aaa my top 5 albums of 2005 - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

23-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: my top 5 albums of 2005

Viewing all 105 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 11

Original Message 1/105             06-Dec-05  @  04:27 PM   -   my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

In order. MY top5.

1. Gorillaz - Demon Days
2. Beck - Guero
3. Nouvelle Vauge - Nouvelle Vauge
4. The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightening, Strike
5. Z - My Morning Jacket

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/105             06-Dec-05  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

The Moujik

Link?: Link

That time of year again?!

1. Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett
2. Jamie Liddell - Multiply
3. Data'chi - The Elements
4. Boards of Canada - Campfire Headphase
5. Ian Brown - The Greatest (although not strictly speaking an 'album')

Message 3/105             06-Dec-05  @  06:54 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

beds

no particular order -

jamie lidell, super furries, beck, gorillaz, can't think of anyone else.

Message 4/105             06-Dec-05  @  09:27 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

top 5? i didnt buy enough albums for that  

here's one tho: Kabanjak meets Protassov - Grow

nothing special. pleasant up-tempo funky instrumentals on a hip-hop/breakish tip

Message 5/105             07-Dec-05  @  10:16 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

2005 is the year that I finally grew out of house music. 29 years old at the mo and the last 12 years have been an adventure but I'm definatley bored of it now. Much more into "a good ol' tune" nowadays. Was fun though. I'll probably get a bit sad now at start collecting 70's soul or something........

Message 6/105             07-Dec-05  @  10:35 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

me niether....beck, boc, queens of the stone age cant think of any- in fact there have been a few bets of 21st century shows on which have shown how severly lacking the market is

greg

Message 7/105             07-Dec-05  @  11:08 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Steve Roughley

Yeah, I'm pretty limited an' all, but here goes:

1. Pole Folder - Zero Gold
2. Infusion - Six Feet Above Yesterday
3. Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel

I have heard loads of other albums this year, but none really struck me as anything better than OK (I wasn't even entirely impressed with Depeche Mode's new one, but I like them so much I thought I'd include anyways).

Message 8/105             07-Dec-05  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

Much more into "a good ol' tune" nowadays. Was fun though. I'll probably get a bit sad now at start collecting 70's soul or something........
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i rarely find them these days- there just doesnt seem to be the weight of guitar bands there used to be that are any cop and are consistantly good...too many band wagons and shit- the new one being to put a 'the' in front of your band name and do some minimalist 80's inspired monophonic riffing- not that the charts should really bother me but it seems everyone is very very similar these days...and the charts just amplify that...i personally cant think of a 21st century guitar band who are exciting in any way- would be interested to hear who people think are as i may be missing a trick...

dance music truly excites me whereas guitar music generally doesn't these- and i am much better on my guitar than i am with my beats- melody is dead, today is all about rhythm...

greg

Message 9/105             07-Dec-05  @  04:56 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Yeah I know what you're saying but I'm the opposite now. Much prefer a "moving melody" than a "complex" IDM drum pattern. Been listening to loads of "beat first, music second" dance music over the years and I'm kinda a bit bored of it now. Yeah of course there is a time and place for a rockin house beat or a jump up drum and bass break but it doesn't excite me anymore.

I get excited when I listen to obscure, spacey funk, the Guero album or hip hop inspired music. Maybe its more the tempo - as I get older the tempo of the stuff I like seems to drop. Heheheh.

Moujik - good call on Ian Brown. He's wicked! Pure head nodding business.

Anyone heard the whole Kate Bush album? I think her King of the Mountain single is really different and cool.

Message 10/105             07-Dec-05  @  05:50 PM     Edit: 07-Dec-05  |  05:50 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

beds

you old bastard. it'll be radio 2 and terry wogan next.

mind you i can't talk, been listening to "james taylor - hourglass" today. purely for research/training of course.

