aaa Mac user needs PC advice, Part 2. - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Mac user needs PC advice, Part 2.

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/6             15-Jul-06  @  08:00 PM   -   Mac user needs PC advice, Part 2.

lucas12

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hey all,
Thanks for the responses.
It's good to know that it's not a lost cause.
So based on your responses, I decided not to give up. I researched a few things, made a couple recommended BIOS tweaks, uninstalled almost everything I'm not using.

I bought an Echo MiaMIDI soundcard. Dave at audiomidi.com recommended it. In his opinion, Echo drivers are better and more reliable than M-Audio's. The MiaMIDI has analog 2ins/outs, and spdif in/out, which is all I need to route sound into my protools machine. Cool.

(I also got the new Novation Remote SL control btw, but havent been able to use it yet. )

So I installed the card and drivers exactly per instructions, plugged in analog and digitial cables, opened windows media player, tried playing a song, no luck. Same results with iTunes, Sound control panel, and Logic 5. Basically, windows appears to recognize the card and drivers, and thinks its working properly, but nothing will play. ("nothing will play" = in Logic, after setting the hardware engine to ASIO, and selecting Echo Mia WDM ASIO, and restarting a new session, soft synths wont function and audio wont play. In iTunes and Sound control panel, you hit play, and the play button stays pressed indefinitely, but nothing happens - no sound, no time counter moving fwd. Its just sticks. In windows media player, you get a flicker of the graphic meters jumping for about 1/2 sec, then nothing. No sound ever.)

So.... I was told to download the latest drivers from echoaudio.com, remove the old ones, and reinstall. I did that successfully. Newest drivers, working properly. Still no playback. Perhaps a PCI/IRQ configuration prob? I removed all other PCI cards. I put the Mia card in PCI slot 3, because it is the 1 slot that does not share an IRQ channel with any other devices. I restarted, opened System Information, and confirmed that Mia has IRQ 5 all to itself. Device Mgr says this device is working properly. Logic sees the Echo Mia WDM ASIO driver. (BTW, although Mia supports ASIO, it seems to happen via WDM. I guess that's normal?) I've also played with the Echo console applet, making sure that all channels are turned to max and unmuted. clock is set to internal.

So that's it. I've tried all the tricks I know. Perhaps this motherboard really is crap. Do you guys have any other suggestions for troubleshooting, pinpointing the prob, or otherwise getting things to work?

Thanks again

Marc
lucas12 at oversync.com

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/6             15-Jul-06  @  08:29 PM   -   RE: Mac user needs PC advice, Part 2.

milan

uhh... just about the only thing you didnt mention: settings-> control panel-> sounds and audio devices-> volume and audio->volume

and disable the onboard soundcard if you already havent.

Message 3/6             15-Jul-06  @  08:38 PM     Edit: 15-Jul-06  |  08:43 PM   -   RE: Mac user needs PC advice, Part 2.

Rags .aka. Welder

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer mgmt -> Device Manager

You've got to have no device opened with "red cross" icon. If you do, investigate (or write here what it is, maybe a creenshot could also help.)

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer mgmt -> Event Viewer

Look at all four categories, look for errors.

Also, you've said you changed the IRQ's for the soundcard. Did you do that in the device manager?

Message 4/6             15-Jul-06  @  08:50 PM   -   RE: Mac user needs PC advice, Part 2.

Rags .aka. Welder

(because normally PnP should take care of the IRQ stuff, the last time I had to change IRQs manually was in ...errr.. at least 4 years ago... not to say it is impossible that you haver to, but highly unlikely...)

Message 5/6             18-Jul-06  @  02:07 PM   -   RE: Mac user needs PC advice, Part 2.

k

Link?:  Link

but XP doesnt use plug&play and it should be turned OFF in the BIOS - It uses advanced configuration and power management interface (ACPI) to handle interrupts.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/6             18-Jul-06  @  02:20 PM   -   RE: Mac user needs PC advice, Part 2.

k

Link?:  Link

btw, this is because you cant get any sound from LOGIC right?..... well Logic does NOT like to use drivers if windows is also using them so you need to assign say the s/pdif output & inputs to wondiws audio (control panel /sound and audio devices / in the audio + voice tabs

then this leaves your main analog L/R I/O free for Logic

also look in Logic's programme folder & open the EASIMME.exe

DE select the s/pdif i/o selections and then try and boot logic

also do NOT use the PCAV slot to add your soundcard in Logic... Use audio driver tab 2 and use the ASIO tick-box halfway down and assign the asio driver there

was that the problem?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 6 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 6 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)