aaa what about this then!... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: what about this then!...

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

Original Message 1/32             22-Mar-06  @  05:10 PM   -   what about this then!...

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Announcing Focusrite Liquid Mix

A Revolutionary Liquid Multi-channel Firewire Mix Processor

BitTorrent link for the exclusive Liquid Mix Review video (185MB) added

HERE.

Liquid Mix’s onboard DSP hosts 32 classic EQs and 32 vintage compressors simultaneously in the mix – an impossible task to achieve with your computer’s CPU alone.

Each of Liquid Mix’s 32 channels provides Compressor and EQ emulations selected from a huge pool of high-quality vintage and modern day classics. 40 Compressors and 20 EQs are available straight out of the box, with an expanding library online. Furthermore, a totally unique hybrid 7-band ‘super EQ’ can be built out of separate classic EQ sections in every one of the 32 channels. Each channel appears as a separate VST/AU/RTAS effect within the sequencer and will work within all major applications, including Pro Tools.

Liquid Mix uses the same patented Dynamic Convolution process as Focusrite’s Liquid Channel. Unlike standard convolution techniques, Dynamic Convolution utilizes vast processing power to sample the effect of a classic processor on a series of audio pulses, at many different gain settings and frequencies. In Liquid Mix, all this processing is done using onboard DSP, so the processing has almost no effect on your computer’s own CPU.

Liquid Mix’s DSP is housed within an elegant desktop control solution and connects to the computer via Firewire, which also provides bus-powering. The physical metering, screen, rotary controls and buttons on the hardware help to provide a tactile ergonomic solution, placing the sounds of an array of high quality vintage processors at your fingertips. You can choose to control each channel either from the desktop control unit, or from within the sequencer, using a simple GUI that functions exactly like a plug-in.

An optional expansion card is available for Liquid Mix, allowing users to increase the number of available channels at higher sample rates (sold separately). The card is quick and easy to install and fits neatly into the underside of the unit.

The original Liquid Channel won a plethora of awards, and has been a worldwide hit in the audio production world, from project studios to post production and broadcast facilities, not to mention the Live arena. Liquid Mix complements the original, delivering dynamic convolution for use in the mix. Since The Liquid Channel’s vast, elaborate and expensive analogue mic pre section is not required at mix down, Focusrite has been able to bring Liquid Technology to the masses at a much more accessible price.

Liquid Mix Highlights

One of a kind – any Compressor and EQ in history
Every Liquid Mix channel uses dynamic convolution to provide 40 compressors and 20 EQs, with a free expanding library online.

Onboard DSP
32 Channels of Liquid Mix Compression and 32 EQs run off the desktop hardware’s own DSP – many more than are possible with CPU alone

Software and Hardware control
EQ and Compression can be applied via a hands-on control surface, or within your DAW application via a simple GUI.

Hybrid Super EQ creation
Unique 7-band super EQs can be created, constructed from separate classic EQ sections of your choosing

Desktop Metering
Large format LED bar-graphs mean ergonomic display of levels and processor impact.

Optional Expansion Card
An optional DSP expansion card is available to increase the maximum channel count at higher sample rates.

Price and availability
The Mac version of Liquid Mix is targeted to ship in Q2 of 2006. The PC version is expected to follow later in 2006. The unit is expected to retail for just £499 inc. VAT in the UK. Please contact your distributor for local pricing (visit www.focusrite.com/wheretobuy.asp for a full distributor listing).

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/32             22-Mar-06  @  05:11 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

File?:  [image]

[image file]

and this is the plugin gui.... no idea about latency in realtime fo this tho.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/32             22-Mar-06  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

beds

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

latency shouldn't be a problem if they show up as a vst innit.

Message 4/32             22-Mar-06  @  06:22 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

milan

32 liquid channels sans mic pre for 1/8 of the price? cool!

can we have some reverb too?  

Message 5/32             22-Mar-06  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

looks the dogs!!!

Message 6/32             23-Mar-06  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

Rags .aka. Welder

Hmmm, so the 32 signals must pass through the box or what? Can it process VSTi output, or this is only for mixing external inputs in the computer, and this box is an in-between unit?

Sorry, if my terminology suxx

Message 7/32             23-Mar-06  @  10:19 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

Influx

Rags

its plugins, bro. just like a UAD-1, or powercore. Used to process channels, inputs, whatever.

K...got a link to where you found this?

Message 8/32             24-Mar-06  @  10:49 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

got it as a news item but there doesn't appear to be a page on their site about it yet

Message 9/32             26-Mar-06  @  12:16 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

stagster

Link?:  No link

yea a link would be cool, you got me sniffing all over the web.

Thanks

Message 10/32             26-Mar-06  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

beds

where's this thread disappeared to?