Message 11/105             07-Dec-05  @  06:10 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

Much prefer a "moving melody" than a "complex" IDM drum pattern
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

yeah me too,

"today is all about rhythm..."

idm aint really rhythm imo, of course its rhythmical but must be the worst kind of music to want to get you moving-= hell even 'twin calls it braindance....... in fact ive found that even my fave idm rhythm was actually originally a loop....

greg

Message 12/105             07-Dec-05  @  06:44 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

Link?:  Link

hey radio 2 already is a better channel, sad but true... radio 1 is crap in the daytime.

i almost cried the other day when an advert came on for The Keiser Chiefs - the voice over said:

"The ASTONISHING new album from The Keiser Chiefs..."

yeah, i'd say they are right!... it's truly 'astonishing' boundry-pushing music

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/105             08-Dec-05  @  09:15 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

does the keyboardist have any other sound than that square wave bloop?

greg

Message 14/105             08-Dec-05  @  09:58 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

beds

it's the best square wave bloop he's got

Message 15/105             08-Dec-05  @  10:30 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

oh, its a nicer bloop than mine.........

greg

Message 16/105             08-Dec-05  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

oh btw... been listening to Sergent Garcia again lately... anyone know any other exciting sounding non-rock big live bands by any chance?

Message 17/105             11-Dec-05  @  01:25 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Absorb Fish

my top 5 is:

Beck guero
BoC tch
MIA - Arular
m83 before the dawn
Lake trout - Not Them You

in that order

Message 18/105             11-Dec-05  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

steve

k wrote:

hey radio 2 already is a better channel, sad but true... radio 1 is crap in the daytime.

aint that the truth. even R1's better than 1 extra though, which is absolutely fucking shocking in the daytime - just take radio one's playlist, take out the stuff with guitars and in and there you have it. it doesn't seem to serve any purpose at all, they might as well only go on air in the evening's when it becomes worthwhile.

Message 19/105             11-Dec-05  @  01:03 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

agreed, there's a crisis it seems in daytime radio. the 'revamped' channels which only play new stuff are failing and the classic shows taking all the listeners... I guess the 'new-look' shows dont go off-beat enuff but also dont play oldies so they are just playing the cheesiest commercial dross & they all play the same 20 records. Capitals having probs i think, kiss is a sad joke and 'jazz-fm' plays NO actual jazz at all daytimes, x-fm plays only corny commercial indie.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 20/105             13-Dec-05  @  04:13 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

So looks like Beck's Guero won. I like the tracks "Missing" and "Scarecrow".

Message 21/105             13-Dec-05  @  04:15 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

i wouldn't disagree- very strong album

by the way did you like midnite vultures? that seems to divide beck fans- i myself love it

greg

Message 22/105             13-Dec-05  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Absorb Fish

midnight vultures was my least favorite of the batch but I didn't hate it. I don't listen to it all that much though.

Message 23/105             14-Dec-05  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

but oooh kate bush...just dug out my old hounds of love cassette 2 weeks ago.
not for no reason either.

she's one of the reasons god made england i think.

Message 24/105             14-Dec-05  @  09:56 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

hahaha, mcc likes kate bush!!

(adopts alan partridge voice)

Rolling the ball, Rolling the ball, rolling the ball to me....

greg

Message 25/105             14-Dec-05  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

ok... my claim to Kate Bush fame!... my ex-wife's previous boyfreind before me ran off with Kate Bush - lol

Message 26/105             14-Dec-05  @  02:52 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Brian Tench was the mix engineer on Hounds of Love. I was his studio tea boy for 18 months.

Message 27/105             14-Dec-05  @  03:18 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

how does he take it? two sugars?

greg

Message 28/105             14-Dec-05  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Breakfast blend teabags. No sugar.

Message 29/105             14-Dec-05  @  03:42 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Oh yea and he always compressed his reverb return channels and always put a touch of reverb on the delay return channels. And he always used the Lexicon tiled room program @ 10 metres for his drums. And he always used 2 Summit compressors over the final mix. I know the guy who mixed Coldplays albums used this technique aswell. Thats all I can remember at the moment.

Message 30/105             14-Dec-05  @  04:21 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

dominic...you now have a new worshipper.
there's some very off-the-wall and brilliant production on that album.
i bow to any tea-boy of good lord tench!

as for your connect k> to her majesty.... i shall remain jealous and deeply humbled.

