aaa cross fade sample - Samplers & sampling forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Samplers & sampling

Subject: cross fade sample

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             02-May-06  @  11:42 PM   -   cross fade sample

rob the 303 man

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

I am pretty up to speed with drum samples, wondered if their is a nack to sampling a string or piano, I have a s950 sampler as well as the mpc so can do it on either i s'pose.
I have tried sampling on the s950 have got it into loop mode, adjusted the start(fine) adjusted the end (fine) play it back and it glitches, have tried x fading and cant seem to see an improvement
i took a sample of a singer laaaa. sorta thing, perhaps i should start smaller?
please advise...
it loops like a drum loop would loop but with the constant change in pitch and sound with vocals it kind of sounds odd,. perhaps i should get a different sample in there, or stop sampling off old records and buy some sample cds. although i like the idea of looking for stuff.

Rob

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             05-May-06  @  03:21 AM   -   RE: cross fade sample

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Ah the s950! Yes, sampling longer loops without glitch is a ticky business. Without an audio editor (though the samples should work in an s1000 editor if you keep them mono) you have to nudge the start and end points if the auto loop find doesn't work well. Try cutting off (not just repositioning) tiny amounts from end and start as well, this shouldn't affect the sound of the loop (if it's inside the sample length of course) but it does on mine.

For a voice, if it's the texture of the sound you're after, rather than a pure recording, try crossfading with a reverse of the original (again muck about with sample length and loop points and 2nd sample length/start/volume/envelope/etc).

It is fiddly, and some sounds just never loop without the click, though they are few.

I had an editor for the Atari that was good at finding elusive loop points, though since moving to pc I've not used the trusty 950 so I don't know of any suitable graphic wave editors in the right format.

Resampling at a different bandwidth might help. Nyquist frequencies are quite important on the 950, not only to avoid foldover alias and maximise memory, but also to remove those clicks (try increments of 1kHz, then when/if it clears, bring the bandwidth back down as far as you can).

Another trick for the longer loops is to set the LFO so that it makes complete cycles in the loop (again requires time and patience). This often masks a click. However, this might also limit tempo possibilities, so it's good to have an idea of the bpm it's going to be used at before going down this route.

Yet another mask for a longer sample is to set a delay box (I used the boss DD2) to smear the sound at appropriate places (not so good if the click is relatively loud) for recordings.

Hope this helps

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)