aaa how the hell does this bastard.. - Computer music & technology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

27-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Computer music & technology

Subject: how the hell does this bastard..

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             24-Feb-04  @  01:05 AM   -   how the hell does this bastard..

xoxos

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

thread titles=much too short for colour.

predictably, how do i network my xp lap to my 98 desktop? i think i've tried every option.. hoping someone 'knows how it's supposed to go..'

manages to open port and ocnnect.. stalls at 'checking name and password' which makes a fuckload of sense since i don't use passwords.

connex wouldn't respond with serial cable, using printer cable.. on the desktop (the one i want to take files off of) i've got 'file and printer sharing for networks' on, added a 'service for microsoft networks' and made it the 'primary network logon' (as well as everyhting else a couple of times..)

on my desktop/service thing, there's some stupid fucking box that allows you to 'admit a list of users and passwords' or some crap, and the box is labeled 'get list from..' with no other format indication. putting 'my friend jimmy' in the box makes it wait a really long time.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             24-Feb-04  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: how the hell does this bastard..

psylichon

File?:  [image]

[image file]

I know you love buying things, so I recommend a router. Makes home networking
so much easier... you just plug it in and go. Without that, you get into network
administration hell, granting permissions and such... bah. Get a router. $50...

Message 3/9             24-Feb-04  @  09:30 AM   -   RE: how the hell does this bastard..

0dB

Link?:  No link

A routers only of use if you are sharing an Internet connection, it will do nothing between 2 PC's, otherwise back to back with a cross-over UTP ethernet cable between the network cards is the easiest and cheapest way.

The home networks wizard in XP creates a floppy disk you run in the second PC that sets up printing and sharing etc.

You shouldn't have to go in at the level you seem to have. Keep it simple mate.

Message 4/9             24-Feb-04  @  09:36 AM   -   RE: how the hell does this bastard..

beds

Link?:  Link

i connect 3 pcs together with my router. but 2 network cards and a crossover cable will do the job. network cards are very very cheap.

Message 5/9             24-Feb-04  @  10:40 AM   -   RE: how the hell does this bastard..

K

YOU'VE GOT TOO COMPLICATED THERE

remove all the stuff you setup ( 'service for microsoft networks' and made it the 'primary network logon' (as well as everyhting else a couple of times..) )

all that stuff needs to be removed and get it back how it was before

you want to use a simple workgroup

each machine in network settings should have TCP/IP & CLIENT FOR MICROSOFT NETWORKS, PACKET SCHEDULER & file & printer sharing

You should need a logon apart from the password for each machine which you'd login to normaly anyways (assuming you DO add a password & username to stop anyone accessing your PC)

basicaly once the machine is logged-in you dont need to login to connect

set each machine to OBTAIN AN IP ADDRESS AUTOMATICALY

put each machine into a WORKGROUP, not a DOMAIN in your Network settings (right click on 'my computer' in explorer to access these bits)

Call the WORKGROUP whatever you want, the same on each machine

make sure the drives are set to SHARING = ON (right click on drive-image in explorer and simply switch sharing ON, with no passwords or anything like that

oh WAIT!..

you didnt setup XP using NTFS file format did you?

(please say no!) cos then all the sharing becomes like NT with password stuff.

Message 6/9             24-Feb-04  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: how the hell does this bastard..

craig

That's only true if you're running XP Pro - XP home doesn't support advanced security, and XP/2K running under workgroups only secures the "My Documents" folder.

-Craig

Message 7/9             24-Feb-04  @  02:28 PM   -   RE: how the hell does this bastard..

craig

And like a couple people have said - you'll need a crossover cable to make this work without a router - a regular network cable won't do it.

Message 8/9             24-Feb-04  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: how the hell does this bastard..

xoxos

yikes! anti-candida diet.. my liver's been purging toxins for the last 24 hours.. woke up spewing. every time i move my head i see garbage. feel like a wet cat :p

okay.. i'll have to get bakc to you when i'm able to make sense of/enact that.. just saying thanks..

and bloaergh..

Message 9/9             25-Feb-04  @  07:31 AM   -   RE: how the hell does this bastard..

k

you can use a cheap hub box for a larger setup - still no need for a router.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)