aaa Just picked up an OB-8 - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: Just picked up an OB-8

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/32             24-Nov-03  @  09:22 PM   -   Just picked up an OB-8

Influx

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

havent gotten very far yet, but man...

I cant lie and say I dont notice a difference in the sound between this and my virus.

warm indeed

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/32             25-Nov-03  @  11:16 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

hohoho... lucky bastard!

Message 3/32             25-Nov-03  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Tom

Link?:  No link

You bastard.

Tom

Message 4/32             25-Nov-03  @  04:28 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

k

mmmmmmm

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/32             25-Nov-03  @  09:39 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Influx

you guys are gonna kill me, but...Im selling it.

I dig it...theres no doubt that it sounds good, but its fucking HUGE and I will be going nomad soon most likely

and I can make some $$ on it...for that Xpander thats on the way 

Message 6/32             26-Nov-03  @  12:25 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve

heh, nice - is that the matrix12 without the keys thing?

Message 7/32             26-Nov-03  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

influx

Link?:  Link

yup.

this occupation has its benefits, no doubt

Message 8/32             26-Nov-03  @  04:53 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Maarten

Xpander?! aww drool... I hate you ;)

Message 9/32             27-Nov-03  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve

but will it sound as good as my £20 korg ex-800 though influx? I doubt it somehow, this thing is 8 voices of pure sex.

Message 10/32             29-Nov-03  @  02:44 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

influx

heh. not sure if I can ever attain that level

Message 11/32             01-Dec-03  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

influx

xpander's here

wow.

odd, but both Obie's have very low output volume...

and then the ProphetVS is here, too! heh...I see how the WS was modeled after it. sounds like one, but..cooler 

Message 12/32             02-Dec-03  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve

fookinell, is that for personal use too or just to sell on?

Message 13/32             02-Dec-03  @  06:14 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

influx

dunno...usually when I get stuff to sell, I dont even bother putting it to use aside from testing all functions, as I dont want to get suckered in, but...the Xpander has a rep for bein one hell of a beast...

need a manual though. not like I cant get around on it, but...nice to have...

probably sell it. need money more than toys right now. such is the benefit of my current profession I guess. play with toys

Message 14/32             02-Dec-03  @  05:24 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

pwoaar...!

Message 15/32             18-Dec-03  @  06:06 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Raphael

Dont want to sound like a complete idiot. But what exactly makes the X-pander such a great synth comparable to the newer ones out there today? Just curious.

Message 16/32             18-Dec-03  @  10:01 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

it looks bloody cool, thats what   oh, and supposed to sounds pretty good too.

yo inlux... you dont need all that hardware shit mate! just get synthedit or something! how about it? ;)

Message 17/32             19-Dec-03  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Tom

Raphael,

the ob, was in its day what todays synths try to emulate. Its an analog monster. I think you really have to hear it to understand/appreciate it (i've never heard one either). I know it may seems like many people say tubes or old analog synths sound great, but it is true. You just have to hear them.

Tom

Message 18/32             19-Dec-03  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Broken Silence

Okay- first off its pure analog...none of this VA shit. The sound (even though I'm assuming from what I've heard from demos and what not..never heard the "real deal") is ing amazing. Then look at the specs... believe it or not, it even smashes out some of the new VA's with 5 LFO's, 15VCA, and 5ASDR envelopes per voice.

Probably the most notable feature is that it has 6 separate outputs for the 6 voices which you can also make 6 multitimbral parts from. That's crazy for this sort of synth. Not to mention it's probably one of the most beautiful synths ever crafted...that's where access got their design from  

Then the keyboard version is the Matrix 12 which has 12! voices..its more like the "suped up" version of the Xpander as it has double the polyphony and even more programability...obie's got a few golden ones that will be around for a while. (the m12 looks alot like the new MS2000's if you throw up 2 pics of em side by side...)

Message 19/32             20-Dec-03  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

didnt expander have DCOs?

Message 20/32             20-Dec-03  @  11:25 AM     Edit: 20-Dec-03  |  11:27 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

oh... VCOs and VCF indeed. but lot of stuff is digitaly generated/controlled.

believe it or not i actually found some audio demos, check it out:

http://www.sequencer.de/mp/xpander_demo.mp3

http://www.sequencer.de/mp/xpander_demo2.mp3

hehe... not too impressive is it? now imagine a bit of eq, compression, and a nice chorus on them. mmm...

Message 21/32             21-Dec-03  @  04:06 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

psylichon

Yeah I didn't want to break the little Obie party you all had started here, but I was never overly impressed with the sound of the Xpander when I was in school. Now granted, I was still learning subtractive synthesis at the time (they were in the labs at Berklee), but I could never get it to sound anything but tweezy and weak. Not "ballsy outta the box" like other classic analogs. But holy shit the modulation sources/destinations. Fookin nuts... great for sfx and long, evolving sounds with lots of LFOs. Bad for piano (one of our assignments in school) [shrug]

Message 22/32             21-Dec-03  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve

your school had an xpander?

mine had casiotones.

Message 23/32             21-Dec-03  @  02:19 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

k

lol! - British school quality!

Message 24/32             21-Dec-03  @  10:27 PM     Edit: 21-Dec-03  |  10:27 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

BluStudio

you had keyboards!? most esciting thing we got was playing a fookin recorder man..........you could really hear it come into its own when you covered two holes at a time

Message 25/32             22-Dec-03  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

mm... i gotta add something: for a "not_really_yer_bass_synth" my DCO equiped Matrix has a positively frightening amount of subs on some patches. more than the uQ for example. i think there's still a lot to be said for discrete oscilators running freely as separate chips on the board and 24db analog filters.

(just making conversation )

Message 26/32             22-Dec-03  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve the pedant

but if it uses voice chips it's not discrete, right?

blu - you tramp

Message 27/32             22-Dec-03  @  01:06 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

hmm... i see what yoou mean. bad choice of words :P

but each oscilator is a still a chip in its own right, right?

Message 28/32             22-Dec-03  @  02:29 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

steve

yeah, i think so.

what i don't understand though is why synths which use op amps and the like are still considered to be 'discrete' by the anal log mafia.

Message 29/32             24-Dec-03  @  07:58 AM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

panama

just to drop in here real quick... I got me an Octave Cat thats on the way... cant wait!

Never heard the xpander or oberheim ob-8... hope you have fun with the xpander.

Message 30/32             24-Dec-03  @  05:59 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Influx

you know whats funny?

1)people who have no experience talking about stuff based on what theyve heard and read.

2)I sold the Ob8. It definitely sounds soft and warm like its supposed to, but it sounds...well...just not aggressive enough for my tastes

3)Im selling the Xpander soon. After messing with it quite a bit...kinda the same. Just not as in your face as I want. It is, without question, a programmers dream. Has to be the most extensive non-modular mod system ever? I mean in an analog from what 86? wow.

But, with how much I can get for it combined with the fact that I am perfectly comfortable with my virus...its on its way out.

heh...I drooled and drooled over it...and it was almost all based on other people's hype. lesson learned

Message 31/32             25-Dec-03  @  07:26 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

milan

yeah, but it *still* looks cooler than any other synth out there, what with three lcd displays and big knobs  

Message 32/32             15-Feb-06  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: Just picked up an OB-8

Malcolm Jeffery

I just posted the other day in another forum here about mending my OBX which has the toughest
sound of the ob series according to tom oberhiem my one got 24 db filters instead of the 12 db
ones that shipped with OBX'S and i gotta admit they sound so big and fat and throw it into
unison and yer speaker cones try to escape from the room.

Any how you really got all that oberhiem stuff, how much you selling the xpander for?

Cheers Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)