aaa New SX tutorial video online (part-1) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

Viewing all 50 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

Original Message 1/50             22-Aug-05  @  05:59 PM   -   New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

New SX tutorial video series starting... part-1 is online - part 2 being added tonight

oh yeah!... the new system makes it so easy to knock them out, I did 2 over the wekend between other stuff.

Part-1 is up, zipped downloadable DIVX format .AVI video finished at 720 x 576 so you can watch it full-screen if you like and it still looks ok, (43mb d/load)

we've managed to get a better image for an even smaller filesize now by experimenting for ages with different custom renders - the video is a full 1/2 hour in length at only 42mb!

part-2 is being checked right now prior to rendering for the www and will DEFINATELY be added tonight

Parts 1 & 2 cover intro stuff... Intro to the arrage area, how the grid & snap all works both in the arrange & key edit windows (piano roll edit)... plus other little required bits and bobs noobs should know to get cracking & make some music inc' using the line tools various poermeatations for doing shit like drawing in gate-controller moves etc

Part-3 is going to be DRUM-MAP tutorial... Part-4 will move on to apply the same tools, snap & quantise tricks as used in arrange & edit windows to work with the track-automation.... then we'll move on, etc etc

i reckon it'll require mebbe 6 or 7 'intro' parts before we can get to the "Making a song from scratch using stuff we've previously learned"

Plus, Joy of joys, we managed to also get a system setup so SX can play VSTi's while being filmed with the screen-grab s/w, so it's going to be pretty cool the further in we go cos we can show stuff and you can hear it.

anyways, if you're a Cubase Noob, this isnt like a manual where you have to wade thru every tiny detail bit by bit just to glean the bits you DO need to do the work. The series only covers the required stuff to get working, you can look up tiny more obscure features in the manual.

cheers

next up for video is the final BCF footage for SX, and then an additional video for using 2 x BCF with SX & LOGIC, then we're back to new parts for the SX series... (somewhere we'll fit in Part-2 of the e-mu 1820m, patchmix s/w walkthru) then we'll be up to date.

stay tooned!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/50             23-Aug-05  @  10:10 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

Rags

Link?: Link

Really useful stuff, especially the snap part has some good tips even for experienced users.

Message 3/50             24-Aug-05  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

cool cheers  

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/50             25-Aug-05  @  01:45 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

hey, we got Part-2 done finaly last night, it just has to be rendered into a web-file so it'll definately be added tonight

it's long tho - a whole frikkin hour!!. We tried to make it shorter but there's just so much things inside the key-edit window to cover.

ok, it'll be up later tonight and it'll be around a 80-90mb d/load.

Message 5/50             26-Aug-05  @  05:27 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

ah... now, after we rendered Part-2, we discovered that we could crisp the image better by adding .001 % sharpness to the whole video - so we're re-rendering right now and it'll be done in another hour or two - sorry for this extra delay but the image will be crisper so it's worth it.

we'll also re-render PART-1 with the SHARPNESS filter and re-add it for a crisper image after part-2 is uploaded.

Message 6/50             27-Aug-05  @  03:03 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

ok it's uploading now, and part-1 has been replaced with the new sharper crisper version.

Message 7/50             27-Aug-05  @  08:39 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

done

Message 8/50             28-Aug-05  @  09:33 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

Rags

cool...

though.. for me the video and audio got out of sync with a few seconds after the first 15 minutes or something....

Maybe its just an old codec or something, coz its the same with windows media player and bsplayer too..

Message 9/50             29-Aug-05  @  01:28 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

eh!!

Message 10/50             30-Aug-05  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Link?:  No link

Hi,
The tutorials are fantastic.

In Lesson 2 (key editor) I can't find "edit vst instrument"
I am using sx3 with latest update.
Help.

Regards,

George

Message 11/50             30-Aug-05  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

ah, yeah, in SX3 the button is called 'OPEN DEVICE', but is the same icon.

Message 12/50             30-Aug-05  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

what!.... hold everything, you're right the audio IS out of sync... how the hell?... well we'd better se what the hell is happening, cos the master avi file was in sync i'm sure

damn it!

Message 13/50             30-Aug-05  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Nice and easy does it.

A cup of coffee and a fag should do the trick.

George

Message 14/50             30-Aug-05  @  02:18 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

ok, the master file is definately in sync ok, so we'll try re-rendering the web version... dunno why this happened, sorry

Message 15/50             31-Aug-05  @  08:15 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

Rags

I'm telling ya!

