aaa looping - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: looping

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             24-Apr-06  @  05:06 PM   -   looping

rob the 303 man

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

hi, right i have mastered chopping, good at chopping up drum parts to get the individual hits.

what i am looking to achieve now is to master looping,. i know how to loop, the problem is my timing, either to short // too long cant seem to get in the middle., any tips?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             24-Apr-06  @  05:43 PM   -   RE: looping

soup

looping what? the sustain on a bass note or a 2 bar drumbreak? for the first one use a computer, for the second don't loop, retrigger with your sequencer.

Message 3/9             24-Apr-06  @  08:54 PM   -   RE: looping

rob the 303 man

sorry mate!
I am using a mpc i am dead new to sampling, i have recorded a classical look of strings and wind instruments, i want to loop that, i find sampling individual sounds fine but looping this rif is a bit of a mare. i have not tried looping drums yet as i enjoy making them myself....

Please advise....

Message 4/9             24-Apr-06  @  09:10 PM   -   RE: looping

admin

agreed, always retrigger a loop with every bar (if a one-bar loop) or every 2 bars (if a 2-bar-loop) or every 1/2 bar (if a 1/2 bar loop) etc etc

however, the art of looping a loop perfectly is al by ear.... you have to hold down the key with the settings for the sampler setup so that holding down a key just continualy retriggers the loop over and over, and then as you, tweak the end

it's usualy to start by FIRST trimming the start until it starts right on the beat/note etc... THEN go and chip away at the END/length until it sounds perfect to your ears and to the vibe you want (some loops sound good slightly re-triggered late to add a fraction of pause)

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 5/9             25-Apr-06  @  12:07 AM   -   RE: looping

rob the 303 man

tell you what im having problems getting anything to loop! on the mpc 2k,. is there anything you would reccomend starting with? ie a simple break or something? I have used reason in the past and can work that ok, but with the mpc im having to do all the work!!
Rob

Message 6/9             25-Apr-06  @  05:34 PM   -   RE: looping

k

Link?:  Link

lol.... rtfm - i dont use mpc dude, no idea.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/9             25-Apr-06  @  06:47 PM   -   RE: looping

rob the 303 man

Ha! the manual cant teach me talent

Message 8/9             26-Apr-06  @  07:03 AM   -   RE: looping

soup

i have a much older mpc than yours but i don't really understand your problem, what is it about the riff you sampled that makes it sound like the loop not right? if it's not the right speed change the tempo of the sequence or change the tuning of the sample. if the transition from the end of one cycle to the beginning is off then truncate it more cleanly, change the tempo or change the tuning. or just chop it all into pieces and replay the whole thing like you are doing with the drums.

Message 9/9             26-Apr-06  @  02:25 PM   -   RE: looping

k

Link?:  Link

yup.... with a sampler when you're looping it while clocked you have to first work on 2 things... the tempo of the sequencer triggering the Loop, which needs to be as close as possible to the tempo of the loop itself of course unless you change the Loop PITCH... and the pitch (as Soup says), which you can tweak up/down in order to get the loop right.

Once you've trimmed the start of the loop, really, trimming the end isnt required until you have the tempo/pitch correct so the sample is looping right... THEN trim off the end (the stuff which doesnt playback cos the loop has cycled back to the start again before it gets a chance to play

If you're trimming a loop in a wave editor tho it's different cos there is NO tempo to adjust... the loop just plays at it's own natural tempo, so in that case, yes... the end TRIM point totaly determines if the loop sounds smooth

But on a sampler where the loop is being triggered by a sequencer (wether external or built-in to the sampler unit) the sequencer tempo HAS to be sorted first... get is as near as possible so that the loop cycles back to re-trigger the start as close as you can get it... THEN use the pitch to raise the Pitch (shorten the length) or lower the Pitch (increase the length) ... the pitch/Length of the sample is what U use to finaly get it looping right with the tempo of the sequencer triggering the loop.

2 things further

if you start a piece using a loop and build the piece around the loop using the Loop's natural tempo, then the task is to trim the start position so the Loop starts right on the start-point (it might be a kik-drum in a drum loop for example)

Then you set the sequencer triggering the loop and adjust the tempo of the sequencer until the loop is looping back to the start re-trigger at the right time and it sounds smooth... then you have the tempo right for the sequencer and it matches the original tempo of the loop... Then finaly trim off any unrequired audio not being used.

But, if you're adding in a loop to a track which you already started with other thinsg like creating your own beat at a fixed tempo you decided earlier, and the loop is at a different tempo, then you need to make the loop match the different tempo.... without using time-stretch the only way to do that is to import the sample loop, the trim the start poisition correctly, THEN adjust the TUNING/PITCH until it loops right with the rest of the track... then trim off the end excess audio not required

so of course, usualy one uses a little of each.... tempo and tuning just to fine-tune the loop

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)