aaa Shure_BETA 56 - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Shure_BETA 56

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             07-Jun-06  @  01:09 PM   -   Shure_BETA 56

portherb

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi, I want to have some information to compare the beta 56 & beta 98. Which one are better for small gigs??

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             07-Jun-06  @  11:31 PM   -   RE: Shure_BETA 56

milan

Link?: Link

hmm... i'd say 56 as a more usable mic all around. not really a fan of those super small drum microphones, never heard a kit i liked yet. then again, 98's would be easier for use on a small stage since you dont need stands for them, and the mounting hardware *is* very sturdy, much better than that akg crap.

Message 3/3             08-Jun-06  @  02:33 PM   -   RE: Shure_BETA 56

k

Link?:  Link

I've used the Shure's, well actualy i did a theatre gig once which had a shure set, i heard them in action and replaced them with my set which i preffered - I think they are no better than many Chinese OEM mic's, i would suspect those Shure Beta mic's are also made in China (and thats not a bad thing btw) so i agree with Milan that those 'mini-me' style mic's aren't as versatile, i also think it isn't a rule nowadays that buying a 'brand name' like Shure in this case offers any clear advantage over other brands.

It's no secret I'm a big fan of the Red5audio drumset mic's... I reveiwed their set, and bought it immeadiatly, (so it wasn't a free company give-away in return for good praise!) I've used the RVD9's alot on cab-mic-ing duties and they work excellently on small combo's and rigs, and the kik drum mic is superb for me.

I've heard a comparison with an audix kik mic recently because a freind borrowed my red5audio set and other mic's from other people to do some recording in his studio. He played me some tracks done with the audix and the rvd1 to compare, and i didn't think the audix was outstandingly and clearly 'better', there was a subtle difference between both mics, but the audix wasn't 'better' imo, both mic's gave good body & definition

if you are buying a set for drums checkout those red5audio sets (RVK7 http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/ITEM.CFM?threadid=2640&lang=0), if you just want a couple of clip-on mic's to add to a set of mic's you already have, then red5audio don't do their drum mic's individualy except the kik mic.

Generaly tho i'd agree with Milan, go for the larger mic, they are still compact but more versatile for other jobs

also, what is probably more important than the actual mic's for local live gigs is quality cables, so get some or make some and have a couple of spares always & preferably colour code them too so people dont walk off with your leads as always happens if they are just black with no visible markings

One thing aout that 65 BETA... the connecting bit for the stand... it says on Shure's page:

"A built–in dynamic locking stand adapter with an integral XLR".... there's no clamp tho for it so you need stands

the Red5audio set comes with drum clamps in the case (x 4) but also they fit onto normal mic stands with a standard thread too which is a bit of a bonus - you also get 2 batter (or phantom) powered condensers in the red5 set which are useful if you want overheads and they can be used at home for other stuff like mic-ing an acoustic guitar or for percussion sets Live (perhaps to mic a chime tree or whatever for the percussionist

anyways the rvd9's in the red5 set and the 56beta both have similar spec's for sensitivity and freq response... who knows they might even be made in the same chinese factory, lol - You certainly wont notice any difference imo under typical local gig conditions. I've used the RED5 set in venues from small rooms (and recording) up to large halls and professional theatres... the red5 set also has gold plated connectors thruout

hey but if you cant get them, the Shure's are fine they are not 'worse', I just am one of those people that doesnt care particularly if something is brand name if it does the job well.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)