But as I said, this is a great way to learn the ins and outs of a sw. Hey, I don't even use cubase, still it is fun to watch (I'm a geek yes). K, have you considered mentioning a few hotkeys which could come handy and speed up the workflow? Like those 1,2,3... number keys (not on the numeric keyboard) which can be used to change the grid subdivision?

Message 16/50             31-Aug-05  @  12:55 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

hotkeys later

well i dunno i think it's pointless cos these things are useless if you can forward or rewind and watch a certain bit. It has to have 100% audio sync.

Message 17/50             06-Sep-05  @  03:48 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

aha!.... ok, found a programme that can set variables for keyframing audio and it's churning out perfectly audio-sync'd renders. Only problem is, despite using the same encoder codec the actual video seem to be slightly less quality, so we';re just experimenting to find the best video setting, but everything we render off has perfect audio sync even if you forward/rewind to any position.

Anyways hopefuly we'll get the new sync-locked versions up tonight.

sorry about that.

Message 18/50             06-Sep-05  @  05:54 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

Rags

Hey k, have you seen this ?
It can combine already compressed video/audio streams, might come handy.

Message 19/50             06-Sep-05  @  07:45 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

yup, that's the one we used  

but like I said, oddly it doesnt match video quality for the exact same divx encode rate as when divx encodes within Vegas - weird, still, it's prolly just a matter oif tweaking the settings.... we soldier on *sigh*

Message 20/50             07-Sep-05  @  03:44 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

heh. ok, sorted, and as a bonus the files are now smaller!... Stays in perfect sync no matter where you start/forward/rewind the video. I'm just zipping them up now to upload.

agan, sorry about this glitch.

Message 21/50             17-Sep-05  @  09:43 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Hi k,

The tutorials are fantastic.

I have Cubase Sx3 Unleashed, but I find your approach far more interesting

There is just one thing, buy yourself a lighter that lights first time.

Is Tutorial number 3 on the way?

Regards,

George

Message 22/50             18-Sep-05  @  11:21 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

glad you find em useful, um... zippo, their quality has definately gone downhill.

Message 23/50             19-Sep-05  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

we're gonna try and get pt3 done tonight hopefully, which'll be about cubase 'Drum Map'

Message 24/50             22-Sep-05  @  02:08 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

k wrote:

were gonna try and get pt3 done tonight hopefully, whichll be about cubase Drum Map

Hi,

Should be interesting

Regards,

George

Message 25/50             22-Sep-05  @  04:00 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

heh, nah didnt have time sorry, the weekends free tho. soon, as mentioned we did it twice, but it's like recording a take for a song, you do some takes until you get a good one which feels right balance between waffle and relevent info & total time  

we didnt get that yet with previous takes

Message 26/50             09-Oct-05  @  11:45 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Hi,

Are we having problems with the DRUM-MAP tutorial

Regards,

George

Message 27/50             09-Oct-05  @  03:10 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

yes... the council decided to dig up the entire street for the last 11 days outside the window.. non stop pnuematic drilling all frikkin day, every day! (make it stop!)

Message 28/50             10-Oct-05  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Move to the country

Message 29/50             11-Oct-05  @  01:05 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

tell me about it.

Message 30/50             11-Oct-05  @  10:54 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

they're still at it again today... and also we had saturday AND sunday too *arrrggg!!!*

Message 31/50             11-Oct-05  @  12:25 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Just give that zippo a flick (maybe a couple) and relax

Blood pressure and all that

Message 32/50             11-Oct-05  @  02:03 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

too late for that, you could fry an egg on my forehead i reckon. What infuriates me is they did this already 6 months ago, they dig the whole frikkin street up bi-annualy. I reckon it's some insider 'councillor & his contracter mates firm' job, I mean for gods sake how many times do you need to keeep fixing the same thing, AND by law we are sposed to receive advanced notice, which we never do of course. If you try and find out what the fuck is happening and for how long they steer you to a (get this) 'Customer support line'.... yeah right, cos i'm a 'customer'... "This road i bought is faulty!"

lol

Message 33/50             12-Oct-05  @  02:40 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

Zazza

I think they call it collateral damage...

;)

Message 34/50             12-Oct-05  @  03:42 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

well round here they call it: "The council are a bunch of completely useless bastards!"

Message 35/50             12-Oct-05  @  11:11 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

yay!.. i got one victory over the dreaded council today. The bastards have been sending out car removal team to 'steal' one car a night from outside our building.. when they resurfaced the road outside they added double yellow lines but all the signs still say you can park after 6:30... anyways after persueing the buggers for all last week on the hpone and checking the rules etc they admit they did it wrong cos i discovered they have to go thru an application process to change lines and they cant produce the paperwork to back it up... so they will repaint it with a SINGLE yellow within 7 days, which also means all tenants & their visitors who've been towed over the last 12 months will be able to claim the money back AND sue if they lost work! (it's 200 quid for a tow fine here!)

bastards, just a bunch of faceless self interested arseholes riding ruffshod over the community.