Message 31/105             14-Dec-05  @  05:19 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

I know, its really humbling to know that when they needed to do track automation on that album - they had to sellotape one pencil across every 6 faders on the mixing desk and control things that way.

Message 32/105             14-Dec-05  @  08:57 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

...and always put a touch of reverb on the delay return channels

i always used to do that in hardware days. Nice Dom... how d'ya wangle that job?

Message 33/105             15-Dec-05  @  12:46 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

psylichon

Dominic wrote:

And he always used 2 Summit compressors over the final mix. I know the guy who mixed Coldplays albums used this technique aswell. Thats all I can remember at the moment.

actually Michael Brauer uses no compression on the 2-mix proper, though he uses a hell of a lot of squeeze everywhere else. An extremely revealing article on his multibuss compression technique lays it all on the line here:

Michael Brauer @ TapeOp

And an excellent guest moderator forum in the Gearslutz.com archive. Highly recommended reading.

On a different note, I liked Midnight Vultures a lot. It's poppy fizzy, sexual irreverance is pure fun and mayhem... sounds like an album that was a lot of fun to make. Some seriously sick grooves on there too ... (Nicotine and Gravy? come on... that's a great fuckin track!)

Favorite albums of the year? Well as mentioned in another thread, I'm seriously underexposed. Impressed as hell with Jamie Lidell's efforts though. Very original and fun on repeat listens.

Message 34/105             15-Dec-05  @  02:52 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

On a different note, I liked Midnight Vultures a lot. It's poppy fizzy, sexual irreverance is pure fun and mayhem... sounds like an album that was a lot of fun to make. Some seriously sick grooves on there too ... (Nicotine and Gravy? come on... that's a great fuckin track!)

someone heard me inquiring telepahically about this album?
i like beck when he gets poppier...not that i'd ever discourage an artist any other route.
i'll still believe pop and it's fringe is somehow the true testing-ground for ideas....to what extent they're of use to the larger masses.
just as i believe the best so-called experimental/intelligent(?) music has touches of pop...the best pop always dares to experiment a little....for my tastes at least.

it's nice to hear about this year's music.

Message 35/105             15-Dec-05  @  09:11 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Psy - he did/does. It was in Sound on Sound magazine. 4 page interview.

K - fluke really. I did one session with him and then he kept asking the studio manager if I could assist him on his sesson days. i reckon it was the newspaper I used to have ready for him in the mornings that swung it!!!! He is a Mirror man.

Message 36/105             15-Dec-05  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

>>>>>>>>>>>

agreed, the grooves, execution, ideas are sick!! the lyrics are great fun and i love he flits between styles in one song- great live too....he was doing that album when i saw him at reading- started with swamp doing a scratch set and then tghe full ensemble turned up- one of the best shows ive seen....the boy can sing too! 6 octaves or summat silly...

greg

Message 37/105             15-Dec-05  @  09:33 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

Dom in what way did he compress the verb returns? was it to duck them whilst the drum hits and let the verb suck back up after it? just interested is all...

greg

Message 38/105             15-Dec-05  @  11:00 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

File?:  [image]

[image file]

He used the channel compressors on the Neve reverb returns so just made it sound fatter. Oh and he always used the symphonic chorus patch on the SPX 90 for his hats.

Psy - He used 2 of these patched into each other for the stereo mix. Like the Coldplay mix bod.

Message 39/105             15-Dec-05  @  11:47 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

the sony jobber? cool-

chorus on hats? hmm interesting.....spose it could give you some shimmer....i often find that those tips you'd think would only be applicable to the electronic/pop domain actually originate from far subtler genres...

the bobyy owskinski book on mixing is great for inspiration...i dont try and copy the mixers tips exactly as i dont have the gear (and the one trick i did try- ny compression technique didnt work) but it does provide some cool possibilties and routings...like the q'ing of reverb returns...or making them mono and panning, or using delays instead stuff like that always interests me....

i just wish i had a big fat mixing desk!!

greg

Message 40/105             15-Dec-05  @  11:54 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

S'true. I've read quite a few articles this year that say its better to try and achieve a sense of space with delays first, then apply reverb. Also alot of authors saying its better to use exciters rather than additive eq. BBE's Sonic Maximers is easily my best purcahse this year. You put that plug in over say a snare track and it completely changes the sample into something that sounds much more pro. Amazing plug-in.

