aaa Vague music "licencing" question... - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

29-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Vague music "licencing" question...

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             24-Feb-07  @  10:56 PM   -   Vague music

Moujik

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Ok, probably a silly question but thought I'd ask anyway:

I want to start putting togther a regular mix/podcast with a selection of tracks from unsigned artists that I've (legitimately) downloaded. My question is: do I need to/should I ask permission before doing so?

I realise it's probably good manners to, but I'm a) lazy and b) of the opinion if you put stuff up for download, it's fair game.

Anyway, just wondered what the general consensus was.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             08-Mar-07  @  08:18 PM   -   RE: Vague music

Bedwyr

just do it.

Message 3/7             09-Mar-07  @  12:16 PM   -   RE: Vague music

sitar

and if you get into trouble, blame Nike

Message 4/7             09-Mar-07  @  01:48 PM   -   RE: Vague music

k

Link?:  Link

aw blimey, probably 100% legaly you cant do anything on the www, some guy from SOMA radio was over on FM forum asking people to sign a web petition because the us govt has levied a new tax on web radio stations so they will way more than larger terrestrial radio for track plays and they will all have to close down probably

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/7             09-Mar-07  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: Vague music

milan

hey Moujik, i'm pretty sure you can do what you like, but dont you think people would be stoked if you told them you're playing their tracks? i know i was   anyway, its basic courtesy to tell them.

k wrote:

aw blimey, probably 100% legaly you cant do anything on the www, some guy from SOMA radio was over on FM forum asking people to sign a web petition because the us govt has levied a new tax on web radio stations so they will way more than larger terrestrial radio for track plays and they will all have to close down probably

now that would really suck... soma fm is pretty cool (yeah yeah psy), it'd be a shame to close them down.

but wait, didnt they already pass this law (or tried to?) several years ago?? and how does it affect europeans? can i still count on Swissgroove and deepmix.ru?

Message 6/7             22-Mar-07  @  04:44 PM   -   RE: Vague music

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Legally, the artists should recieve performance royalties as the writers (even unsigned music) on podcasts im sure atleast

But im pretty sure aslong as you ask them if its ok they will all be happy enough at eposure and its very unlikely they will be mcps/prs etc registered anyway

The podcasts a huge grey area init. On one hand its great exposure, on the other it kills compilation sales. On one hand its technically illegal, on the other no indie labels going to chase you over it due to free advertising.

My take on it is (in my field) doing mixes on podcast shows, dj mixes like all blended etc is fine, but sitting with a mic and saying ok here's XXX and starting it and playing it in its entirety isnt.

Sort of like youtube, if you made a compilation episode of say all your favorite 'red dwarf' jokes and skits over the various series is in my book good advertising for the publishers of red dwarf and may lead to sales of dvd. But just putting up each episode in its entirety is bad form, and what will get you chased ( isnt there something going on with google video or youtube already with warner or something )

Kind of getting over the illegal download thing to be fair, if someones going to rip a podcast and cut the tracks out they want, then there going to just hit up a russian DL or P2P anyway.

wow, tangent... anyway, id just ask permission from each and do it that way

Message 7/7             22-Mar-07  @  08:45 PM   -   RE: Vague music

Moujik

Cheers guys... unfortunately (as tends to happen) I've been too busy to actually do anything about this.

I pretty much have permission from all the people I've got tracks from (emailed them & asked for higher quality mp3s than they had uploaded), but I will take the comments onboard & will double check with everyone.

Legally, the artists should recieve performance royalties as the writers (even unsigned music) on podcasts im sure atleast

Unfortunately, ain't no-one getting any royalties from me; I'm gonna be a guerilla podcaster

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)