aaa YAMAHA_QX5 FD file conversion - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: YAMAHA_QX5 FD file conversion

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             02-Jun-06  @  01:43 AM   -   YAMAHA_QX5 FD file conversion      [Link: Yamaha - QX5 FD]

jsauve

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

a friend has some midi files that were used on an old yamaha qx5fd. is there a small app. available to convert these files so they can be played in cakewalk.

thanks

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             05-Jun-06  @  10:57 AM   -   RE: YAMAHA_QX5 FD file conversion

k

Link?:  Link

are the files only on floppy?.. does he have the actual machine?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             05-Jun-06  @  12:58 PM   -   RE: YAMAHA_QX5 FD file conversion

jsauve

thanks for the reply...
yes he has the machine and a bunch of files on floppies

alot of the files he has on computer in there unedited form.

the qx5 versions on the floppies have been edited with the qx5, he wants to be able to load them in cakewalk after they have been edited with the qx5.

again thanx for the reply

Message 4/7             05-Jun-06  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: YAMAHA_QX5 FD file conversion

k

ok, simple.

With QX5 AS MASTER:
Connect a MIDI lead from the pc midi IN socket to the QX5 MIDI OUT socket, and Clock the Cakewalk to the QX5 as master -the MIDI lead is from the QX5 OUT to the PC IN so the song data can be transferred along the same cable which is being used to send the clock

or vica-versa -

With QX5 AS SLAVE:
Connect a MIDI lead from the pc MIDI OUT socket to the QX5 MIDI IN socket, and Clock the QX5 to Cakewalk as master - In this case you need to also add a MIDI lead from the QX5 midi OUT to the PC midi IN so the song data can be transferred

anyways, whichever one you choose as MIDI clock master, next select a MIDI track in Cakewalk, set it to receive on the correct physical MIDI input and set it on Channel = ALL or OMNI

With QX5 AS MASTER:
hit record in Cakewalk, (Cakewalk should go into standby "waiting for MIDI clock data" awaiting a start command) ... Hit play on the QX5 Master unit, and Cakewalk slave should start to record the midi data from the QX5...

With QX5 AS SLAVE:
hit record in Cakewalk, and Cakewalk should start to record the midi data from the QX5...

when the song has finished recording, do a 'split by midi channels' CAL so the recorded midi part is split into the individual channels/tracks.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/7             06-Jun-06  @  11:39 AM   -   RE: YAMAHA_QX5 FD file conversion

t bone

thanks that does seem pretty straight forward....i'll pass on the info, though i know he was hoping there was for a file conversion app. that would do the job.

thanks again

Message 6/7             06-Jun-06  @  12:20 PM   -   RE: YAMAHA_QX5 FD file conversion

k

well tbh, this does the job just as well albeit it's mebbe slightly longer process than opening a floppy in a pc, converting and importing to cake... but mebbe it's actualy quicker?

it may be that the qx can save the files as midi files but if the disks aren't 1.44k HD disks then I think that Win XP wont read 'em and you need win98 or 95. Like you can import data on a floppy from a 1040 atari that way but need to format the disk first in windows at 720k, then put the disk in the atari, and save the open cubase song as a midifile format save to the floppy

Message 7/7             28-Jun-06  @  01:37 AM   -   RE: YAMAHA_QX5 FD file conversion

Jock Munro

Link?: Link

had the same problem years ago. Because of the disk format of the QX5 FD its impossible to read disks from it onto a PC.

What K says is the only solution, to do it via MIDI.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)