Message 11/32             30-Mar-06  @  11:18 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

ok... Focusrite asked us to remove this news until after 29th... now it's back

Message 12/32             30-Mar-06  @  07:30 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

milan

lol

Message 13/32             31-Mar-06  @  04:40 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

Influx

still no mention of it on their site.

Message 14/32             02-Apr-06  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

jesus!... this thread's had 5 thousand plus views in a week!

we gotta get the review unit

Message 15/32             21-Apr-06  @  09:43 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

heh... I gotta little surprise coming soon....

Message 16/32             11-May-06  @  08:13 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

heh, well i got an exclusive on it today!.... and it's 100% on my christmas list... and sadly it'll be a wai until christmas for us OC windows users... drat!.. Initial release is going to be for Mac only in about 4-5 weeks, with the windows version coming along in around a further 5-6 months.. I cant beleive it!

anyways, what an amazing bit of kit!... I'm rendering up the video which should be online later tonight... it's quite a long video at around 50 minutes, but Rob at Focusrite stepped thru the whole thing and it's pretty in depth.... we didnt get time to render off some examples. A. Because not all the emulations were installed yet on the demo computer, and B. cos of time on the day. However, I lfet him a couple of loops which he's going to process thru 4 or 5 classic comp's so we can hear some examples. However I can say the comp's I heard sound gorgeous, and although we did film the comps in action the audio wont be so good on the cam render, certainly nothing one can listen to for a proiper example.... Also the eq is superb and you really can hear differences in character between different eq's.. Pultec or Joe Meek, or API etc etc

what i didnt realise is, the unit doesnt use modelling at all, it uses convolution sampling to reproduce the original units... I saw the manual so far, & it even lists the model number of the actual original hardware unit used for the sampling

anyways, later for the video.. amazing product at 449 quid which is the same as the release price of the original basstation!

Message 17/32             12-May-06  @  07:54 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

sorry about that,... i expected it to be ready, but then realised something during the edit... We decided it needs decent bandwidth audio to be a decent demo, but, due to the camera recording the vocals lower than the music playback, it meant using a track compresor on the audio track... not ideal if you're showing a compressor at work cos you want to hear the actual unit's compression which is easily audible on the soundtrack... but, you dont want to hear the video editor audio-track compression.

so we had to go thru the whole edit manualy setting the volume envelopes bit by bit so the speaker playback audio on the video soundtrack is peaking below zero in the video editor without any compression and the vocal dialog is still audible when the level is reduced low enuff so the speaker demo audio playback doesnt go off the chart!

damn... sorry! ... it's rendering the master now, then we gotta do the divx render, so tonight it'll be up - it'll be quite big, but i want the audio at 128k mp3 at least

Message 18/32             13-May-06  @  11:09 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

ok, it's up - see dancetech frontpage - full on hi quality video so it's 180mb but you see everything and the audio soundtrack is 64k stereo so you can hear stuff properly too, albeit it cant show you the subtle detail of the sound.

It sounded really good tbh, this thing is going to be really a huge seller i think... the character of the compressors and eq's is so varied, you can really hear the difference between emulations, and you can mix and match eq bands from different classic units, so you can have a Pultec low & mid eq mixed with an SSL hi-freq band etc etc.... and add-in controls to classic compressor emulations which didn't exist on the original units

32 mono 16 stereo per Liquidmix! (@ 44.1k / 48k - stereo or 2 mono @ 192k)

Message 19/32             14-May-06  @  12:21 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

cheddar

you k there with your "McChicken Premier

Message 20/32             06-Jul-06  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

I added soem audio examples of 6 comps courtesy fo Rob @ Focusrite. See the frontpage for the Liquidmix page link

Message 21/32             08-Jul-06  @  02:36 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

BitTorrent link for the Liquid Mix review video (185MB) added

HERE.

Message 22/32             16-Jan-07  @  04:55 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

ha!!... got it today.... just trying to install it but the install of MS visual C is hanging.... doh!... more soon, will it work ok with Logic 5 on pc...hmmm... using a pci firewire card for it on an older mb

Message 23/32             16-Jan-07  @  09:22 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

omg, wouldnt you beleive it.... you need sp2 to install Liquidmix, so I had to add it, and of course... it f*cked my pc, now i cant open explorer or control panel etc... great, thanx M$!! sp2 screwed a machine thats run reliably for 4 years

Message 24/32             16-Jan-07  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

daryll

I had the biggest headach with this piece of kit, I know it looks all cool and shiny but Focusrite did
a dirty by not telling anyone that it uses the entire firewire port bandwidth so if you try using with a
firewire sound card your monitors scream at you, and of course if you have a ppc g5 and you get a
pcie card to run it on there are still loads of probs.. ended up getting a usb 2.0 sound card but that
ain't the point in book I'm not a pro and the precious little time I get in my little studio got eaten up
over the hols with this problem which could have so easily been avoided if they were honest.