Message 41/105             15-Dec-05  @  12:34 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

hear hear, GREAT plugin (and hardware)

yeah the old SPX90 much underated in this world of 24bit new fx units, but the old SPX stuff is still valid... that's quite a common technique on the hats, or used to be.

Message 42/105             15-Dec-05  @  12:36 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

yeah ive used the hardware version- found it quite easy to over do and get that scooped heavy metal guitar sound over your whole mix...ear gets used to it very fast and i dont regret selling it. the valve spl vitalizer i has was nicer on the top end but again sold that as i felt i was using it as a crutch...i think on indiviudal tracks are generally where thes things shine, especially on your hats....and stuff.....

delays are def needed, in fact ive been looking for a cheap and dirty delay unit purely for space.....

greg

Message 43/105             15-Dec-05  @  02:05 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

well u cant go wrong with an SPX for delays (alhtough the top delay time isnt huge), and the verbs whilst old by todays standards sit nicely in a mix. often overly detailed reverbs dominate too much.

Message 44/105             15-Dec-05  @  03:12 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

psylichon

I'm with Greg re: sonic "enhancers"

K, we need a pissing monkey icon innit!

Message 45/105             15-Dec-05  @  04:05 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

and one passing out the geritol.
indeed!

Message 46/105             16-Dec-05  @  01:41 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

psylichon

File?:  [image]

[image file]

no really, like this, only with the ability to put the name of something you dislike beside it.

Message 47/105             16-Dec-05  @  01:43 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

psylichon

notice the final shake. it's flawless. incorporate immediately, please.

Message 48/105             16-Dec-05  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

cLownsiTTerz

not to curtail one's enthusiasm but ya really need some pisssssing monkey icon just to say something sucks?
not that there's anything wrong with convenience but just spit it out man (what words are for).

what's with this itching sensation?
geritol-related no doubt.

Message 49/105             16-Dec-05  @  06:48 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

psylichon

buzzkill. the monkey provides humor along with angst. it's a metaphysical thing.

and why the name change? for annoyance sake?

Message 50/105             16-Dec-05  @  09:41 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Psy just loves his toliet humour.

Message 51/105             16-Dec-05  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

beds

you knows it.

Message 52/105             16-Dec-05  @  12:02 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

yes that 'final shake' is very cool, hadn't noticed that before - it doesnt work too well on white Bg tho

Message 53/105             16-Dec-05  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

psy i think ive just found my new avi!! that is v cool and im going to try and included it in at least three sentances a day.....hehe

greg

Message 54/105             16-Dec-05  @  02:30 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

i know about the monkey>being born the year of.
it's like these million cars in southern cali with these decals of this little sombrero-wearing guy
pissing on this.... that....chevy.....ford....raiders....dodge...just silly shit.
if not very original it does let us know something about the owner.

now what name change?
you mean lala gondola~?
how'd you hear about that?!

Message 55/105             16-Dec-05  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

its an icon my football team use ( a pompey fan pissing on a saints shirt ) so yeah i not only like it but wants it!!

greg

Message 56/105             16-Dec-05  @  06:58 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

sounds religious to me.
funny also is the fact that the same outfit making the famous sombrero pee-pee boy also make their little guy humbling bowing to the cross.
or.....better yet pissing on the darwin's evolution-lizard.

if we're talking urination...i prefer those fully-clothed germans you run across on the net
(in my case) quite frequently.
some of those girls are so absolutely polished.

Message 57/105             17-Dec-05  @  12:21 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

a pompey fan pissing on a saints shirt
heh heh

Message 58/105             17-Dec-05  @  10:38 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

psylichon

k wrote:

yes that final shake is very cool, hadnt noticed that before - it doesnt work too well on white Bg tho

Then use "ghost" ya ninny.... that should be the default DT colors anyway. IMNSHO

and why must you have such a passionate opinion on everything clay. I want my damn pissing monkey, what's it to ya?

