aaa bit depth and sample rate - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

12-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: bit depth and sample rate

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             04-Apr-06  @  12:29 AM     Edit: 04-Apr-06  |  03:48 AM   -   bit depth and sample rate

danktle

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

So when exporting/rendering tracks, do you find it best to use the highest samplerate and bit depth possible and then convert to MP3? Do certain samplerates and/or bit depths (well, I guess there's only two real possibilities for bit depth...) work better than others when they are encoded? Just curious to what everyone else's experience is.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             04-Apr-06  @  09:11 AM   -   RE: bit depth and sample rate

Rags .aka. Welder

I guess it depends on the encoder. My best guess is to use source material with the target sample rate (so that the mp3 encoder does not convert the sample rate - I generally don't trust encoders inbuilt sample rate convertors) but use maximum bit depth available. (The data will anyway be converted into the frequency domain, so any "dithering" you might add will be gone).

So 44 Khz / 32 bit. My encoder is winlame.

cheers,
Rags

Message 3/5             05-Apr-06  @  04:45 AM   -   RE: bit depth and sample rate

psylichon

I think it really depends on your encoder. And your song. MP3 compression is kinda voodoo in that you really never quite know what you're gonna get. If you really wanna be thorough about it, and know for sure that you are choosing the best output parameters, ya gotta export several versions, encode them, and A/B. Once you get a "feel" for your codec afer several mixes, it will become more intuitive and perhaps unnecessary to actually A/B.

Of course I've never done this because it's usually not important enough to me. If it sounds aight, it is aight.

Message 4/5             05-Apr-06  @  03:31 PM   -   RE: bit depth and sample rate

k

Link?:  Link

I use the wavelab for mine, the one on the 7161/DT server is LAME command line version.. LAME is sposed to be very good but you need to work out the commands for it after which it's very good and does batch stuff fantastic.. not for noobs tho

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/5             05-Apr-06  @  04:02 PM   -   RE: bit depth and sample rate

Rags .aka. Welder

Somehow I have managed to create an errorneous config (called "DT preset" ) in the xml config file, and since then I can select all the encoding parameters from a nice menu, without editing that ugly xml.

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)