aaa Spikes. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Spikes.

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/16             04-Feb-06  @  08:59 PM   -   Spikes.

Lloyd Duddley

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all, long time no see. Hope you are all fit and well,

I have a problem - I need to record up to 16 tracks simultaneously into Pro Tools LE and am using a 002 desk. I am using the 8 analogue inputs with no problem and am using my EMU 1820-M to convert the remaining 8 analogue inputs to digital so that I can send them via ADAT into the 002. I have managed to do this however I am getting huge spikes on my recordings. As far as I know I havent done anything wrong - My sample rates match, I have everything else muted, I have tried using different leads, no crossed leads, the CPU load is fine too. Does anyone have any suggestions please because I am going to need to sort this out pretty soon as I have a session booked which I can't afford to cancel. I've tried both the digidesign and EMU forums who have tried to help but still couldn't solve this problem.

I would love to hear your replies guys.

Thanks a lot

Lloyd

P.S Hello to K, how's the band?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/16             04-Feb-06  @  10:00 PM     Edit: 04-Feb-06  |  10:02 PM   -   RE: Spikes.

VERA

Link?:  Link

hello!

you may find that the audio is offset from the center of the wave, record it in a wave sequencer and have a look at it, another possiblility is that you might have somthin audio related faulty giving off bad data bits causing spikes. If they arnt the cause im stuffed.

Message 3/16             05-Feb-06  @  09:34 AM   -   RE: Spikes.

milan

Link?: Link

spikes? like glitches you mean? very short peaks?

could be your interfaces are not synced even if the sample rates match, and they drift apart from time to time... in this case you need to make sure 002's adat in is slaved to emu's output. go to digi's preferences and find sync settings, set to external/adat in. if both interfaces have a wordclock in thats even better- go from emu's out to digi's in.

hope this helps!

Message 4/16             05-Feb-06  @  07:33 PM   -   RE: Spikes.

damballah

yep, sound like a clock sync issue. How you doing this anyway? The breakout box has no ADAT out, that's on the PCI. So you're routing it from the breakout box through patchmix to the digital outs? Is this on a separate computer or same one? Seem like problems in the making? Wouldn't a stand alone 8 ch converter make more sense?

Message 5/16             05-Feb-06  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: Spikes.

Lloyd Duddley

Ok I am using the ADAT out of the card (not the breakout box) and have now changed the external to ADAT in the Digi preferences and this has cured the spike problem. However now the ADAT channels are all out of sync with the channels coming straight in through the digi analogue ins. Is there a way to combat this apart from trying to move them afterwards? Thanks a lot

Lloyd

Message 6/16             05-Feb-06  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: Spikes.

damballah

the culprit there has to be the latency of the 1820m. hmmm. Turn it down in the control panel?

Message 7/16             05-Feb-06  @  10:05 PM   -   RE: Spikes.

Lloyd Duddley

I don't think you can do this in the Patchmix DSP control panel. Maybe from within Pro Tools?

Message 8/16             05-Feb-06  @  10:11 PM   -   RE: Spikes.

Lloyd Duddley

No dont think you can do this

Message 9/16             06-Feb-06  @  05:12 AM   -   RE: Spikes.

damballah

well within cubase you can fool with the latency through the ASIO control panel within the devices setup or some such stuff. can you just record with the 1820 and the 002 and not go in and out to get back in again?

Message 10/16             06-Feb-06  @  11:10 AM   -   RE: Spikes.

Lloyd Duddley

Dont know how well my CPU would cope with recording in 2 progs at once. Although could maybe use Cubase to determine the latency???

Message 11/16             07-Feb-06  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: Spikes.

psylichon

Which version of PT? If it's 6.4 or above, you should be able to compensate for converter latency. It will be done automatically with digi interfaces, but you'll have to do it manually for third parties. I've never done this myself, but it should be somewhere in the I/O setup menus. I would record a spike of some sort through all your inputs simultaneously, switch to samples timebase in PT, and highlight the space between the digi and the motu prints to see your latency in samples. Then you simply input this number as the delay compensation value for the MOTU inputs.

Message 12/16             07-Feb-06  @  05:53 PM   -   RE: Spikes.

k

hey Lloyd.. how's the course goin man?

the band is ok, we got a temp drummer who's pretty good... not too flashy but real solid.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 13/16             08-Feb-06  @  12:27 AM   -   RE: Spikes.

Lloyd Duddley

Sounds great - got any gigs coming up? We've had a few local ones nothing too fancy - played at the Pleasure unit, bethnal green last night - was absolutely shite, cant win em all.

Uni's going alright - 3rd year now getting really tough and heavy work load too. Next thing on the agenda is a job - he he he

U still using the EMU?

Message 14/16             08-Feb-06  @  09:40 AM   -   RE: Spikes.

k

the e-mu's disconnected at the moment as it goes, using the hoontech (st-audio) rack instead, i prefer it.
Yeah, the Pleasure Unit for all the hype is an atrocious pa & sound, and for a venue trying to establish 'rock nights', it'd prolly be better to choose a deejay who doesnt play Bjork all bloody night

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 15/16             11-Feb-06  @  09:11 PM   -   RE: Spikes.

Lloyd Duddley

Agreed

Message 16/16             11-Feb-06  @  10:24 PM   -   RE: Spikes.

milan

so did you sort it out in the end?

Viewing all 16 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 16 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)