aaa Merkins - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

18-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Merkins

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             01-May-06  @  04:52 AM   -   Merkins

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Well....I've come accross (found) something new to me. A friend working in theatres happened to mention the word 'merkin' ('blue haired merkin clad girls' was the phrase I believe) during a converstion the other day. 'What's a merkin?' I enquired.

I'd never even thought of it! I lived in Amsterdam for four years and thought I'd encountered or heard of most adornments and/or practises. Isn't life great!

Following research (done purely for educational reasons and out of a sense of duty to other uninformed DT readers) I had to share the following link with you

http://www.playazon.com/fashion/merkin_light.html

Notice the ad: Customers who bought this product wished they'd also bought...

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             02-May-06  @  03:24 PM   -   RE: Merkins

k

Link?:  Link

heh, yeah Rory Bremner did 'Merkins' in a sketch... he was doing Bush and with Bush's accent it always sounds like he's sayin'

"My fellow Merkins!" (americans)

then he reveals 'Merkin' is an old english name for a pubic wig... lol, so Bush is calling his nation a bunch of pubic wigs

hmmmm...

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             04-May-06  @  06:48 PM   -   RE: Merkins

milan

pubic wig?

Message 4/8             04-May-06  @  10:54 PM   -   RE: Merkins

k

Link?:  Link

yup

mer·kin - A pubic wig for women.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             05-May-06  @  02:24 AM   -   RE: Merkins

Musineer Productions

Yes Milan, that's how I looked when I first heard of them!

But the plot thickens! The 8th ed OED doesn't list the word, yet the 5th does, and so does the 11th! This means that at some point the editors decided that the word was obsolete, then reconsidered and reinstalled it! Fascinating! On what grounds were those decisions made? What was it that clinched it for reinclusion!

Surfing, it's suggested that Chaucer used the term (if not the object) and that it has a possible permutation with the name Maud (who can look a Maud in the eye and keep a straight face after reading that?)

Associated with ladies of the street (a 'mercantile' joke should be made here) who were not too particular about the old hygiene, it was used to cover up scabs and rashes and other delights that might have had a negative impact on trade!

Don't think they have to be made from pubes, though this could be some sort of quality issue!

For the rest of us, burn the knickers of your women (careful grammar), or if you are female burn your own, and wear merkins!

Oh and K, don't be so disheartened, although I couldn't find anywhere saying they were for men, there's nowhere saying they aren't! If the urge takes you ...

Message 6/8             05-May-06  @  02:33 AM   -   RE: Merkins

Musineer Productions

Oh yes, forgot, I've seen that Bremner sketch, but hadn't picked up on the merkin thing.

(who can now look an American in the eye and keep a straight face?) That name should stick!

Message 7/8             05-May-06  @  10:47 PM   -   RE: Merkins

milan

thats hillarious... say, under which name did you used to go around these parts? cant seem to remember  

Message 8/8             06-May-06  @  04:58 AM   -   RE: Merkins

Musineer Productions

Which parts?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)