aaa Any Sonar users in the uk? - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Any Sonar users in the uk?

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

Original Message 1/24             19-Mar-07  @  06:08 PM   -   Any Sonar users in the uk?

DingoStema

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello gang,

I really need someones help. After 5 years I have finally moved from logic 5.5 on the pc over to SONAR. I largely made the move due to logic not seeing more than 1 gig of RAM which was getting frustrating.

Unfortunately though, now I have a big learning curve so I was wondering if there is a kind soul who is a UK based SONAR user who mght have a chat with me over the phone to help me with the app.

Optomistic I know but its gotta be worth a try,

All the best, Dingo Dave

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/24             20-Mar-07  @  11:56 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

softcore

Errrrrrr,sorry no uk user myself but since I LOVE this app,if I can help you on msn or something I ll be happy to............just sent me a message .......cheers!

Btw I hope you have already checked the manual and the help topics of sonar!!!

Message 3/24             21-Mar-07  @  10:15 AM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

Link?:  Link

i've used it in the past, it's not that hard, very similar to the others, there are little extras like in piano edit you can have multiple parts showing in the same piano-edit grid, you can select which tracks show in the edit up on the top right of the piano edit, otherwise it's pretty straighforward innit? - sonar has the best track headers on the arrange-page of any sequencer, why the others clue up & use horizontal meters too is beyond me, stuff like the phase reverse on the header etc, shows that sonar is morew geared to live audio recording, i always think of it that way myself, as a very good live multitrack with added hi quality midi etc.

there was one thing that irked the shite out of me with it tho, that snap in the arrange page when slip editing and the fact parts/clips couldnt be set to default to appear as full bar length chunks/blocks was really annoying... did they fix that crap?... do ou get what i mean?... for example, if you put a 4 on the floor kikdrum into a clip then exited the edit window, you'd see a clip that visualy stopped in length after the last kikdrum, NOT at the end of the bar, that was so annoying for me

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 4/24             21-Mar-07  @  10:41 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

softcore

k wrote:there was one thing that irked the shite out of me with it tho, that snap in the arrange page when slip editing and the fact parts/clips couldnt be set to default to appear as full bar length chunks/blocks was really annoying... did they fix that crap?... do ou get what i mean?... for example, if you put a 4 on the floor kikdrum into a clip then exited the edit window, youd see a clip that visualy stopped in length after the last kikdrum, NOT at the end of the bar, that was so annoying for me

.........nope thats not fixed-by default that is,-u can always drag the border of the clip to match measures/beats w/e and then it stays this way,-but by default it still cuts itself at the end of the last note drawn in the piano roll!!!

Message 5/24             22-Mar-07  @  09:29 AM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

grrrrr absolutely UN-ideal for pattern based music, and really that was my only gripe once they had added the drum map and the ability to select 64ths without having ti take a maths degree to work out the required 'ticks' to set 64ths

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/24             22-Mar-07  @  03:11 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

DingoStema

He guys, ok, got a number of little issues the first is the most important.

Just built a new pc, fast as buggery, dule core AMD 4200+, 2 gig of 667 etc and have a Maudio firewire 410 audio interface and my Maudio Axiom 61 goes into the firewire410 . OK, so I have set the latency to around 10m/s in Sonar which is working fine when I just play a softsynth but when I hit the play or record button in a project and THEN try to play or record the softsynth the latency somehow shoots up and I get crap latency. As soon as I hit the stop button again the latency is low and sweet.

Any ideas?

Dingo Dave

Message 7/24             22-Mar-07  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

did you add sp2?... did you add the MS fix for firewire afterwards? (sp2 reduces firewire speed back down to older slower rates)

Message 8/24             22-Mar-07  @  03:47 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

and have you got a midi loop?

Message 9/24             22-Mar-07  @  05:51 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

DingoStema

Hey K, hope life is treating you well?

OK, I have sp2 installed (it was already on my XP disk), I dont have that firewire hotfix and I dont have a midi liio0, just a midi lead from the keyboard to the external audio interface.

Thing is, the problem was the same regardless of whether i went into the interface from the keyboard, or hooked the keyboard up to the pc via usb.

Also, I dont understand why the latency is fine until i try to record midi

Cheers, Dingo Dave

Message 10/24             22-Mar-07  @  11:54 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

decided to take a look at sonar after 2 years

f*ck me!! man, i wonder if it runs better now cos this is so different, after 15 minutes just stumbling round it, i musta found 10 things that had me saying "damn, thats how it should be done why doesnt whatever sequencer do that!?"

how the hell do u get a v grid in arrange/track vew?

Message 11/24             23-Mar-07  @  10:59 AM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

well it does run more efficiently! all i can say is, if anyones fed up with cubase and logic etc, take a look @ SONAR cos it has changed so much, it's got some nice touches like you add a vsti and it add's a folder to the arrnage page within which is 2 track headers... 1 is the midi track for the instrument and the second is the actual instrument control track, and you can have the piano edit grid on the arrange page with a button click and it IS useable!