Message 59/105             18-Dec-05  @  05:57 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

lala gondola

was that passionate? that's odd coming from scorp.
one thing that differentiates us is that mine rarely runs below the surface.
nothing worse than repressed=emotion....but if it's thee monkey we're excited about....ah...shit man...
ask santy....he's a giver.
as in...give.
i guess i shouldn't be surprised...nor should you.

Message 60/105             18-Dec-05  @  05:58 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

lala gondola

of course if i'm getting paid.....then work is different.

Message 61/105             19-Dec-05  @  10:14 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

this a cool thread- anyone else got studio experiences with pros and any tips they would like to share- definitly gives you ideas for experimentation

greg

Message 62/105             19-Dec-05  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

yer, use a Roland Dimension D on your basslines. Best chorus in the world ever?

Message 63/105             19-Dec-05  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

heh... just what i need... after minimising my hardware studio setup get a huge box to take all the free space again.

mind you... those old roland boxes are totaly affordable nowadays, keep seeing space echos and such in small ads.

Message 64/105             19-Dec-05  @  12:35 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

I heard that those UAD bods are doing a plug-in version of the Dimension D.

Message 65/105             19-Dec-05  @  01:01 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

chorus on basslines? worth a go i guess....

greg

Message 66/105             19-Dec-05  @  01:25 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

What I would like to know is if anyones got good programmed drums tips and tricks. I modulate pitch, attack and release via velocity. Is there anything else I could modulate (apart from cutoff and res) via velocity on drums in the exs24?

Over my drums, I have in this order:-

Logic Compressor
Logic lo cut eq
Sonic Maximiser
Autofilter (on a 12db filter) - cutoff to taste anything from 65% on kicks through to 95% on hats
Vintage Warmer

What other plug-ins are good over drums? Do you use overdrive and/or bitcrusher? Do you automate the parameteres depending on if you're in the verse or chorus? Do you put a bit of flange on your hi-hats? Do you like automating the modulation delay over percussion? What plug do you use on shakers to make them shakey?

Come on share the wealth?

Message 67/105             19-Dec-05  @  03:38 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

dude... i think you're overdoing... no wonder you never finish anything with all those parameters to tweak/automate!  

i dont modulate anything in exs because then i'd need a channel for each *single* sample i use... if i need it i use battery. plugs? logic comp, waves red4 eq. i like bluetubes overdrive for distortion with its post drive hi/lo-pass filters. sounds kinda "warm" to me. maybe i use a gate for triggering a reverb on loudest hits only or whatever... dont use autofilter on anything cause i can never find a setting that sweeps the way i want it to. i started using logic exciter on NSkit because i like the in-your-face sound, like yer standig in front of a kit  

why are we talking about drums in this thread again?

Message 68/105             19-Dec-05  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

most of the tricks i have utilse the mpc in that my sound comes more from layering/ reeveloping than any real effect...of course compression, eq, repitching are all key but all things your probably used to doing- the only thing i could offer that i sometimes do but you haven't mentioned is modulate the sample start point with velocity- this (if setup corrrectly) helps the quiter drum hits sound softer by starting the sample after the initial attack phase so is sometimes better for softer hits than using attack->velocity...

what is the auto-filter by the way? i once heard a cool tip using logic in that you cut the very lows of your bass and then used the autofilter to bring a more transparent low frequency in...but they said you had to sue auto-filter for it to work so wonder how the auto-filter differs to a normal lpass

greg
so i'd like effects tips too- i rarely run a whole beat through an effect as i lose bottom end and definition.....

Message 69/105             19-Dec-05  @  04:14 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

i agree the exciter plug-in in logic can be very nice.
the fact you hardly need to think about it is definitely a plus.

Message 70/105             19-Dec-05  @  04:22 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

and not that i'd ever try to achieve such a sound....but does anybody have any idea how PIL got that drum-sound on body?
that's a landmark achievement in terms of rock drums.
that album still shakes to this day every time i hear it.
a bit like led zeppelin with a brain.

Message 71/105             19-Dec-05  @  11:21 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

eek... havent heard any PIL in ages...

and Logic's Autofilter is a normal lopass filter with envelope follower, an lfo, and overdrive. i dont think it differs much from any other lpf.

