aaa o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             24-Nov-05  @  11:33 AM   -   o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

kobi_dog

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

HELP!
i'm going absolutely crazy here.
if you look in the post band in the box midi files a few posts back you will see the gear i'm working with. O.K. here goes the stupid newbie question.
i've been trying very hard to grasp the fundermental understanding of the enviroment ,
in my file lists i have drum libaries,there are quite a few and when i try to access these i
fall very much short,i've tried liquerous all sorts,done a lot of reading of articles and the forum
but still have no clue.
i only have the yammy PSR270 as a sound source,i.e. i understand that my DSP24value card has no sounds,does this mean i can only use the sounds that are on the PSR270(only general midi,127) or is it possible to access the other drum patches and can i import other sources of sounds into the enviroment,i.e. bass parts etc.
Am i missing some thing or am i just a dumb ass?
Don't be afraid to tell me(lol)
who knows i might not be the only dumb ass around,

thanks for any sensible advice,
kobi_dog(dreading the replies,lol)

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             25-Nov-05  @  07:19 AM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

Rags

Link?: Link

Hmmm, hope I got you right...

so you've got Logic right? So even if your sound card has no sounds (better say samples) onboard, it still has an audio out, that is connected to your monitoring gear... So basically you can use softsynths included in logic, plus all the free and payware vst plugins you can put your hands on. Samplers, synths, whatever, check plugins section here.

Once you can handle that (there are Logic articles here too), then the next step is to connect the PSR270 via MIDI, to Logic, and connect the PSR270s audio out to your sound cards audio in, and record back the sound into Logic, so you can arrange...

Oh... so, at least I hope I didn't misunderstood ya..

Message 3/12             25-Nov-05  @  11:11 AM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

kobi_dog

thanks for the reply
i'm already connected from logic and the PRS270 keyboard and can send
midi messages through to logic i.e i play on the key board and record on logic then play it
back and i can change the voice,transfer the sequence to audio inst. and it plays the plug ins
with which ever sound i prefer.
So if i undrestand correctly what i have is what i've got but if i want to use the enviroment i
have to have other devices? so as to import them into the enviroment
sorry if i sound dumb, i'm retired and was computer illiterate a
couple of yrs ago and the recording thing has been to say the least a big learning curve
for me, what with the PC,my audio workstation and logic it gets a bit confusing some times,
hoping i can get some clarity without frustrating the knowlegable,

thanks again for your reply,
kobi_dog

Message 4/12             25-Nov-05  @  12:11 PM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

Rags

"what i have is what i've got but if i want to use the enviroment i
have to have other devices? so as to import them into the enviroment "

Ok, I have lost you somewhere in the middle of this sentence. Could you be more specific on what functionality do you miss from your current setup? If you could illustrate with a simple example what do you want to achieve and at which point you don't know how to step forward....

Cheers,
Rags

Message 5/12             25-Nov-05  @  04:59 PM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

kobi_dog

Thanks rags for your patience,
when i open an enviroment layer and go to clicks and ports my
input device is described as ADSP24 midi 1 device,what i'm trying to get my head around is
every time i look at someone elses enviroment there seems to be all sorts of stuff going on.
If i want other sounds than what i already have i would need another input device and then that would change the look of my enviroment?
i know i'm not making much sense, i think it's because when i check out other enviroments
i'm wondering how i can have them, can i import them from somewhere and use them on my system,like i have all these drums,i.e.1080drums,xp50,d4,and others,then i have GM drums
with which my synth. sincs with ,as far as drum sets go,if i want the other drum sets do i
have to have the hardware for them to work like an Xp 50? what ever that is .
if you get no sense out of this i'll leave it ,i have plenty of sounds to be going on with,
just confused about how the enviroments are sposed to operate,
ta for your help,
kobi_dog
(hopefully next time i'll have an intelligent ques.)

Message 6/12             25-Nov-05  @  07:20 PM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

Rags

Ahha, well, I'm not big expert on Logic environment issues, but... as long as you don't buy new external gear and stick to the internal VST plugins / logic plugins, plus the keyboard... you don't really have to tweak the environment that much.

I mean the environment can be really a great tool, but most of the time you do not need the flexibility it offers. Now if you'd have lots of midi-controlled boxes and controllers - for that you'd prolly need some tweaking... so I think there is no really point in importing an environment for a hardware box, if you don't have that box.

Message 7/12             25-Nov-05  @  09:29 PM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

pict

Hello, the environment is simply the graphical representation of the devices you have in your studio these can be either hardware or software,the clever thing about the environment is that it gives you access to a lot of ways to control midi and audio data and it uses little icons called objects(basically objects are little snippets of computer code that perform specific functions)with cable inputs and outputs graphics that allow you to send a set of instructions to a sound generating device e.g. say you want to have some harmony notes that play along with a melody you can choose an object in the environment that will add specified harmonic intervals along with every note you play so that if if you press a a middle C note on your midi keyboard logic can send that instruction to your sound generating device via an environment object which will also tell your sound making device to play E,G, and B notes thus creating a C major 7th chord.

There is a freely downloadable .pdf file at the following url

http://www.swiftkick.com

called the environment toolkit ,you need adobe reader to view it it is a free download which can be be found at adobe.com.The environment toolkit explains the environment in great detail with examples of how each of the objects work with thorough explanations of their practical applications.A complete understanding of each of the objects in the environment will allow you to perform all sorts of complex tasks in logic but it is easy to get by with simply knowing what the basic objects do.It can get very complicated or be as basic as you want.

If you have no other sound generating devices than your psr keyboard then you will have to acquire either some samples and a sampler or some other sound making devices like drum machines or synthesizers.There are many software examples of such devices available for download on the net many are free.

Message 8/12             25-Nov-05  @  09:38 PM     Edit: 25-Nov-05  |  09:40 PM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

pict

The drums you see are simply drum templates of the most common synths and drum machines that people might possess if you don't have a 1080 synth or D4 drum machione then those templates are of no use to you they are there only as a matter of convenience to save a lot of typing and mouse clicking for people who might already have those models of synths they are not sounds they are merely layouts that tell logic which midi note corresponds to which sound in that particular device.

Message 9/12             25-Nov-05  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

kobi_dog

phew!
it's finally making some sense at last.
i thought i was going crazy but it's finally sinking in,i've got that much to go on with and so many sounds, but i thought i was missing out on missing the big picture,all it was was, i was too close to the screen,(lol) couldn't see the woods for the trees,
thanks for all your help,i'll sleep easy tonight,now that i know i'm not missing out,
(lol)
kobi_dog.(enviromentally friendly)

Message 10/12             26-Nov-05  @  09:13 AM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

milan

great link pict!

Message 11/12             26-Nov-05  @  06:36 PM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

k

Link?:  Link

kobi man, yopu have logic right... dont U use the synths which come with that? (and free VSTi's?)

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 12/12             28-Nov-05  @  02:52 AM   -   RE: o.k. laugh if you want.a stupid question

kobi_dog

thanks all,
i've downloaded the toolkit ,thanks pict,i'm understanding more each day,
a really good explanation of what goes on.
yes K, i've read about the synths ,and from what i understand i have to go into audio objects
and effects>built -in synths,but all i can come up with is audio object,and a fader comes up in the enviro.can't find audio objects and effects for the life of me,and yes K i have the free VSTi's,
ta.
There's always another button to press somewhere? if i could just find it i'll rule the world(lol)

too many effin buttons if ya ask me

still,i'm learning every day,which can't be a bad thing,

to all of you before me,
kobi_dog.

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)