aaa gain pumping - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

27-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: gain pumping

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             14-Feb-07  @  06:58 PM   -   gain pumping

joegornall

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi,

Ive been playing around with compressor settings on one of my tracks. Im very new to it all however I have a reasonable understanding of the theory behind it. However, Im struggling to find out how to apply compression practically. There are a couple of things I don't quite understand so here are my questions...

Firstly, when applying compression to the kick drum channel, what release/threshold/gain setting should be used? I know the attack should be fast, at the mo Ive got it at 5ms. There are 468 ms between each beat. So should the release be set at 460 or something like that? What about the threshold and gain? Are there any rules that should be basically followed? At the mo Im struggling to tell the difference between reducing the threshold quite a bit then turning up the gain and reducing the threshold just a little then turning the gain up a little.

Secondly, with regards to apllying compression to the whole mix to give that 'energy' and 'pump' then what kind of settings should be used? Ive tried a 25 ms Atack, -2db threshold, 250ms release and no gain increase and this just seems to be a little quieter but a bit more compressed. From what I understand, when you apply compression it should seem louder as we determine loudness from comparing the signal peaks with our ears. Am I wrong?

Lastly (for now!), what Im trying to achieve is that when the kick comes in, the bass kind of lowers so to make room for the kick but I dont know what kind of settings I should be using. Should the bass compresion settings be exactly the same as for the kick? (On separate channels) or should they be on the same channel? Or would I have to use 'side chains' ?

Thanks for any help, I really do appreciate it.

Joe

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             16-Feb-07  @  12:50 PM   -   RE: gain pumping

k

Link?:  Link

thats a big subject in one post

firstly the sidechain, yes, you need to feed the kik into the sidechain input on the compressor bass channel, and then set it so that when the kik signal comes the bass lowers.

pumping, is really all done by ear what you're going for is the comp crushing the signal and then releasing it quickly so it surges back up again before the signal decay ends, just fiddle with it and find out

From what I understand, when you apply compression it should seem louder as we determine loudness from comparing the signal peaks with our ears. Am I wrong?

well without a multiband compressor all you can really do is raise the overall loudness in terms of getting more of the overall mix up nearer the threshold of clipping, just bare in mind that the loudest sound within the mix will trigger the comp, which means if your kik is loudest, in effect you'll be mostly compressing the kik attack... as you say all you seem to hear is it gets a bit quieter but more compressed which is what'll happen, but that eans you can raise the overall level back to how loud it was before compression, and all you're doing is just reducing the differences between louder and quieter sounds... perhaps what you want is to import the mix to your pc/mac and use a plugin if you dont have a hardware multiband unit.

theory is ok in compression, in as much as you need to know what a compression ratio actualy is and what the controls do, but after that i really am a great beleiver in experimentation to arrive at familiarity... and of course what make/model of compressor it is also effects how it sounds, wether it's set to soft or hard knee, peak or rms etc, thjey all do subtley different things

and of course some comps no matter how you thrash them dont really pump much and others do more

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/3             21-Feb-07  @  01:38 AM   -   RE: gain pumping

joegornall

Link?:  No link

Thanks very much for your help.

Is it possible to use sidechaining in plugin compressors or would it have to be hardware?

Ive only been messing around on fruityloops with its standard compressor which doesnt allow sidechains (that Im aware of), but when I get all my gear Im taking it that Ill be able to input channels into a sidechain on a good plugin compressor without any problem?

Cheers K

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)