Message 72/105             20-Dec-05  @  10:31 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

The reason I started using the auto filter on drums is because I read that "how to drum and bass" article in computer music and they had a producer in who would cut 34hz and 20,000k from ALL his loops before bouncing them to audio files to import into and mix in Logic. I s'posse that one would be able to create more headroom from cutting the tops aswell as the bottom?

I always thatought that its better to cut from 80hz upwards on drums (starting with the kick) but maybe thats too much for a style like drum and bass. I'm kinda sticking with cutting 60hz from the bass and 80hz from the kicks and then 200hz from my snare, then going up in hz as the drum type goes up with me placing a low cut of 550hz on crashes. That sound about right? I kinda like the 12k cut on drums like kicks, snares and percsussion.

Message 73/105             20-Dec-05  @  10:43 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

i tend to cut the bottoms and tops off too- in fact i generallys ample my drums into my s900 so don't need to take the top off..hehehehe

greg

Message 74/105             20-Dec-05  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

Royksopp said that their entire "drum sound" is due to the fact that they use the Akai 950 for their drums. They said it makes them sound kinda "loopy" like nothing else can. Effectively shown off on their track, 49%.

Message 75/105             20-Dec-05  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

it does give a nice character and ive taken to sampling whole loops of my beats to get that gelled sound- especially if i eq and compress afterwards- in fact with my symetrix compressor ive got some very fat sounding live drums out of it...

im just trying to get better results with cleaner hits (ie house drums) for that french house grit....

greg

Message 76/105             20-Dec-05  @  04:48 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

definitely something to be said for rendering your beats into loops.
i also love the auto-filter to the extent of being guilty of abuse.

i am curious dominic when you say you cut those frequencies out of an instrument.... is it a slight cut you're talking about or are you really taking that frequency out?

anyway...double-eeek harry belafonte's jump down spin around.
oh precious vinyl!

Message 77/105             21-Dec-05  @  07:24 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

psylichon

ok, since we're off topic anyway, I got two words for you: parallel compression. I've discussed it before, but I think it's the single easiest way to make in-the-box mixes sound like big board mixes (mostly because the guys that use the big boards do parallel compression ALL the time)

Simply bus a group of tracks (I always use it on drums) to two different busses. On one, you leave it relatively clean, on the other you compress the snot out of it. Then you just gently feed in the compressed signal to the clean signal until you get the best of both worlds: punch of transients and girth of tone. Easy! Just be careful about phase relationships. With auto delay compensation in most DAWs these days it's much easier than it used to be.

It works best on transient material, but try it everything... you'll be surprised at the results you get. Try it on the whole mix when mastering! Some high end boxes have a "blend" function for this very reason. Try it for other processes besides compression, too....

Message 78/105             21-Dec-05  @  11:42 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

ive never had parallel compression work...always get phase issues whether it was trying it with my old 3630 or 266xl or recently with my symetrix...i tried compensating by delaying the dry signal but the latency im getting must be very small as i couldn't match up the sounds...gutted really as id love to hear how its meant to sound....

greg

Message 79/105             21-Dec-05  @  04:46 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

not that i know anything (except that there is a god)
but i'd think you'd want your dry-signal to come first.

just the same....any procedure which might result in something unique is always potentially
useful. still i always enjoy learning what psy & the pros are doing to get those results which they're known for delivering....since clarity punch and expression are an option one should never ignore.
compression is the big mystery to me
though that never stops me from using it on almost everything and channel i do.
one thing i should probably start doing though is to send my drums to a separate bus.
just too lazy to set up another channel but i think i can get around that.

Message 80/105             21-Dec-05  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

mcc>

ooops...been a long time since i hit the yellow frown-face icon (top-right) and got our
mysterious blue morosed-face guy.
maybe it's only when i mention god.

Message 81/105             22-Dec-05  @  06:04 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

psylichon

monkey, how are you recording? DAW? Mixing on a board or in the box? If you're trying to send and return to the analog world from an ITB mix, you're always going to have to deal with latency issues (unless you use PT HD ). But there are ways around it. Basically, you should double buss your, say drum tracks to two pairs of outputs. One would loop through your compressor and the other would go right back in to your audio interface. Then you monitor the returns. That way they would share the D/A/D latency and be phase accurate (at least to each other... you may want to slip them back a bit after printing). If you're mixing on a board, you shouldn't have such issues (one of the many missed blessings of analog).

