aaa can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

04-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             18-Nov-06  @  07:05 AM   -   can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

daryll

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

has anyone expanded the firewire ports on a late 2005 g5 power mac? apparently i need a pci
express card that is compatible with osx 10'4 to run my liquid mix... if anyone has put an extra
firewire port pcie card in this model and all is good please let me know where i can get one

cheers
D

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             18-Nov-06  @  01:50 PM   -   RE: can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

I put in a pci- 4usb/2 firewire card and worked perfectly

Had to do this for Virus TI, apparently g5s run better from pci cards on usb according to Access support, so i imagine you won't have problems either

I cant remembe rthe make of what i got, but i opened the side, pushed it in, clipped back , switched on and it worked ( no software/installs etc )

Alan

Message 3/9             18-Nov-06  @  07:29 PM   -   RE: can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

daryll

um is your mac defo a late 2005 g5 dude cuz i looked on the spec sheet and the focusrite web
page and I'm sure this model has pci express slots not pci?.. I've purchased 2 different cards now
and sent them back as they're not compatible with tiger and the geniuses at the apple store
recomended one of them

thanks anyway

D

Message 4/9             19-Nov-06  @  02:04 AM   -   RE: can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

ive not got the g5 anymore, but was pcie yeah - atleast thats what i asked for in the shop - not a computer whiz , but remember making sure to ask for pci express becuase i had read g5s dont do older pci ( ? )

not much help probably!

alan

Message 5/9             22-Nov-06  @  04:36 PM   -   RE: can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

Malcolm Jeffery

Exactly what model do you have as the one i have has pci-x slots which are just different speed
slots, i dont believe that u cant get a firewire card that will run your liquidmix, try contacting
TSC which is part of macwarehouse, give them your exact model no and problem, maybe get
focusrite to give you their exact pci whatever card model no
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 6/9             22-Nov-06  @  05:03 PM   -   RE: can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

daryll

it's a dual 2 ghz g5 powermac, late 2005 model running osx 10.4.3. on the spec sheet says i need
pci express cards and everyone so far has said there are no pci express cards available for osx..
I don't believe this either but I'm gonna go check that site now so thanks for the reply Malk

D

Message 7/9             25-Nov-06  @  04:16 PM   -   RE: can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

Malcolm Jeffery

Same model as me, but why do you need another firewire card it just plugs in to a standard
firewire port 400????? are all your firewire ports taken on the mac?, focusrite just say plug it into
a firewire port., and off you go iam confused u should be compressing and eqing to your hearts
delight not fitting cards!!
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 8/9             25-Nov-06  @  09:58 PM   -   RE: can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

daryll

I thought it'd be that easy when I bought the bloody thing...
both firewire ports run from the same bus that doesn't have the bandwidth to handle 2 cpu hungry
audio interfaces, as you probably know although the liquid mix has dsp chips it still needs to
transfer large amounts of information to and from the machine and I also use an audiophile firewire
for my powered Tanoys, and apparently that is also a squeeze on the system. Check it out on the
Focusrite site dude it's all on there.

D

Message 9/9             26-Nov-06  @  10:00 AM   -   RE: can u add xtra firewireports on g5mac?

Malcolm Jeffery

Ok now my mac is not pci express it is simply pci with pci x slots which are 33mhz and 66 mhz i
think is you system a pci x system or pci express as they are very different, all you need is the
relavent pci card that matches your system,
Malk

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)