aaa aes/ebu and spdiff? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: aes/ebu and spdiff?

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             23-May-05  @  12:02 PM   -   aes/ebu and spdiff?

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

What is the difference between AES/EBU and SpDiff Digital output on the back of my Mixmaster then?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             23-May-05  @  12:49 PM   -   RE: aes/ebu and spdiff?

beds

Link?: Link

not much

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spdif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES/EBU

Message 3/10             23-May-05  @  01:46 PM   -   RE: aes/ebu and spdiff?

Dominic

Can't you just write the whole thing out for me? You're so selfish sometimes...........

Cheers Beds.

Message 4/10             23-May-05  @  05:10 PM   -   RE: aes/ebu and spdiff?

Dominic

Q What's the difference between S/PDIF and AES-EBU digital connections other than the type of connector?

Both are stereo audio formats and both transmit the audio data in the same form, though S/PDIF is unbalanced and AES-EBU is balanced. However, additional information is carried along with the audio and S/PDIF carries some consumer data that AES-EBU does not. For example, S/PDIF carries data relating to the SCMS copy protection system, and can also carry DAT and CD track IDs. AES-EBU does not recognise this data, which can be both an advantage and a disadvantage. It's an advantage when you want to work on material that has SCMS copy flags set to prevent copying, as these are ignored by the AES-EBU interface. On the other hand, you may want to use DAT IDs to trigger automatic track ID creation in a CD writer, but these will also be stripped out if you use the AES-EBU connection.

Another difference is that the nominal operating level of S/PDIF is around half a Volt whereas AES-EBU is around 10 times greater at five Volts. Special adaptor cables are available to convert AES-EBU to S/PDIF, allowing the audio data to be transferred between formats.

so AES/EBU will give me a hotter/better/balanced digital signal into Logic then?

Message 5/10             23-May-05  @  06:27 PM   -   RE: aes/ebu and spdiff?

psylichon

It won't be "hotter" just "different". It's a beta/VHS thing. AES interconnects are heavier-duty and better equipped for permanent installation, so they have become the professional standard. But proper spidf connections are not in any way inferior in audio transfer quality, in my opinion.

Message 6/10             24-May-05  @  01:52 AM   -   RE: aes/ebu and spdiff?

damballah

they're just ways to get the bits from one place to another. AES/EBU won't make your bits warmer or punchier.

Well, it might add some "shiny".

Message 7/10             24-May-05  @  07:31 AM   -   RE: aes/ebu and spdiff?

milan

heheh... hi d!

Message 8/10             25-May-05  @  01:03 AM   -   RE: aes/ebu and spdiff?

k

Link?:  Link

dont use rca phono leads off your hi-fi tho, you need proper cables even tho normal rca phono's will work

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/10             25-May-05  @  05:41 AM   -   RE: aes/ebu and spdiff?

psylichon

specifically, you need 75 ohm cables for spdif, and 110 ohm for AES

Message 10/10             25-May-05  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: aes/ebu and spdiff?

k

Link?:  Link

there ya go, they arent expensive, but you should get 'em

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)