aaa Wiring leads. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Wiring leads.

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             13-May-05  @  10:48 PM   -   Wiring leads.

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Tonight I was trying to convert a balanced 1/4 inch jack to 1/4 inch jack lead into a 1/4 inch jack to xlr lead. It was the first time I have ever done this. I was told by the tech officer that I should snip off the jack and then soulder the red wire (hot) to pin 1, the bare wire (screen) to pin 2 and then the white wire (cold) to pin 3. I did this exactly as he said but when I took it home and ran it from the control room out of my mixer to my speakers the signal was unbelievably low, almost to the point where it was unhearable. Now I have looked on the back of my speakers and there is a small piece of text saying Balanced Input : Pin1= Ground, Pin 2= +Ve, Pin 3= -Ve. Does this mean that I should swap numbers 1 and 2 around? Very greatful for any replies, thanks

Lloyd

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             13-May-05  @  11:27 PM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

psylichon

Link?: Link

Dude was wrong.

Pin two should be hot usually. Some manufacturers use pin 3 hot. Getting it wrong will simply flip the phase, easy to fix in the box.

here ya go...

Message 3/11             14-May-05  @  02:27 AM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

damballah

"tech officer"? more like "jack officer"!

start over

sleeve --> pin 1 = ground

tip --> pin 2 = +

ring --> pin 3 = -

also, a good cheap multimeter is your friend

Message 4/11             14-May-05  @  12:43 PM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

k

Link?:  Link

tech officer?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/11             14-May-05  @  07:39 PM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

Lloyd Duddley

Many thanks for the replies, I followed your instructions and the speakers worked well. I now have a different problem. The speakers now randomly pop and click at me. I don't know whether this is anything to do with my poor souldering skills but I have ensured that there is a healthy amount of wire connecting to each pin and that there is no excess wire which can touch any of the others. I have resouldered them both and on one speaker I couldn't clear the remaining soulder out completely but the signal is still getting through. Could anyone recommend what the best material is to wire up speakers D.I.Y style please? Thanks a lot

L.Dudley

Message 6/11             15-May-05  @  02:13 AM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

psylichon

What speakers? amp?

Message 7/11             15-May-05  @  12:28 PM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

k

Could anyone recommend what the best material is to wire up speakers D.I.Y style please

mains copper-core electricity cable is cheapest on a budget, but i assume u use powered speakers yes?... so use signal cable

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/11             15-May-05  @  04:20 PM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

Lloyd Duddley

What speakers? amp?

Dynaudio BM15A's, dunno about the amp as yes they're powered. I really think something must be wrong here because one was humming constantly and they are also now constantly crackling and popping.

Message 9/11             15-May-05  @  07:38 PM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

k

mebbe you knackered something wiring the earth and positive back to front ?

Message 10/11             16-May-05  @  01:15 AM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

Lloyd Duddley

Oh please don't say that. Used them tonight and the same thing, fine and then suddenyl a small pop. I might just buy a decent pair of balanced leads so that I can be sure

Message 11/11             16-May-05  @  02:56 AM   -   RE: Wiring leads.

psylichon

yeah man, totally not worth it to skimp on leads to your monitors. It is literally the last link in the chain, and can ruin everything else before it if not done properly. Probably worth a few bucks to get a proper cable. Besides, you could really be fucking up your amps at the moment.

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)