aaa What does the FM knob do exactly? - Synths & synthesis forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

27-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Synths & synthesis

Subject: What does the FM knob do exactly?

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             18-Mar-04  @  05:00 PM   -   What does the FM knob do exactly?

Steve Roughley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Don't get me wrong, I use it alot, but I have no idea why sometimes it sounds good an sometimes it sounds impossibly awful. What does it do to the oscillators?

Steve.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             18-Mar-04  @  06:45 PM   -   RE: What does the FM knob do exactly?

craig

Link?: Link

It uses the "value" of one oscillator to change the frequency of another osc. It'd be like using a hugely fast LFO to modulate pitch. There are many different algorithms to implementing this, so FM on the Virus sounds different (though similar) to the FM on my Nord.. The Virus FM seems to sound "good" in even divisions of 128 - 64, 76/32 sound a little buzzier, 16/48 etc sound grungier still.. The sync on the Virus nicely evens this out while maintaining pitch, but on the Nord, using sync and FM will throw you completely off pitch depending on the waveforms of the oscs.

I don't have enough technical background into why this is, just my observations.

Even though the FM might sound grungy, buzz, or downright crappy there're still uses for that type of timbre   I find that especially in a bassy sound you can use a tight LPF to just let a little of the grungy character into the sound while maintaining a pretty smooth bass element.

-Craig

Message 3/6             18-Mar-04  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: What does the FM knob do exactly?

Steve Roughley

Cheers for that Craig. One more thing though. I sometimes find that the FM will only sound good at a very particular setting, 34 or 81 for example, where any adjustment to this, even 1 notch either way, will sound horribly out of tune. I don't suppose you'd know of any way of getting to grips with the reasons for this (any reading material on the theory behind FM or something)? Its just that I'd like to be able to have enough control over FM as to prevent me from having to cycle through all 127 values until I get a good sound (which is all too often the case).

Regards.

Steve.

Message 4/6             18-Mar-04  @  11:06 PM   -   RE: What does the FM knob do exactly?

milan

Link?: Link

google it for fm synthesis. there are some good tutorials out there, if you can stand the math (which i for one cant)

Message 5/6             21-Mar-04  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: What does the FM knob do exactly?

Scorpion

FM is short for frequency modulation. What it does is simply takes OSC 1 and pitch modulate OSC 2. Like what Craig said its like having a ultra fast LFO. So Frequency Modulation modulates the frequency pitch of an oscilator. Another way to get ring tones and odd metallic noises is using the Ring Modulator. I think its also known as AM short for amplitude modulation. Instead of modulating the pitch it modulates the amplitude or the volume of a waveform of an osc your modulating.

I hope this helps.

Message 6/6             21-Mar-04  @  09:32 PM   -   RE: What does the FM knob do exactly?

Broken Silence

With 2 oscs, detune at like 90 and FM at 1 makes for a huge trance lead :D

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)