aaa Mac user seeking PC experts opinions - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Mac user seeking PC experts opinions

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             13-Jul-06  @  08:59 AM   -   Mac user seeking PC experts opinions

lucas12

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi all,

I was wondering if you Windows experts could answer a couple questions for me about your setup? (You can skip the background if you're in a hurry.)

===================
1. BACKGROUND:
===================

I'm coming from the perspective of a professional studio that uses Mac + complete ProTools system.
In this scenario, most of the issues that you guys are experts on simply don't apply.
All the nitty gritty happens in the Protools cards and hardware. I don't have to worry about latency,
IRQ's, motherboards, conflicts, or anything else. Hurray! Except for one problem.
This system is a bit of a dinosaur, great for recording, but way too slow to run anything new and cool that uses the CPU, like BFD or Live or just about any VST synth.

So, I had a friend make me a custom-built Windows XP machine, optimized for music production.
I will use this computer to run all the VST synths, samplers, drum programs, etc., and probably record directly into my Protools system, via spdif or balanced outputs.
Unfortunately, to be honest, I've had nonstop problems so far, ranging from absurd latency, to network card killing audio output, to firewire dropping out, random blue screens, drives disappearing, etc. Too many problems for a simpleton like myself to fathom.

All I want to do is make this windows box a monster sound generator, and go spdif or balanced out into my protools system. If I can eventually someday use it as a complete standalone system, that's great, but not the priority now.

So here is my question to all you experts:

===================
2. THE QUESTIONS:
===================

A. Does anyone out there actually have a rock-solid, hassle-free setup, where you can play VST synths from your external keyboard controller, with no noticeable latency, i.e. less than 2ms?
1) WHICH SOUNDCARD are you using?
2) What OS, how much RAM?
3) What VST-host and what VST synths do you use?

B. Which best describes you:
1) Professional Artist or Producer
2) Independent Artist
3) Hobbyist

C. Does there actually come a time in the Windows world where everything is sorted out and tweaked to optimum performance, so that you can forget about it and just make music, or would you say that configuring a windows-based music computer is a continuous process for PC experts only?

Thanks for your input,

Marc
lucas12 at oversync.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             13-Jul-06  @  09:27 AM   -   RE: Mac user seeking PC experts opinions

k

Link?:  Link

A. Does anyone out there actually have a rock-solid, hassle-free setup, where you can play VST synths from your external keyboard controller, with no noticeable latency, i.e. less than 2ms?

yes, several, and plenty more i've built for people

1) WHICH SOUNDCARD are you using?

various models & makes, such as esi Julia, emu1820m, m-audio audiophile 24/96, hoontech dsp24/96, esi esp1010, st-audio c-port, gigastation, etc etc

2) What OS, how much RAM?

XP Pro, and a mimimum 512 ram

3) What VST-host and what VST synths do you use?

Logic, SX, reason, occaisionaly Sonar, whatever soft synths (the usual brands and freebies)

B. Which best describes you:
1) Professional Artist or Producer
2) Independent Artist
3) Hobbyist

Not relevent

C. Does there actually come a time in the Windows world where everything is sorted out and tweaked to optimum performance, so that you can forget about it and just make music, or would you say that configuring a windows-based music computer is a continuous process for PC experts only?

yes, you build it and it's done - you can add stuff afterwards but rarely can this be a problem, depends what it is, hardware additions or s/w

Sounds like your machine has been built by someone with no clue tbh

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/8             13-Jul-06  @  10:23 AM   -   RE: Mac user seeking PC experts opinions

milan

yeah, there is absolutely no reason why you should have those sort of problems. i havent reinstalled my pc in something like two years now (should build a new one sometimes), but i dont install much shit on it anyway.

i know few people who have just the setup you described above: multiple pc's running soft synths, all feeding a PT rig via various ADAT cards (creamware, m-audio, motu) and they all run with no problems. all it takes is someone who knows how to build a working configuration for music, and a bit of housekeeping every now and then when installing new software/hardware.

you could probably ask people on this forum which exact setup to go for.

good luck.

and jesus man thats some discography you got!!!

Message 4/8             13-Jul-06  @  01:56 PM   -   RE: Mac user seeking PC experts opinions

Rags .aka. Welder

With the right set of hardware an XP is rock solid, you never have to worry about IRQ / DMA stuff... I even run games and 3D software on the same machine, which is said to be a "definite no-no".

"absurd latency, to network card killing audio output, to firewire dropping out, random blue screens, drives disappearing, etc"

Most probably it is due to a hardware problem (faulty hardware, eg. motherboard or memory), hardware incompatibility or a driver issue.

Message 5/8             13-Jul-06  @  09:07 PM   -   RE: Mac user seeking PC experts opinions

steve

I've ran xp on a few machines and never had any problems at all tbh.

I think the trick must be to not have a clue about computers or something.

Message 6/8             13-Jul-06  @  11:49 PM   -   RE: Mac user seeking PC experts opinions

k

lol, yeah, it sounds like Lucas had an 'expert' build his. It's frightening actualy how many people there are out there who spend all day reading Toms, getting all the lastest buzzwords and products...

They can talk a good DAW build anyways

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 7/8             14-Jul-06  @  08:18 AM   -   RE: Mac user seeking PC experts opinions

milan

whats a "Tom" and why am i not reading it?

Message 8/8             14-Jul-06  @  08:49 AM   -   RE: Mac user seeking PC experts opinions

k

Tom's Hardware

then they build what is in essense a gaming machine

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)