aaa Tascam_122 MK III - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

27-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Tascam_122 MK III

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/2             12-Mar-07  @  03:50 AM   -   Tascam_122 MK III      [Link: Tascam - 122 MK III]

vijaybagaria04

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

pl. guide me.

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/2             13-Mar-07  @  01:13 PM   -   RE: Tascam_122 MK III

k

Link?:  Link

File?:  No file

wow, well if this is for real, the tascam 122 mkIII is a 3 head deck, with a monitor switch so you have the ability to monitor 'off tape' to get the best level posible when recording.

the idea behind that is, if you take a tape and record something on it with a very very low input record level, then when you play it back, you must turn up the volume alot to hear the music.... the more you turn it up, the louder the tape hiss gets because you only recorded a very low level.... so the idea is to record as LOUD as possible to get less tape hiss and a good loud record level.... It's exactly the same principal and technique you use on a pro 24 track tape machine.... Get the record input as loud as it can go before it starts to over-saturate the tape and you get tape saturation distortion

To start with you want to use a good quality tape, chrome or metal.. put the machine into record/pause mode.... To do that on the 122 you flip the monitor switch to AUTO not INPUT and then turn up the input L/R controls until the meters are driving around 0db...

Next, use headphones and then, while listening to the headphones you further adjust the input to get the loudest input you can.... Hit record and while listening to the output, turn up the inputs until you start to get some distortion then roll it back off. Basicaly you just want to get the loudest level you can by listening to the tape output rather than using the meters, that way your tapes will have less background tape noise and a really good loud strong record level.

once you have the level set, rewind, and then record your stuff... thats it really, i wouldnt use the noise reduction myself.

you've also got two little adjuster pairs for BIAS & LEVEL on the front, which you could adjust but i'd be careful.

If you do adjust those you want to find a brand of tape which you can easily get, and it should be chrome or metal cassette... get one of those tapes, clean the deck heads with isopropyl alchohol & cotton wool buds, load the tape, set it up for monitoring output as decribed above, then send some music you know well into the tape input, hit record and adjust the bias as you listen to the output... adjust the bias as you listen to the off-tape output so you get the eq curve you want that sounds most accurate, you can also tweak the L/R levels if you like

when that is done stick to the same make/model of tape each time you record because you will have set the bias for that tape.

Now that everyone uses DAT & CD's i aint used my 3-head deck (Denon) for years tbh except to play some old tapes, so as far as i remember thats about what u need to do to get the best out of the deck... Back in the day when everyone delivered demos on cassette, setting levels like that to get a good 'loudest possible' record level without distortion & with minimal tape hiss and noise really was important to show your work off to the best when a record company listened to it

but, if the tascam deck is old and well used it could be worn out... good luck

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Viewing all 2 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 2 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)