aaa Phase(freqency) analysis - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

08-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Phase(freqency) analysis

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             31-Jan-07  @  07:23 AM   -   Phase(freqency) analysis

Rags .aka. Welder

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

After running some searches on google it seems this is not-so-obvious as I thought: I need a software analyser that reveals the phase characteristics of a VST (effect) plugin... well if there is such thing. (Well, I migth be able to build one for myself in Reaktor if everything else fails, but I guess that would take some time )

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             31-Jan-07  @  10:55 AM   -   RE: Phase(freqency) analysis

k

Link?:  Link

cant u analyze an output rendered wav? or does it have to be live output?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             31-Jan-07  @  11:44 AM   -   RE: Phase(freqency) analysis

Rags .aka. Welder

no, non-realtime analysis is fine

Message 4/9             31-Jan-07  @  01:20 PM   -   RE: Phase(freqency) analysis

Rags .aka. Welder

well I mean non-realtime analysis would be fine if I knew any software that could draw a phase - frequency diagram for a vst plugin.

Message 5/9             31-Jan-07  @  08:42 PM   -   RE: Phase(freqency) analysis

Rags .aka. Welder

And the answer is:

http://www.ymec.com/products/dssf3e/

free for 30 days, quality FFT, phase-frequency graph (between left and right channels) and a LOT more. And now the bad news: all DPS EQs with IIR filters cause phase distortion. There are DPS EQs with absolutely linear phase characteristics, but they introduce processing delay.

(Not that an analog EQ would be phase-transparent, no. They just suck differently )

Message 6/9             01-Feb-07  @  10:36 PM   -   RE: Phase(freqency) analysis

psylichon

May I ask:

Why?

Message 7/9             02-Feb-07  @  06:42 AM   -   RE: Phase(freqency) analysis

Rags .aka. Welder

It's those moments when my engineer ego takes over and scrutinizes an seemingly innocent phenomenon as phase distortion of DSP circuits...

All I remembered from college days that all DSP algorythms are basically built of two basic blocks: signal amplifiers/attenuators and delay units. Now depending on how you combine these you can have a structure with feedback (IIR circuit) or without feedback (FIR circuit). IIR is called IIR because its reaction to an impulse is a decaying (or increasing) signal that will never reach 0 in amplitude (Infinite Impulse Response).

FIR on the other hand is a circuit without any feedback, and so its response in time for an impulse is finite. (Finite Impulse Response = FIR).

Now most of the circuits used in music production are IIR circuits, because FIR introduces processing delay. The downside of IIR is that circuits with feedback can produce an unstable signal, and also they introduce phase distortion. The kind of phase distortion introduced depends on the implementation (so the designer should preferably create a circuit thats phase distortion is somehow not-so-disturbing to the human hearing... I guess )

The point was that for some reason I assumed phase distortion is not something that you can hear (because you can't distinguish two sine waveforms which only differ in their phase), but obviously I was wrong. So it turned out that using a highpass filter on an effect bus does much more than "just removing some low end"...

As far as I have experienced, these days EQ's can sound really transparent despite I could measure their pghase distortion (to some degree: it wasn't a very accurate measurement though). Now I'm not so experienced with hardware EQ-s, so I guess their phase distortion is also considered "noticeable, but sounds all right"...

Message 8/9             02-Feb-07  @  06:46 AM   -   RE: Phase(freqency) analysis

Rags .aka. Welder

File?:  [image]

[image file]

On the left: frequency characteristics of the reference signal (pink noise) and the filtered signal

On the right: phase characteristics of the filtered signal

Message 9/9             02-Feb-07  @  06:51 AM   -   RE: Phase(freqency) analysis

Rags .aka. Welder

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Unprocessed and processed in one graph...

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)