Message 36/50             13-Oct-05  @  10:09 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

milan

lol... outrageous! there would be a minor revolution if they tried something like that here.

Message 37/50             13-Oct-05  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

you in france?

Message 38/50             13-Oct-05  @  12:18 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

milan

no, in austria. AND i live in a building built for worker's union during the working class uprising in the 30's

Message 39/50             20-Oct-05  @  05:38 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Hi K,

Have those fucking bastards fixed your street yet.

I really need that third SX tutorial

Regards,

George

Message 40/50             21-Oct-05  @  02:05 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

heh, they've gone round the corner now yes... soon baby.

Message 41/50             28-Oct-05  @  08:19 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

ah!... Part 3 (drum-map) is being rendered tonight... should be online tomorrow and it's the biggest one yet showing everything drum map can do including integrating multiple internal s/w sound generators into drum patterns, layering different generators in patterns to create layered drumsounds, working with fixed playback-length and note-length dependent playback drum/sampler devices, key re-mapping, adding external drumboxes/samplers into patterns with realtime routing into s/w onboard mix, utilising a mix of s/w drumboxes/synths/samplers AND external hardware sound generators as a master 'drum sound set', etc etc. 1 hour running time.

Message 42/50             02-Nov-05  @  03:13 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

eeee... bloody lo-fi www... um, tyhis is causing some probs cos the template we setup for these tutorials is giving a lowe quality playback due to the addition of live camera footage. so if we make it the same size roughly as part-2 for around an hour of video the quality is worse. if i get it really nice throughout, the filesize is much bigger 225mb for 1 hour 6 minutes

i'm trying another encode using a different settings to try and get it smaller, but if it doesnt work, is 260mb too big for a web d/load?

Message 43/50             02-Nov-05  @  04:41 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

sox

Have you tried a DivX conversion?

sox

Message 44/50             02-Nov-05  @  05:32 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

that's what i'm using, but it's not consistant due to the way it compresses video - you cant just say 512kb like you can with wmv or quicktime etc

Message 45/50             02-Nov-05  @  09:19 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

oh well, i'm uploading now... it's weird, cos i tried re-rendering at a much higher rate, and while it came out slightly better for most footage, when the cam footage comes in, the compression codec concentrates on that and still even at a high rate this causes the SX screen to drop in quality and suddenly have more artefacts... it didnt seem to make any difference to that, so i tried all afternoon to render it with the 'fast motion' setting switched on and with a 'pre-scan' added, to analyse the movie first to reserve bits for encoding the mixed live/sx-screen footage at more active moments.... but it crashed every time after about an hour... tried to do it all afternoon, but everytime it crashed, so stuff it.... the normal one will have to do, cos frankly the difference between the 250mb and 130mb versions i pretty negligable, the pixilation where it occurs at some points when returning to the SX screen from the camera action isnt that bad, but y'know, if ONLY we could distribute this in DV quality *sigh*

so i guess it'll take an hour to upload, it's 104mb zipped

Message 46/50             04-Nov-05  @  10:55 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

sox

Just downloading it now......

sox

Message 47/50             07-Nov-05  @  02:27 PM     Edit: 07-Nov-05  |  02:30 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Hi,

Theses fantastic tutorials, 1, 2 and 3 are really "SPECIAL-K"

Sorry about that.

Keep up the good work

Regards,

George

Message 48/50             07-Nov-05  @  09:24 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

hur hur

Message 49/50             03-Feb-06  @  06:06 PM     Edit: 03-Feb-06  |  06:23 PM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

George O'Hara

Hi K,

I'm ready for number 4

Regards,

George

By the way, do you know of anyone interested in an original "1963 Fender Jazz Bass", Sonic blue/rosewood s/n L19824. Every part of this guitar (the holy grail of basses) is original, and it plays like a dream.
This guitar has been owned from new and is extremely rare.
If you know of anybody looking for a guitar of this calbre, i'll be glad to let their expert look at it.

Message 50/50             04-Feb-06  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: New SX tutorial video online (part-1)

k

oooo!... I know a few who'd love that bass, if they could only afford it

yeah part-4.... there's been alot of stuff to do, but soon that stuff will be finished, then we can can back on it. There's just a few more things to finish for the music section (7161)

Viewing all 50 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5

There are 50 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)