And I'm really trying to not sound like a snob here but.... I wouldn't bother doing it with those analog comps... maybe the DBX, but leave the Alesis out of it! Seriously, there are free plugins that sound much better (and that's more a compliment to the quality of plugs than a dis to the alesis... though really, dude, it sucks... in a bad way)

Message 82/105             23-Dec-05  @  03:58 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

cheddar

Just 2 and not just this year
BigBud - Fear of flying
Nyuorican Soul - Nyuorican Soul - months with this album

shout for Ginkgo - Eskimo point and old radio countdown chart recordings
ching chinga ching

Message 83/105             30-Dec-05  @  10:17 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

On a friends computer so have to be quick. Happy new year to all DT. Can I just add that I've watched all the Jools Holland programmes over xmas and the best performance/songs was/were by Rufus Wainright - fucking demon!!!!!! Best album of 2006?!?!?

Message 84/105             30-Dec-05  @  01:30 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

that show has really lost the plot tho don't you think? it's become so safe and 'middle-aged'

Message 85/105             03-Jan-06  @  10:37 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

monkey, how are you recording? DAW? Mixing on a board or in the box? If you're trying to send and return to the analog world from an ITB mix,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

im all analogue- i use a spirit fx8 which only has one group- i was sending the drums to the group- compressing it and then mixing it back in and i always got a bit of latency- i sold my alesis ages ago as it just didnt workw ith some material and did the same with my dbx2661 but have always liked my symetrix 501 (despite being mono) so tend to use that- the problem i think i have is that im not using inserts on my group- im having to send the signal down normal leads and return the signal to a spare channel on my mixer- is this where the latency could become noticable?

greg

Message 86/105             10-Jan-06  @  09:37 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

monkeybasket2001

oh, i tried that dual comp thing again last night a different way-

i had the same beat coming out of different mono outputs being triggered at the same time, one had a comp on the insert and one didnt and i still had phasing issues....so am guessing it's my comp (symetrix cl-150) that is causing the latency...

greg

Message 87/105             10-Jan-06  @  02:14 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

k wrote:

that show has really lost the plot tho dont you think? its become so safe and middle-aged

Yes it has. Still OK to catch up on though and you do get a few artists now and again that are new (too me anyway) like this Austarilian dude called "Son of Dave" who is a kinda one man band guy. He was wicked - he had a shaker type thing on his ankle, some sort of weird hand drum thing and he was singing and beat boxing with his mouth at the same time. He was really cool.

But I think the Q magazine readers are middle aged which seems to be the way Jools Holland wants to go and the demographic he wants to appeal too. Q magazine did a readers top 100 albums poll voted for by thousands of Q readers and the top ten albums were made up of Oasis, Coldpay, Nirvana, Stone Roses, Radiohead, Beatles, etc. Jeff Buckley was in the top 10 aswell so at least they had some taste. Although the 100 list did through up some bands that I didn't know about before like Television which apparently started the art rock sound sound and I didn't know the Pixies invented the "Nirvana" sound either.

Message 88/105             10-Jan-06  @  07:42 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

ah, so you dont know Television & Pixies then?... blimey  .. mind you, i'd never heard of Sum41 so it just shows what i know, lol

Message 89/105             10-Jan-06  @  11:28 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

but "Pixies invented the "Nirvana" sound"? what is that all about?

Message 90/105             12-Jan-06  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

well.... anyways.. James Blunt eh, fucking hell.. what's that all about?! *sigh*

Message 91/105             12-Jan-06  @  05:29 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

I know, 5 Brits!!!!! Oasis aren't going because their album didn't get nominated in the best album category. AHahahaha. Good.

