aaa Levels and all that... - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

05-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Levels and all that...

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/11             30-Sep-06  @  06:53 PM   -   Levels and all that...

nutoniom

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Ok, so this is doing my head in all this metering stuff.

I'm in the process of a command module overhaul and would like to get
everything to work at it's best possible.

Here's my set-up:

pentium II 350 Mhz running Cubase vst/32 5, Delta 66

Phonic Mixer with 4 buss.

Each buss is sent to one of the 1/4 inch input of the Delta.

Delta out 1 & 2 are are respectively taking Chanel 15 and 16
of the Phonic mixer routed to main wich feeds a pair of Alesis
M1 Active.

I don't want to use the Phonic for mixing, once in the box, the
signal will stay there.

So the question is: How should i set up in the Delta Control panel ?

+4, consumer, -10 ? both for output and input

Running at +4 all the way, i find that recorded signal, once played back
is extremely low, barely moves the channel meter, even if it danced in the
yellow while inputing, is this normal ? Do i need to raise the material prior
to mixing or monitor louder ?

thanks for any tips

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/11             01-Oct-06  @  11:55 AM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

milan

well then use -10dBv since thats obviously what your mixer uses.

+4 basicaly means that your soundcard will expect much higher levels to be sent to it, hence the low output.

Message 3/11             01-Oct-06  @  05:56 PM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

nutoniom

well, i don't know, it's suppose to output +4 this mixer.

But, i've found out some good stuff searching the trheads.

I also figured what that INS socket was for, i thought it meant Instrument, Doh !!
Got myself an insert cable, so i'll finally be able to patch the compressor properly. I guess i'll be able to know now what all that compression stuff is about.

Also found out that the sub out go through some summing amplifier process wich makes them
less hot than the direct outs, wich i will try using with my brand new balanced cable. That's another thing i found out. A stereo cable isn't neccesarely balanced. Supposedly you get slightly hotter output through balanced, and since the direct out on the mixer is and the input on my delta is, i might win some gain there.

we'll see, errr i mean hear

thanks for the reply

Message 4/11             01-Oct-06  @  08:40 PM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

milan

well, i don't know, it's suppose to output +4 this mixer.

maybe you're not using balanced cables. you know, the "stereo" cable with two rings on it  

A stereo cable isn't neccesarely balanced

no, of course it is. thats the same TRS cable -> earth + 2 contacts on it.

good luck  

Message 5/11             01-Oct-06  @  09:31 PM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

nutoniom

diagrams in the mixer manual seems to contadict that.

They show both balanced and unbalanced.

The unbalanced stero jack goes like this:

tip to tip
ring to sleeve

wheras the balanced stereo jack goes

tip to tip
ring to ring
sleeve to sleeve

unless there is something that i'm not getting (wich is a realistic probability, being me)

p.s: i have also found out this about my mixer, been pulling my hair out with this for a while.

In most respects, the MR2443 behaves quite conventionally, though there's something a little odd about the gain structure. Normally, if you PFL a signal and then compare its level with the normal mixer output, with both channel and output faders set to unit gain, the level will be the same. Here though, the mixer output seems to be 10dB below the expected PFL level, which means you need to use some of the available gain on the faders to restore the level. This may be just a buss headroom issue, but it's something you need to be aware of.

Message 6/11             02-Oct-06  @  08:38 AM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

milan

tip to tip
ring to sleeve

thats not stereo, thats just unbalanced-> remember, one contact is always ground wire, leaving just one more to carry the signal!

Message 7/11             02-Oct-06  @  06:18 PM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

psylichon

What resolution are your meters set to in Cubase (if there is such an option)

You'd be surprised how low an analog signal that is properly gain-staged will look on a properly-calibrated D/A converter. Most are cal'ed to -18 nominal operating level. That means if your analog front end is riding at its nominal levels, your signal will ride below -18 dB on your digital meters! (in pro-tools land this is only about halfway up the meter... and there is no resolution adjustment for the meters there) Peaks of course may go higher, but that's the headroom benefit of cutting at 24-bit (you ARE cutting 24 bit right? You should if you can). Won't go into the math, but you're not losing resolution cutting this low at 24-bit. In fact, that's how the system is designed to be used. Pushing the signal hotter means you're running your analog front end hotter than it's supposed to be run (which can be cool with cool preamps, but no offense... probably not with yours).

So how hot are you trying to cut here?

Message 8/11             02-Oct-06  @  09:13 PM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

nutoniom

milan wrote:

tip to tip
ring to sleeve

thats not stereo, thats just unbalanced-> remember, one contact is always ground wire, leaving just one more to carry the signal!

So basically, when i buy a stereo lead in a shop i can be confident that it's balanced ?

psy: Oh, i was set at 32bit truetape

I've checked things with this precious info you've given and i find the meters in cubase peak at
-12 when meters on the board peak at +10. So i could still be recording quieter and still get all resolution ? That's a shitload of headroom. I think i understand now why i was never able to put many different instruments into the same track.

many many thanks guys.

it might be a small step to the other guy, but it's one fucking giant leap to me

Message 9/11             03-Oct-06  @  12:46 AM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

psylichon

nutoniom wrote:i find the meters in cubase peak at
-12 when meters on the board peak at +10. So i could still be recording quieter and still get all resolution ?

That makes perfect sense since +10 on your board outs means 6 dB over nominal (+4), and if your D/A's are cal'ed to -18, then -12 would be also be 6 dB hotter. Welcome to unity gain, my friend! Keep your soundcard at +4 then.

And I wouldn't stress the -18 thing too much... just set your analog front end for whatever gain stage sounds best and don't be cranking your pre more just to get the level up, ya know? As long as your signal isn't floating SIGNIFICANTLY below -18 in your DAW, you're not losing any resolution. And you will also not overload your plugins or your digital sum, resulting in much cleaner, clearer, and punchier in the box mixes. Like you said, if you're trying to do a large mix, if you cut hot you're gonna have to pull down faders on individual channels anyway or else you're smashing your mix buss (and whether or not that reduces resolution depends on your DAW). And besides, raising the analog gain that much is generally just raising your noise floor... super-quiet pro studios with super clean gear on a great day has maybe 90 dB noise floor to nominal. a 24-bit system has a theoretical dynamic range of 144 dB! Blah blah blah...

In PT land, pulling down the master fader is mathematically identical to pulling down all the channel faders feeding it. I generally do not cut hot, have my channel faders at unity, and my master fader down -6dB or more. Don't push a digital mix bus even close to the reds... it's not analog. Then I'll put a compressor or L2 or something on the master buss and makeup whatever gain I need to there. As a result, my ITB mixes do not sound ITB, if I may be so bold

Message 10/11             03-Oct-06  @  02:38 AM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

nutoniom

psylichon wrote:
Welcome to unity gain, my friend!

Eh, feels like the doors went swoooshhh and i just walked on the deck, getting my first glimpse at deep space.

Thank you SO much

gonna go play pinhead now

Message 11/11             03-Oct-06  @  10:12 AM   -   RE: Levels and all that...

k

Link?:  Link

yeah it's a bit of a freak out eh when you first record something and the meter hardly seems to be registering on the DAW channel

As a result, my ITB mixes do not sound ITB, if I may be so bold

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 11 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 11 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)