aaa Ideal computer setup to record vocals - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

13-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Ideal computer setup to record vocals

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             15-May-06  @  09:23 AM   -   Ideal computer setup to record vocals

Jamie.muir

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I have a pretty good laptop that i use with a m-audio fast track external audio interface. I also have a M-audio luna studio condenser mic that connects to a behringer preamp model number (vx2496) and then this plugs into my audio interface supposedly letting me record vocals to my hardrive.

The problem is i can never get a clean sound its always to gainy scratchy and when you sing into it the output sounds like a monster voice.

I think it's the soundcard but i just want some backup on this. The m-audio drivers never fix the problems with the audiointerface so i have given up on that front and the software interface is virtually non-existant!

I have been looking at the focusrite saffire (firewire) is this a good choice or jut a waste of time and money, anyone got any ideas?

..................Jamie............................................ ....................................................................................

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             15-May-06  @  09:59 AM   -   RE: Ideal computer setup to record vocals

k

Link?:  Link

sounds not right. M-audio always have a very comprehensive interface software. Sure you're using it all correctly?... not running the mic pre OUT into a mic input instead of a Line input or something are you?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             15-May-06  @  10:06 AM   -   RE: Ideal computer setup to record vocals

Jamie.muir

No all connections are correct. The sound card is a cheap one though and because the preamp is more profesional the sound card might not be able to handle the high output. Note that i'm not very good on music science so my terminology is probably rubbish! I'm still learning.

Message 4/8             15-May-06  @  01:38 PM   -   RE: Ideal computer setup to record vocals

k

yeah, but the soundcard is an m-audio one right?..... so set the mic input gain level so it's not clipping and no clipping indicator-light is illuminating, then send the line out from the pre amp to the soundcard inout and adjust the volume using the m-audio control applet... make sure it's not in the red... then open your software and get an input there and all should be ok

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/8             15-May-06  @  02:44 PM   -   RE: Ideal computer setup to record vocals

Jamie.muir

Thanks so much mc chicken premier, i just realised that my preamp was going into my sound card's normal xlr imput and therefore being over loaded, so i made the preamp connect to the sound card's jack line in and i have a perfect sound!

Message 6/8             15-May-06  @  03:23 PM   -   RE: Ideal computer setup to record vocals

k

kewl

Message 7/8             16-May-06  @  01:01 AM   -   RE: Ideal computer setup to record vocals

psylichon

Jamie.muir@btclick.com wrote:

Thanks so much mc chicken premier

Message 8/8             16-May-06  @  06:38 AM   -   RE: Ideal computer setup to record vocals

cheddar

an i bet you think your fuckin GREAT, soan you do

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)