aaa tenser. trancer? - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

06-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: tenser. trancer?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             14-Aug-05  @  11:53 PM   -   tenser. trancer?

OMO

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Tenser is a rare (for me) foray into the world of house/trance. Thing is I'm not too sure which it is. I'd really appreciate some comments about this one from whomsoever, especially the peeps here who are into this sort of thing, and do it all the time. I think it works well, but that's only my opinion.

Thanks in advance,
Omo.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             15-Aug-05  @  11:58 AM   -   RE: tenser. trancer?

k

Link?:  Link

honestly?... i had it looped for 1/2 an hour, and whilst not unpleasant to my ears (i could listen to it over and over no probs), it's not really floating my boat that one  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             15-Aug-05  @  05:18 PM   -   RE: tenser. trancer?

OMO

Thanks for your comments k. Maybe I should call it Titanic?

Seriously though, I'm not a natural trancehead, I just fanced doing something different, it was recreational more than anything else. Having said that, it was suggested to me that I might try my hand at something like that if only to expand my repetoire, as it were.

It was done fairly quickly, I think I finished it in about 24 hours, so I'm probably going to end up going back to it and doing more work on it, to try and get it er, floating.

Message 4/9             19-Aug-05  @  06:21 AM   -   RE: tenser. trancer?

mcc>

i figure i owe you one since i persuaded you to float yer stuff up this way.

many things i like about this piece. the general vibe. the array of sounds. the shifting of scenes.
the use of differing textures to revisit common harmonic themes.
the staccato guitar-ish thing towards the end...and the ebo-ish lead sound as well.
i like that it's long.

what i don't like> the length...it's simply a little too long. i think you could lose much of the first 3 minutes. you should be able to squeeze the essence of the entire thing into 8+.
what i like the least is what i'm guessing to be the main tenser theme or phrase.
maybe it's the sound...but i rather think it's the phrase itself....too basic or nagging.
i also think your main drum loop could use a little assistance via eq/filtering it to feel differently throughout...and perhaps a few additonal hats etc to offset the sameness of the beat.
no need to overdo and make it clever....just spice it up a little.

i really think this track has the essence of something worthwhile.
it is generally pleasant and there are sections which hint at brilliance.
a little work towards clarifying it's intent would not be a waste of time.
nice music really.

Message 5/9             21-Aug-05  @  06:50 PM   -   RE: tenser. trancer?

OMO

i really think this track has the essence of something worthwhile.
it is generally pleasant and there are sections which hint at brilliance.

Wow! Coming fom you Clay I take that as a real compliment, thank you.

I've noted your comments and will be applying what you've suggested when I get back to doing some more work on it. I'd agree with you about the first couple of minutes, I think I'd wise to lose them altogether. The drums are a bit basic too, drums have always been one of my weak points, I suppose it's do with the fact that I regard them as being there to mark time rather than an integral part of a track.

To my ears this track is crying out for a vocal chorus instead of that tenser phrase which I did find a bit nagging myself. But as I don't know any vocalists, and can't afford to buy Vocaloid, there's not a lot I can do unless I can find a suitable sample to edit and play about with.

Once I've done it, I'll post the results up on the site, but it won't be yet, as I'm busy with other projects at the moment, and I'd like to take a bit of time over it.

Message 6/9             23-Aug-05  @  03:15 AM   -   RE: tenser. trancer?

Garuna

Link?: Link

I don't think the dance loop belogns there at all. Maybe replace it with something slower. There are some interesting ideas but it's not a song yet.

Message 7/9             27-Aug-05  @  12:18 AM   -   RE: tenser. trancer?

CydoniaCell

hmmm... well... too much reverb on everything I think... and the string/cello-ish pad that opens the track doesn't seem to be in key...

lot's of Rompler sounds here that seem to just be washing around.

I would...

get a BASSLINE in the song... with all this fantasy washy synthy melody, there's nothing holding the song down...

Increase the level of the clap and maybe the kick too... and yeah, maybe program the sounds of your percussion a bit.. I think, they're a bit too "out of the box" to get away with 'em...

interesting ideas, just not really coming together the way i think you intend... and not grabbing me really at all... but then, with all that reverb it's easy to let it slide to one side and get on with my day, if you know what i mean.

And I'll agree with Clay that it's too long... 10 minutes doesn't have to be too long but this just doesn't seem to do enough to go on like it does.

p

Message 8/9             28-Aug-05  @  02:23 AM   -   RE: tenser. trancer?

OMO

Many thanks for your comments Garuna and CC. I started it as a bit of fun, nothing serious at all. But with all the comments I've had I think I'm really going to have to approach it seriously. I agree there is a lot of reverb, I like plenty of reverb, but maybe there is too much, or maybe just too much feedback on the verb itself. I'll get a bassline too, in fact I'll bear all the criticism I've had about it in mind when I redo it, and see if I can't kick it into some sort of shape. As I said at the beginning this isn't what I normally do, and to be honest I'm still puzzled by the ins and outs of a lot of dance music. But if there is something worthwhile there, then I'll try get it working.

Message 9/9             28-Aug-05  @  02:07 PM   -   RE: tenser. trancer?

Maarten

Yeah, make some more variations in the drums and maybe level out the the melody a bit I felt it was standing out a bit too much as it came in. Listening on the laptop though so I could be wrong but that's what really caught my attention. I'm not really getting tickled either, I think the melody (bells) and the stabs sound a bit too static... def. nice ideas which deserve some more attention.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)