aaa wow... cool! - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

12-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: wow... cool!

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             12-May-06  @  08:08 PM   -   wow... cool!

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

caught this documentary on Radio4 about this guy...

http://www.fazioli.com/eng/index.php

makes piano's... there was a full on technical discussion about piano's, i never knew all that stuff, like Steinways got famous cos they added a... what did they call it... a DUPLEX setup or something. basicaly, steinway added like a bridge, like on a guitar or violin, and beyond the bridge is shorter string lengths which resonate in sympathy with the main strings... except on the stienways, the bridge is fixed and moulded in the factory in a fixed shape, so the duplex in a steinway add's a sort of related harmonic content to the string strikes, but NOT exact equal harmonic lengths for each string, so in fact the duplex section of a stienway apparently slightly muddles the tone, but it gives a sort of lushness or something by slightly changing the harmonic definition... that's kinda how i understood it from the radio show

So anyways, this Venitian guy Paul Fazioli decided he wanted to try and make his dream piano, and he also added a duplex section in the design, but, the duplex section has bronze saddles, and each duplex string is hand tuned in the factory to be harmonicaly correct... apparently this guys piano's are THE one everyone raves about and wants to play, and they are being installed all over the world.. but, he makes them from giant 400 year old spruce trees or whatever type of tree which grow in the Tyrols, and he can only have one every so often due to conservation laws, so he doesnt make many, lol

It was fascinating stuff, really tech!... they played one of Fazioli's piano's and played just the last bottom 4 or 5 notes which were SO in focus compared to a normal concert grand .... you could totaly hear the exact pitch even down at the very bottom notes, it was so tight & defined.

anyways check it out.... hopefully that radio4 show is available online... I'll try and see if it's available

aha!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/pip/5km1v/

dunno if it's the whole show, but seriously, check it out it was totaly studio tech fascinating shit!!

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             13-May-06  @  03:48 AM   -   RE: wow... cool!

Musineer Productions

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Good post!

Various bits caught my attention:

You could play a note several times softer (though there description was more eloquent)

The bit about grands in concert halls reminded me of being 15yrs old, sneaking out one night to play a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand that was set up in a hall. Just playing one bass note sounded lushous. Played, really played, the piano for the first time that night.

Which point they refered to in saying that the fazioli was a player's instrument, rather than an instrument for music. That's a bad paraphrase, but they said it was more for Chopin and Debussy, not so much for Beethoven or Schubert. A woman said sit back and get to know it! The relationship between the pianist and the instrument was an essential factor. So near to arty bollocks, but sound advice surely!

Spruce soundboards from wood planted 400 to 500 years ago for ships' masts. Hard wood with straight grains. Seems logical.

The bit about the duplex tones was a bit confusing though. How can they tune before it leaves the factory. Did they mean something similar to setting up an action on a guitar? They're on about the bit after the string guide at the opposite end to the tuning pins. They must mean these can be tuned by the user (or, presumably specially trained, piano tuner).

I pulled a piano off a bonfire a while ago (overstrung underdamper - though I missed two others!) and I've been meaning to repair it. It sits in my garage, and the project was going fine til the roof sagged in a new place and water poured over the top octave for a few days. One day.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)