *sniff*

Message 17/32             07-Oct-03  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

scratches head....what is NFR again?

Message 18/32             08-Oct-03  @  12:06 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

Defector Z

Nice fucking rack.

Message 19/32             08-Oct-03  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

k

not for retail/resale - it's a review copy

Message 20/32             08-Oct-03  @  02:23 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

They gotta get you one! I loved walking into Sam Ash in NYC, finding a Sonar demo workstation, and seeing on the screen a quote about Sonar from "-dancetech"

Message 21/32             09-Oct-03  @  12:05 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

Broken Silence

Hows that sampler that it features?

is it available as a plug?

Message 22/32             09-Oct-03  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

can't say. opened it but haven't really used it yet. I've heard of vsampler before so it must be available. In fact they say the price of vsampler and another plugin that comes with sonar justifies the cost of sonar right there.

Message 23/32             09-Oct-03  @  06:23 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

Broken Silence

just from screenshots, it looks like one hell of a sampler. Check that out!

Message 24/32             09-Oct-03  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

k

there's a tour of the new V3

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 25/32             09-Oct-03  @  11:00 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

k

Hey Mr Cake if you reading - We used to get the NFR from Etcetera, but now it's gone to Edirol we didn't seem to get one

can we get a contact for that svp? - we're very keen to review this new version as we've taken such an interest in this product's development/progress... Hopefully, V3 is the one.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 26/32             14-Oct-03  @  12:42 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

spectre

Finally got my copy in the mail. I've only had a few hours to play with it, but my initial reaction is very positive- similar to the above comments. Installation was a breeze. I love the new layout, very slick and was very easy to get used to. Console view is sweet. It's all very customizable. I like track inspector - instant access to all the parameters of a track without having to switch to console view.

MIDI Groove Clips are the bomb.

The lexicon verb sounds good. I still have some playing around to do, but my initial reaction is that it is kind of harsh. I definitely would not describe it as "subtle". But it has some nice tails and is very clear - not muddy. But between that and the smoother Ultrafunk, I think most of the bases are covered.

The rest of the ultrafunk plugs are great, as well. I've been having fun with the Wah-Wah.

VSampler looks to have potential. Maybe not quite up to par with Kontakt or Halion, but I think it can hold its own. The registration was a bit of a pain since my music computer isn't connected to the internet. But they e-mailed me the reg code which I saved to disk and copy and pasted. No manual and a not too extensive help file, but most of it is pretty straight forward.

The sample disks....errrr - I'm not too impressed. The one disk with the different pianos is decent for what I do - I can't complain. But the other disk is mostly demo samples from other companies. There are a couple OK drum kits, but a lot of it is Shit like "pads and atmospheres". I was hoping for some more "real" instruments rather than synthy type stuff that I have the capability of making myself. I'll use the piano disk, but the other won't see much use.

But besides the weak sample content, I really can't complain at all. No huge changes to the program, but the smaller changes add up to make it nicer and more efficient to use. And the plug-ins, that just seals the deal. No regrets here for the upgrade. Good stuff.

Message 27/32             14-Oct-03  @  03:24 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

I was disappointed in the groove clip samples too. I didn't explore them all that much but tasted a few and they seemed made for pop music. I'll look at them more closely later.

Message 28/32             14-Oct-03  @  11:09 AM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

k

goodness me... I've said it so many times... Their sample content is not much more than a marketting promotion, however, if it keeps Cake bouyant then fine because I don't think really one is charged for this 'content'

However, I always said SONAR should release a package called something like: SONAR DANCE - with a variety of dance drum samples and a library of dance orientated midi brush patterns.

-----

oh btw!... tell me PLEASE you can now edit midi note velocity for notes on the exact same beat in a chord in piano roll without having to open the 'edit-note' dialog box and manualy scroll or type in the velocity?

please tell me they sorted that?....

grid on arrange page area?

Message 29/32             14-Oct-03  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

§ï†ÅR

I'll have to look into that next chance I get. Haven't played with midi editing much and like pavlovs dogs I go right to the piano roll view.

I think Cake sells 3rd party groove clip cds. I don't fault them for the content. They're based in the USA and most of the country still listens to The Eagles and The Allman Brothers. Would be nice if they could give a choice..."Sonar3 Standard Edition" and "Sonar3 Dance Edition". Course that would up the cost risk for them and damn if they don't give us great pricing as it is.

Message 30/32             14-Oct-03  @  02:01 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

craig

So.. Uh... Is there a way to select which MIDI IN port you want to record from?  

I'm sick of getting every channel 10 in my rig when I'm trying to rough out a beat on my triggers.

Message 31/32             15-Oct-03  @  10:54 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

psy

yes, craig, you can!

Message 32/32             16-Oct-03  @  02:38 PM   -   RE: Sonar 3 - arrived!

craig

Yay! I'll pu my order in tonight then  

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)