aaa Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5? - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/19             19-Oct-03  @  02:25 AM   -   Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

Brett Austin

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi there,

I have a PC (AMD Athlon 1400, 512ddr, 2 x 60 gig HDD, Hoontech C-Port Sound) and I've been thinking about investing in either Cubase SX 2 or Logic Audio Platinum 5.5. A friend told me that Cubase didn't have as good a quality sound as Logic - any opinions on that one?

So that I can try to make an educated decision (rather than just flipping a coin) I was wondering if anyone could point out a few of the pros or cons of either program - I'm looking to make mostly trance (have hardware - novation (A-station), yamaha Cs1x, Rm1x), possibly adding vocals or other instrumentation. I haven't ruled out the use of software synths sometime in the future either.

Any opinions or pointers would be most appreciated - I hope this isn't a totally pointless question (like asking which is better, vegemite or marmite, Holdens or Fords)

Thanks for your time!

Brett.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             19-Oct-03  @  07:22 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

milan

Link?: Link

umm... you cant get logic for pc anymore i believe(?)

Message 3/19             19-Oct-03  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

sox

Link?:  Link

The stupid thing is....you can still get Logic for PC. But ONLY for educational establishments. I'll bet their R&D/Platform transfer for that is astronomical! (And this info is supposed to be hush hush as far as I know.)

Go figure...I guess they don't want to lose out on a future user base. Maybe they woke up and remembered that most schools use PC's and not Mac's. (Any school on a budget, i.e. almost all of them, can get 2 or even 3 PC's for every Mac they purchase)

sox

Message 4/19             19-Oct-03  @  11:47 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

milan

wankers

Message 5/19             20-Oct-03  @  12:20 AM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

Brett Austin

I knew that Logic 6 was only released on Mac, but I guess I just assumed you could still get Logic 5 on PC - I have a brochure for a music store which lists Logic 5. The brochure is like a year old though - and it doesn't actually say which platform it's for.
Hmm, I guess it's Cubase then - Is it true that its sound quality isn't all that? Would something like Sonar or Nuendo be a better option?

Message 6/19             20-Oct-03  @  12:55 AM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

R.A.T.

There are going to be no PC updates for Logic anyway, there's loads of new features hitting Sequencers at the moment and you don't want to miss out.

Message 7/19             20-Oct-03  @  09:02 AM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

dARKSTATe

Uh huh... upgrade as soon as they announce it, bugs or no...

Fuck, SX2/Nuendo doesn't even work properly on some soundcards.. ain't that right RAT??

Message 8/19             20-Oct-03  @  10:07 AM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

k

well Logic 5 as far as t goes up to on the PC versions works fine as a sequencer... ok, NO FREEZE function, but with PC power going up in leaps and bounds, is that really an issue as even a budget PC will give gobs of power... only thing is, no REWIRE2, but unless you are a diehard REASON fan that's no issue either

Message 9/19             20-Oct-03  @  06:28 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

beds

yup still very usable, only thing that's gonna it up is a new plugin standard (vst3 or new dx thing) then maybe you won't be able to use new plugins but that's a while off yet.

Message 10/19             20-Oct-03  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

influx

the sound quality in SX is fine as is

in fact, Id almost say just get SX1.06 and then buy the upgrade (it might even be FREE?) when they iron it out a bit.

steinberg has a habit of releasing stuff that is just a little bit less than finished

Message 11/19             21-Oct-03  @  08:49 AM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

dARKSTATe

SX1.0.6 was/is fine... the new shit in SX 2 looks nice but not enough to stop the presses.. especially when its about as much use as a chocolate fireguard with STAudio based setups at the mo'

Message 12/19             21-Oct-03  @  03:37 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

Brett Austin

I'm using a C-port from STAudio (Audio dsp24 + adc/dac 2000) - Is this not compatible with Cubase SX and Nuendo? Or is it only SX 2.0 that doesn't work?

Aiyaaa! Logic's no good for the long term - no ugrades on PC, Steinberg's stuff don't work with my hardware - Is it just fruity loops for me then? Or perhaps windows sound recorder? I joke, but does anyone have any good suggestions? Sonar maybe?

Message 13/19             21-Oct-03  @  05:04 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

psylichon

Yeah, try Sonar

Message 14/19             22-Oct-03  @  10:40 AM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

dARKSTATe

SX2/Nuendo2 won't work with the DSP2000 stuff for now...

The manufacturers are working on a driver update to fix this...

SX1.x.x currently works schweet with the DSP2000, hope this clears things up!

Message 15/19             23-Oct-03  @  01:30 AM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

Brett Austin

Thanks a heap for all the help guys,

Dancetech proves once again that it's THE one-stop shop for synth and computer music
advice (is there an @#se licker emoticon in here somewhere ?)

Cheers,

Brett.

Message 16/19             23-Oct-03  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

k

Works fine with SX tho, not SX2 yet - but they usualy sort stuff fast

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 17/19             26-Oct-03  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

Duncan

Logic will work well if you want a sequencer for your hardware synths. I dont know if they still sell it though? Does this make copying it ok? Probably not,,
The automation on Cubase used to be terrible and I dont think this has changed much, for example in Logic you can open the automation and a list will be displayed of all the automatable parameters within a plug in. You can then choose one and draw lines in etc.

I dont think this is possible in SX, perhaps someone who actually uses it will clear this up.

Message 18/19             26-Oct-03  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

influx

yes, it is. SX automation is full-featured.

Message 19/19             27-Oct-03  @  04:43 PM   -   RE: Cubase SX 2 or Logic 5.5?

Fierze

I guess Steinberg woke up and realised their automation feature was INCREDIBLY pathetic.

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)