aaa is anyone using carillon? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: is anyone using carillon?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/8             01-Jan-07  @  06:22 PM   -   is anyone using carillon?

daryll

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

I'm thinking of ditching my mac set-up and giving carillon a go. If anyone reading this has
experience of using the carillon either good or bad, please let me know

cheers and happy new year to you

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/8             02-Jan-07  @  10:05 AM   -   RE: is anyone using carillon?

Bedwyr

i just did a couple of months teaching music tech at uni and they had a room full of 20 carillon machines which were about 2/3 years old. Very solid, and they get a hammering.

Message 3/8             02-Jan-07  @  12:51 PM   -   RE: is anyone using carillon?

k

Link?:  Link

there is the odd bad purchase/service story on the net where the user got "Turnkey'd" , but generaly good... not sure what you'd gain from that switch tho, what about all your Mac s/w? You'd have to go for a quite fast one to see much extras over your dual G5 innit?.. as far as i can see they aint doing a core 2 duo desktop/rack yet, only Pentium D's

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/8             02-Jan-07  @  11:12 PM   -   RE: is anyone using carillon?

daryll

I've been using mac for a couple years now but have had nothing but trouble with them, bad advice
from the support team that has ended up costing me both time and even more money.. I pretty
much want something that works and that is really intergrated, has support that is just that..
supportive.

Message 5/8             03-Jan-07  @  03:36 PM   -   RE: is anyone using carillon?

k

bad luck man... what sequencer you using? cubase?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/8             03-Jan-07  @  04:25 PM   -   RE: is anyone using carillon?

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

I know exactly how and why you are feeling this way

I used to be the biggest mac whore around, but since the launch of the ipod / G5 I think apple have let there standards slip far, far, far too much - to the point where it is truely paying for the badge.

G3, G4 etc were all bulletproof, from my experience. My G4 400mhz did me for something like 4 odd years without ever crashing, breaking down etc.

My G5 finally got binned 3 months ago. 18 Months old, had eaten FIVE hard drives of various makes, 2 sticks of stock RAM, and was in apple repair for 6 weeks getting a 280 quid CPU after a 6 inch blue flame shot out the front grills on startup.

The build quality is absolutely appauling in the last 2-3 years, basically the ipod generation of apple.

I ( embaressed to admit ) was about to buy a new mac pro, but couldnt bring myself to bend over any longer so i went to PC World and bought the gnarliest PC they had in store at the time for well under half the cost of a basic macpro, and i can truelly say ive never been happier with music production since the G4 days.

I know alot of pro producers who have had enormous problems in the G5 generation, including also power supplys , hard drives, and 2 seperate people whos cpu's blew - one of which was a 2 week old 2.5 Quad .

The Carillion stuff seems pricier than home builds ( which id not do again ) and equivalent pc world deals ( which were much better spec'd at time as carrillion hadnt updated there machines in a while ), but youll get a strong trimmed machine aimed at music production - I know a few people using old carillions still, and havent said about any problems. My next machine will prob be carrillion

Alan

Message 7/8             03-Jan-07  @  09:15 PM   -   RE: is anyone using carillon?

k

wow, thats appalling!!,,, they use g5's at college, and they do glitch when u do stuff using firewire audio interfaces, but not seen any die.... mebbe u got a crap friday afternoon one? were the early batches dodgy at all?

was at the pc fair saturday.... prices down further, pc's are good value it's true - my web pc stared playing up before christmas and I couldnt fault trace it, must be the mboard, so i got a new board ram & cpu set for it (AM2) for £114 quid with 1/2 gig of ram - i got a cheap SEMPRON 3000 cpu (1.6 ghz) - which is quite fine for web stuff & photoshop, i can bung it up to an AMD 64 or X2 if i like in future with the AM2 board - also gpt a cheap pcie card for 28 quid which is ati and ok

anyways, depends what u run.... if it's logic, you have no choice but mac unless u want to run an older version

Message 8/8             03-Jan-07  @  10:51 PM   -   RE: is anyone using carillon?

daryll

thanks for the feedback guys, yep I'm using Logic but I'm not tied to any DAW to be honest
because I just want to make music and am sick of how my new G5 has performed since I
upgraded late 2005, I specifically got a pre intel model as the couple of pro's I know warned me to
stay well away however one guy did go the same way as me... and within 3 months it went back to
the shop with all sorts of probs and consider, this was his livelyhood (lucky for me I'm a chef I
guess) and he had been using a G4\os9\logic v6 for years with no probs, you have to wonder what
is going on here with apple.

Like Alan says, we now seem to be paying for the badge and I certainly don't wear Prada so I
guess I'll have look at a new set-up... happy time!

Anyone digging Sonar at the moment?

Viewing all 8 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 8 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)