aaa 10000 rpm hard drives - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

12-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: 10000 rpm hard drives

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/12             30-Apr-06  @  07:39 PM   -   10000 rpm hard drives

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

does anyone use?

needing a new HD for the G5 and wondred if was worth the extra money - Apples ship with 7200 rpm's , even the new ones so i dont know if im barking up the wrong tree

In general, or anyone with knoledge - SATA 10000 drives - how are they ?

Blu

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/12             30-Apr-06  @  08:33 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

psylichon

have you ever had disk underrun problems with your tracks? I doubt it. What resolution you cutting, 44.1? If so 7200 should do you fine, as long as it's dedicated to audio.

Message 3/12             01-May-06  @  12:33 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

Malcolm Jeffery

As Psylichon says you ever had probs ive used 7200 speed drives on my macs and never
come close to it not being able to cope always had 2 drives on purely for audio, ive had easily 30
stereo tracks spread over the duration of a track and loads more availble, dont think its worth
the extra for a 10000rpm get a new 7200 and spend money on something else
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 4/12             01-May-06  @  02:06 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

k

Link?:  Link

agreed, not worth it

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/12             01-May-06  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

cheers guys, so the general concensous is not to bother. regularly approaching the ton mark on track counts pretty often so trying to squeeze as much juice out as poss. Not had problems BUT always looking for things to get another gain. needing a new HD and figured id see cos a 150 gig 10k raptor SATA seems to be around 120 , and a 7200 around 70? Done the RAM thing ( 4 gig ) so prepared to go the extra 50 if its a markd improvement! It is odd that apple supply 7200's when they normally go for whats fatest at the time of there new machines, so im guessing that answers the question!

Blu

Message 6/12             01-May-06  @  05:44 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

soup

Link?:  No link

10K drives tend to sound like you have a helicopter in your pants.

Message 7/12             01-May-06  @  06:30 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

beds

100 tracks all playing audio at the same time?

Message 8/12             01-May-06  @  06:39 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

Influx

4 gigs of RAM?

Message 9/12             01-May-06  @  08:56 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

k

100 tracks!!!!!!!! are you nuts!!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 10/12             01-May-06  @  09:59 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

No not playing at the same time

whats nuts with that K? think about taking vocals, and having them chopped and sitting certain bits onto wet delayed audio tracks, some using diff filters, panning, diff bits of comp, and grouped down onto a buss - thats a few away already and then theres drums/synths/effects/percusiions

No midi left at the end of the session if that makes it more reasonable for you , all down on audio

Four influx yeah

Blu

Message 11/12             02-May-06  @  11:13 AM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

beds

if they're not playing at the same time it's not really a 'track count' as far as drive throughput is concerned.

save your money for something else.

and influx - he's on a mac i think, windows can't really do anything with much above 2gig at the moment.

Message 12/12             02-May-06  @  03:17 PM   -   RE: 10000 rpm hard drives

k

thats true, it's not counted as sim' thruput/loading - I can understand using all audio tho, so much easier to organise than faffing around with tons of midi synths and plugins...

Viewing all 12 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 12 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)