aaa help me please - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

07-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: help me please

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             21-Jan-04  @  07:34 PM   -   help me please

john

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

help.

I have bought a computer with great sound and speakers and reason 2.0. I have a further £500 to spend. I would like to get cubase sl:

do i need anything to link reason and cubase together?

plus i would like an interface to plug in a sm58 mic and perhaps guitars?

Also what could i do with the change, vst's?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             22-Jan-04  @  08:59 AM   -   RE: help me please

dARKSTATe

Link?: Link

When you mean "great sound" what do you mean exactly? Did the PC ship with a "pro-audio" soundcard? Or just something like an Audigy?

IF the answer is no, then some of that spare money will be better spent getting yourself in the game with some kind of soundcard with good sample rate/bitdepth support (16-24bit, sample rates upto either 96KHz or 192KHz depending on the card) and asio2 compatibility.

As you'd like to PreAmp the mics and DI the guitars, then you can either buy those separately (and there's plenty of budget preamps you can get) or you can spend a bit more on the soundcard solution and get something in the £250+ range which has preamps and usually comes as a breakout box + PCI card solution. These are usually multi I/O solutions (8ins 8outs etc.) which *might* be a bit of overkill for what you want, but at those prices are still a great investment

Also, you *could* go cheaper than with a USB1 based solution like the Edirol "UA" series which comes with the minimum you'd need (1preAmp etc..) but bear in mind that there are always performance issues with USB audio solutions - they DO work but they're not nearly as good as a PCI or firewire based stuff.

If you've bought reason and cubase, you can link them together using REWIRE which is a technology built specifically for this purpose and comes built into Cubase out of the box. Cubase SL2 is a good choice for entry level DAW work too..

However, what this means that if you've had to buy a new audio solution Or pre-amps and Cubase SL2 then unfortunately you're not gonna have much change out of that £500....

There are a fantastic range of VSTIs out there (and some great free ones - just do a search here on DT or go to the KVR website)... However, for a good all rounder I can recommend the new Steinberg Hypersonic which is basically one of the first decent takes I've seen on a good old down-home Workstation S+S megasynth.. LOADS of good quality patches, great polyphony, not much programmability but I guess something had to give.. however, getting this too will push your budget above £500..

Hope this info helps

Marc_D

Message 3/9             22-Jan-04  @  11:01 AM   -   RE: help me please

k

well, the m-audio AUDIOBUDDY or the Hootersound pre-amps are very good value, offering mic in/s with phantom power and line in/s... add that to a decent budget audio card (if as Ds above says, your PC came with some onboard soundcard or a sblive or audigy or whatever), and you're rocking - you'll be able to play EITHER the REASON synths, OR vsti's added to Cubase, all in realtime from any midi sending master keyboard device.

Message 4/9             22-Jan-04  @  04:58 PM   -   RE: help me please

leaves springs/ joe.reis

The last word on interface M-AUDIO trust me they put L in2 ultra non exsistance Lantency all at n affordble price. look in to it man........

Message 5/9             22-Jan-04  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: help me please

leaves springs/ joe.reis

Its me again forgot 2say abit of advice sell the pc,get a g4 ibook logic6,big which comes with top of the range plug insa Xkey that gives u protection 4 ur progects and28 days free trial on all logics plugins.m- audoi 410-firewire interface some self powered monitors n u got a powerful mobile studio, its avery robust set up i have wrote some very good tunes on this set up u cant go wrong, still have nightmares now when i went down the pc-running xp oop system seq-on (cubebase n recycle). phatmatik pro is the 1 to mangle n slice ur sounds/samp/wav,ect i am still buzzing with this setup. you would b saying bye2 ur configuring probs n gettin on with the stuff us guys do best creative music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 6/9             22-Jan-04  @  06:31 PM     Edit: 22-Jan-04  |  06:32 PM   -   RE: help me please

craig

He donesn't have configuration problems.

Let me guess, you bought your Mac because BT uses one

Message 7/9             22-Jan-04  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: help me please

influx

Link?:  Link

I love online shorthand

Message 8/9             22-Jan-04  @  06:55 PM   -   RE: help me please

beds

Link?:  Link

he's got 500 quid and someone says he should buy a mac? oh ho ho ho.

Message 9/9             23-Jan-04  @  09:21 AM     Edit: 23-Jan-04  |  09:21 AM   -   RE: help me please

dARKSTATe

Hey, give him a break, the guy's just giving his 2pence worth.. Pity he didn't actually take time to read the original posters' post eh?

"Get a Mac..." doesn't matter what you do, what your requirements or budget is.. LOL!

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)