Message 92/105             12-Jan-06  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

yeah well, frankly OASIS would seem positively hardcore compared to the softpron tripe of Blunt... jesus man, whats it coming too, marketting has 100% taken over now it seems. And to think we used toi churn out inovative bands and genres a few years back.. not any more (apart from grime which is banned from mainstream radio tv mags and all awards as far as i can tell)

Message 93/105             12-Jan-06  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

aah grime and marketing in one sentence... mary anne hobbs was touting it as the greatest thing since sliced bread just few days ago. "a great new underground movement", "the energy in the club was amaaaaaazing" "worlwide scene" etc etc... its a bunch of 14 year olds in their bedrooms on fruityloops dammit! talk about marketing

personaly i thought Tempa's first album was great, then it all went downhill  

Message 94/105             12-Jan-06  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

The Moujik

Milan - did you listen to that show? I thought it was pretty good...

Message 95/105             12-Jan-06  @  11:20 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

indeed i did. have it on my HD actually  . i just dont like the downtempo-ish jagged darkness they are making nowadays. mind you, i do like my beats broken and have nothing against darkness... its just that all of that grime stuff sounds to me like it was made to be jagged, irritating and non-groovy. and i'll say its monotonous and not very innovative either.

but hey, if you like it i wont complain. thing is, i *really* liked Horsepower's first album, and i could get partially into the 2nd one. dubstep allstars... hmm... too much grinding bass and not much else... sounds like music stoned rusty robots would be listening to! i mean, how in hell do you dance to that shit???

and here's the link for those who DID like the show  :
breezeblock dubstep warz special

regards

Message 96/105             12-Jan-06  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

on the other hand, anyone wants to talk about broken beat? agent k / bugz in the attic / maddslinky / 4hero?  

Message 97/105             13-Jan-06  @  09:10 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

The problem with Grime is that most of the propducers don't know any music theory. The beats and (2 note) basslines are ace but where is the musical content? The only "musical" grime/dubstep producer (IMO) is DJ Distance.

The other reason I think Grime will only ever be a "pirate" radio/underground movement is because nobody dances at the raves. Its difficult when you have producers who release tunes that try and be more complex in the drum department than their prodcuer mates latest tunes because there is no "rolling groove" for the punters to dance too.

I've been to Foward (the scenes flagship night) twice and all the different crews just stood with the backsagainst the wall. Nodding moodly.

The Dubstep Allstars album sounded quite good in when it was released but it sounds a bit stupid now. IMO.

Message 98/105             13-Jan-06  @  09:35 AM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

I've been to Foward twice and all the different crews just stood with the backs against the wall.

see, that exactly what i thought!

Message 99/105             13-Jan-06  @  01:10 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

The Moujik

The problem with Grime is that most of the propducers don't know any music theory

I think if an in depth knowledge of musical theory was a pre-requisite, we wouldn't have had much decent music made in the past 20 years!

Anyway, each to his own... not keen on grime myself, but am liking the dubstep stuff I've heard recently.

Message 100/105             13-Jan-06  @  01:40 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Drop

The Moujik wrote:

The problem with Grime is that most of the propducers dont know any music theory

I think if an in depth knowledge of musical theory was a pre-requisite, we wouldnt have had much decent music made in the past 20 years!

Anyway, each to his own... not keen on grime myself, but am liking the dubstep stuff Ive heard recently.

Not an in-depth music theory knowledge, I'm talking ANY music theory knowledge. There is only so far a 2 note bassline and one 3 note chord is gonna hold my interest for. IMO.

Message 101/105             13-Jan-06  @  01:58 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

The Moujik

Yeah, fair play... I was just messing really. Anyway, my point was more that I enjoyed that Breezeblock more than that I like grime/dubstep in general.

Message 102/105             13-Jan-06  @  03:39 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

oh, true, the badbwoys have wrecked the scene in uk, it's just no dancing & bad vibes, sad really, but the music WAS banned from commercial airplay, so it was kinda like punk being banned, but permenently

Message 103/105             13-Jan-06  @  05:09 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

Dominic

The funniest/most tragic MC line I ever heard over a grime track was:-

"You'd better just run or I'll stab you with my gun!".

Message 104/105             13-Jan-06  @  07:34 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

milan

lol... yeah, its ruff in "da endz"

Message 105/105             13-Jan-06  @  11:05 PM   -   RE: my top 5 albums of 2005

k

lol

Viewing all 105 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 11

There are 105 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)