aaa now with sub**being neurotic** - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

19-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: now with sub**being neurotic**

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/4             31-Jul-06  @  10:35 PM   -   now with sub**being neurotic**

SDUB

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hi,

So I have a question for you. I am just now working with a subwoofer. My monitoring setup is 2 KRK RP-5's and the KRK RP-10. I was working with the KRK RP-5's for a good while, then switched to the Event TR-8's. I was extremely displeased with the Events. The mixes I did with the KRK RP-5's were hands down better. I realize it is because I was not used to the Events that the mixes were not up to par. But, eventually the Events will leave anyway as a studio buddy of mine is just letting me use them for awhile. So what I decided was to go back to my setup and add a sub to get the full spectrum. I did not want to waste anymore valuable time and just get back to where I was most comfortable, even if statistically it was a huge downgrade. My room is treated with acoustical foam on all walls. The ceiling is made of the 'ceiling tiles' found in offices. The floor is concrete with throw down square patches of office rug(relativly thin). The room is 10 x 10. The krk rp-5's are at about ear level at least six inches from back wall. When I first installed the sub, I was surprised that the rp-5's were to run through the sub now, and the out from my soundcard go into the sub. The rp-5's are hooked into the sub out via xlr cords. The sub through some testing is now running at -15db with a 0 linear phaze, and crossover frequency @ 80hz. I was very surprised at my songs now that I listened to them through my new setup. The were not well dfeined because there was too much bass, which I wasn't noticing on my Events, which why I switched back. I was just surprised at how bass heavy. So what I did is to redo some mixes, put the original mix pre-sub and the new mix post-sub of a few different songs on cd and test them on a few different systems to see if I have optimal results for working with the new system. I was pleased with the post-sub results very much. More defined, overall mix dynamics louder. The sub is placed a little towards the right monitor under a mixing desk, about 6 inches from my foot.

Here is where my neuroticism kicks in. Am I errant, what am I doing wrong? What additional room treatments should I look into? Is the way I have everything setup correct? Anything you can suggest, cause I realize now, that monitoring/room treatment and writing a good tune is the most important aspects in music success. In that order too.

Thank you in advance for your comments and answers.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/4             01-Aug-06  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: now with sub**being neurotic**

tyson77

Be careful mixing with the sub. It is best to periodically A/B your mix through the sub, then turn it
off for prolonged mixing. If you keep the sub on 24/7 your ears will become adjusted to the xtra
bass quickly and your mixes will all come out very bass-heavy.

The problem with the RP10S is there's no bypass switch, so if you're routing your monitors thru
the internal crossover on the sub, you're forced to keep the sub on at all times.
To get around this you could turn the crossover frequency all the way down for the majority of
the mix, then bring it up to 80hz when you want to hear it.

I actually have an RP10S as well, complimenting my Dynaudio BM5A monitors. The way I do
my setup is I've got the monitors routed thru my mainouts on my interface, and I've got another
output on the interface dedicated just to the sub. I pretty much route signal to the sub at all times,
and I just turn it on when I want to hear it. I do this because I wasn't happy with the quality of the
RP10S' internal crossover, and how it seemed to sap some of the quality from my BM5A's. So I
decided to keep my monitors as far away from that crossover as possible. I found this to be the
optimal setup for me, but that's just because I'm afraid of the xover interfering with the signal to
my monitors.

Message 3/4             01-Aug-06  @  04:18 AM   -   RE: now with sub**being neurotic**

SDUB

Awesome!!! I was thinking of doing that as well. Thanks for some good advice!!!

Message 4/4             01-Aug-06  @  11:25 AM   -   RE: now with sub**being neurotic**

k

Link?:  Link

i concur, mixing with a sub can be dodgy, personaly i'd rather not use one

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 4 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 4 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)