Message 25/32             16-Jan-07  @  10:49 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

milan

geez... that sounds really fucked up!

Message 26/32             17-Jan-07  @  01:36 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

MAN....!!.. I pose they had to use SP2 for additional files, but i wish i knew cos i usualy avoid sp2 like the plague, and never get screwed pc's ever unless hardware dies... first time i ever used sp2 and this... lol,

y'couldn't mek it up!

so now i either roll back to sp1 and hope all will work but then I cannot use Liquidmix, OR... totaly re-install windows, add sp2, test everything, add one sequencer and liquidmix, test again, then add all proggies and plugs ... which also means authorising every synth plugin from NI again...sigh!!

btw daryll .... do you know sp2 cuts your firewire bandwidth back to a low '100' speed and you have to add a patch from microsoft to get it back to 800 again?

link here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222

Message 27/32             17-Jan-07  @  01:55 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

well, managed to fix a few things, i can now open logic and cubase and some other programmes but not control panel or explorer... anyways

nooooooooooooooooooooo... it doesnt work with logic pc!!!!!!!... i dunno why, logic simply doesnt see the dll's

cubase is fine down to version 2 sx, and it works a treat. I didnt apply the sp2 patch to rekick the firewire 400/800 speed but it works fine

there's a slight delay on the actual desktop unit meters when you raise or lower thresholds and level controls, mebbe 300-500ms max, but thats visualy, the audio responds quick when you use the controller pots, so i found i tended to watch the on-screen s/w panel display while twiddling the controller pots, latency is low like a normal plug, nice sounds.

the firewire cable which arrived with the unit is very short, dunno if thats the 'official' lead it comes with cos this is a review version which must have been around a few places first cos it was not totaly packed/wrapped, so mebbe it got a different cable added to the box, but 1 meter is rather short for getting it to reach from a desktop machine under your worksurface to your actual worksurface where you want the controller tablet to sit

anyways flawless performance. no glitching at all when doing things and gorgeous display meters when working late in the gloom, very bright and groovy in dark studio,

nice!!, and it's good it works with an older cubase on an older machine cos people like that might want to benefit from external processing on a lower-power machine

but i am SO gutted it doesnt work in logic PC tho2... it's the only plugin that doesnt!!!... mebbe there's a trick, i'll have to ask, but no doubt like with the e-mu 1820m it was not tested or condidered for pc Logic users, which is ironic cos there's prolly more Logic pc users than mac logic pro, but i just dont get it; garritan, albino, all the NI plugs etc they all work with Logic 5 100%, in fact i cant think of one plugin which Logic doesnt see, even the e-mu dsp fx are seen (even if it doesnt work very well cos of the stupid latency buffer you gotta add to tracks)

gutted

Message 28/32             18-Jan-07  @  10:41 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

well you can use it in Logic with the FXpansion DX/VST wrapper, that works although there is a slight delay i think..it's hard to tell, so you gotta add some delay compensation on the track header parameters box, about 43 ticks, not ideal though getting that delay right, it might vary with overall wrapper loading, not tried that yet, but it works with the wrapper anyways

Message 29/32             29-Jan-07  @  12:33 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

daryll

sorry dude you lost me with the sp2 thang but I use only mac btw since I got new soundcard, re-
installed everything to my os and all apps, plugins and wot not it all works jiggy... good thing too
and fairs fair when this piece of kit is used on a mix it does do what it said on the tin, they just
could of tried a bit harder to not make us feel like guinea pigs eh????

good luck with everything

Message 30/32             16-Aug-07  @  05:14 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

in case anyones interested there's a new liquidmix video and we've got our new media server online and i added over the liquidmix stuff to it last night

it's all on this page

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/ITEM.CFM?threadid=3982

there's 2 videos - one is a product preview in very high quality (187mb divx) the second is a video of the unit working with SX and showing how it works with Logic 5 on PC (yes it can work with some limitations) which is 90mb mp4 hd264

also i re-added audio examples which was the gearslutz comp shootout loop, sent over to rob at focusrite before we got a test unit, and he added 6 different emulations to the loop for listening

etc

mebbe it's useful

Message 31/32             20-Aug-07  @  09:22 AM   -   RE: what about this then!...

rags .aka. welder

Hey, nice video! I'm not really into these DSP-stuff, but it is always entertaining to watch (especially when one can hear the sounds of a lighter, then there is a brief silence, and then your voice becomes all relaxed... priceless )

Message 32/32             20-Aug-07  @  01:56 PM   -   RE: what about this then!...

k

hur hur DRUM tobacco doesnt do that does it?

Viewing all 32 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3 4

There are 32 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)