aaa Remixed a Track.... and - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Remixed a Track.... and

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             14-Feb-06  @  10:08 PM   -   Well I Remixed a track.... and

marsipani

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I remixed a track for a local pop group about to make it big (cough..) I did it using samples of their first EP, containing about 6 tracks (just took some drums, vox , brass and other chops and dices of every track and made my own remix) they didn`t ask me to do it I just did it freehand (without contract)

now I`m about to hand it over to them, its a triphop (ninja tune style) remix that sounds quite allright (its worth some cash) sounds nothing like their orginals but you can tell if played side by side that I sampled them.. so what are my rights here, since they own all the samples...
I mean could they just release it and say f u punk we own the samples we are going to realese it, even if its my work..

so how do I protect myslef, can I register it to my own artist name (company name) even if I haven`t cleared the samples...

thx
a

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             15-Feb-06  @  12:11 AM   -   RE: Remixed a Track.... and

beds

Link?: Link

about to make it big

are they signed? record deal? publishing? you say you're about to hand it over .. what for? are they gonna release it?

Message 3/8             15-Feb-06  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: Remixed a Track.... and

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

No, they couldn't release it without your consent, similarly you couldnt register it as an original work, or release it as 'bandname - track name ( your remix )

If they liked your 'on-spec type mix' there record label would contact you and pay you either a straight up fee,essentially buying the mix to exploit fully (most common) or sometimes can involve a form of third party rights wherby if your mix made 3rd party compilations/licences you could collect further.

Either way, the band as the original writer collects all publishing/writers and performance fees for your remix which can be as important as actual physical sales in todays market - In days gone by if they didnt like it you could have pressed white label bootlegs and shifted some vinyl on the fly, but thats pretty much finished with, unless its a hit, but still exploiting a track by 12" only now is risky business and is really all you could do by yourself

Alan!

Message 4/8             15-Feb-06  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: Remixed a Track.... and

marsipani

Thank you Allan, you sumed it up perfectly...

&.. just a quick follow up... I can release/uppload it on the www as long as its only for promotional purpose right, even if I haven`t cleared all the samples, or even got their consent.. right? its promotion (noOne is makeing money).. correct me if I`m wrong but that goes for anything right, I mean I could release a remix of (say..) the Rolling Stones and register it as original work, as long as its only for promotion..right?
thx!

great site!

cheerios....

Message 5/8             15-Feb-06  @  11:23 PM   -   RE: Remixed a Track.... and

Influx

no, you cant ever register it as an original work, as its not. if youre using other people's stuff, its not an original work.

dont use the vocals and you open your window a hell of a lot wider, as in...its pretty damn hard to claim drums and basses and stuff

Message 6/8             16-Feb-06  @  07:03 PM   -   RE: Remixed a Track.... and

marsipani

thanks for the input fluxy ;)

& sorry for my bad choice of words, orginal work = as in my work/remix, its still the bands track but its my remix, what I`m trying to say is = registering the remix as my own..

..but
it dont really matter, it doesn`t have to be registerd, does it! I can just post it on a web space and on my demo CD, don`t need no paperwork unless I want to make cash,

getting rid of the vocals would take away from the vibe of the track as music is about catching emotion/vibe and with out the vocal dropping = your amazing = a large part of the vibe is gone, the vocal is also an accent just before the main pattern drops so without it, it just doesn`t rool the same..& I`m not looking to score this as my orignal work anyway, its their sound just in my way..

I want them to be credited!!, it works in my favor as I`m just trying to get a free ride on their train, so I guess I should show a little more humbility and let it all be up to them...

but I stand correct on the promotion thing right!?, as long as it`s only for promotion I can release anything I want anyway I want... right

Message 7/8             16-Feb-06  @  07:07 PM   -   RE: Remixed a Track.... and

k

Link?:  Link

well i spose they could come after you, but it'd cost alot and they'd get nothing i spose, they'd have to be 1001% anal to do that

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 8/8             21-Feb-06  @  11:48 PM   -   RE: Remixed a Track.... and

marsipani

1001% wow ..well guess I`d they`d need the cash for a gigantik butt plug then

btw.. the band mates are super cool dudes, no need to worry about any anal sex, don`t know about their label though, just wanted to find out my rights,

so again BigUP for the replys guys !!

cheersios...

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)