Message 12/24             23-Mar-07  @  12:17 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

i'm talking about sonar 6 producer btw, there is a web demo you can d/load, which works for 15 days and if you register it works for 30 days.

i'm gonna probably ramble alot about this, and thanks to Dingo for calling me up cos i'd never have looked at it otherwise (certainly not this month anyways), and like he pointed out, it is way better priced than logic pro or cubase 4

i cant begin to emphasise how much SONAR (this version) has changed from the last one i reviewed (XL2), it's like a whole new programme!

the graphic look is quite flat like Ableton which i like, all in easy on the eye colours, but the mixer is slightly more 3D looking like a real physical mixer... i mean just stuff like the channel eq for instrument and audio tracks, you get the Sonitus multiband eq which is very similar in operation to Logic's FAT EQ, with multibands and bands can be assigned to differtent types of eq curve (bell/shelf etc) you also get a fixed low shelving filter on each track

stuff like addingb in an arpeggiator is a snip, just load a vsti, go to the output for the midi track, add-in an arp (or any other midi fx) then assign the out for that midi fx to the vsti, instant arp, and the arp is pretty cool and glitchless

i'm only trying this on a crappy low power amd sempron for now with the Juli@ soundcard, but i loaded a delay, reverb, d16 group drumagog (tr909) and the Chris Gill SUPER WAVE P8 supersaw synth, and on lowest latency it's just fl;ickering the cpu meter at 3% or something, so efficiency seems to be solved, it runs asio just as asio should be run now

I tell you what, just check it out, and take some time with the demo cos this could be the escape from steinberg and logic on pc without getting a new mac to go to logic pro

def' a review is due for this!, i have seen guys reporting online that running it in 64bit mode acvtualy makes it run LESS cpu cycle on the meter! it's the only app that supports 64 bit and Vista btw as far as they claim

also i was happy to remember those little touches cake does like the BRUSH tool... the brush tool paints in midi note patterns by just selecting a pattern preset and then dragging across the screen on a note/pitch... SONAR already comes with a whole massive slew of preset midi grooves devided into different instruments, so you have a whole list of kik patterns, cymbel patterns (inc hihats), percussion patterns etc etc.

so you grab the brush, choose a latin perc patterns, drag across and hey presto, one latin perc drum groove added!!!

I assume you can add to this pattern list with your own presets, but it makes work very fast, cos there's a whole load of patterns for typical house grooves for each type of drum instrument such as kik, hats perc etc... brilliant stuff!

Milan man< dont you use SONAR?.... you've been keeping quiet about how good it is mate  

i might actualy finaly leave Logic on pc behind now without having to get a g5!, hey, and video is implemented inc' ability to load video to the video track and then assign it to a firewire or other dedicated video output for a dedicated video display screen, fackin hell! cos we do alot of film work and of course full surround is included

the other thing I noticed is when you mess with the display settings you can activate icons (large or small) for the tracks, and these are SO easy to quickly see what is what on the mixer etc, brilliant stuff.

another nice one is the compressor has presets for emulations of stuff like 1176, la2a etc

also i cant wait to try the control surface setup cos it seems like they have put alot into that in terms of external controller setup

anyways, sorry to ramble, but jeez man, it's SO different now!

cheers for the call Dingo man!   heh heh

Message 13/24             23-Mar-07  @  03:59 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

milan

Milan man< dont you use SONAR?.... you've been keeping quiet about how good it is mate

me? nah... it was dave Psylichon who was using it.

i'm still oldskoolin' with Logic 5

Message 14/24             23-Mar-07  @  06:27 PM     Edit: 23-Mar-07  |  06:32 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

softcore

Man,I ve been SHOUTING all over the internet how good Sonar is,but noones listening!!!

something else u probably should know is the effects per clip option seems something like samplitude calls object editing

meaning:you can insert an effect at a clip itself and not the whole track/channel

as for cpu usage I m using a core 2 duo 6600 (recently upgraded my PC) and Sonar really FLIES with that!!!How do 48 tracks including sampled audio,3 synths,4 compressors,3 delays,2 reverbs,3 limiters,2 distortions,3 send channels and a cpu1/cpu2 load of 35% seem to you?

Message 15/24             23-Mar-07  @  07:21 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

GrooveMonkey

Wel I was really pleased about the ACT feature in the way it maps to your controller when you click on an fx or instrument etc..

So I tried it, but it dosen't work for BCF2000. If they fixed it so that ACT support the BCF2000 then I'd be tempted. Thougn it would need to support 3 of them

G

Message 16/24             23-Mar-07  @  07:40 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

DingoStema

ok guys, REALLY need help with my original posted problem . . . .

'Just built a new pc, fast as buggery, dule core AMD 4200+, 2 gig of 667 etc and have a Maudio firewire 410 audio interface and my Maudio Axiom 61 goes into the firewire410 . OK, so I have set the latency to around 10m/s in Sonar which is working fine when I just play a softsynth but when I hit the play or record button in a project and THEN try to play or record the softsynth the latency somehow shoots up and I get crap latency. As soon as I hit the stop button again the latency is low and sweet.'

aaaarrrggghhhh

Cheers, Dingo

Message 17/24             24-Mar-07  @  03:20 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

IT'S SET TO USE ASIO DRIVER OR MME OR WDM?

Message 18/24             24-Mar-07  @  03:29 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

DingoStema

Nice one K, I was being a twat. sorted now. Cheers, Dingo.

Message 19/24             24-Mar-07  @  04:45 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

was that all it was? doh!

Message 20/24             31-Mar-07  @  10:23 PM   -   RE: do people still use midi ??

Andy Hay

File?:  [image]

[image file]

Message 21/24             01-Jul-07  @  02:10 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

rags .aka. welder

Cheers folks!

I guess I got into one of those geek periods...

Sonar 6 has a 64 bit floating point engine... I didn't knew what to think about it (on one hand it sounds overly unnecesary, on the other hand... well it might make sense...)

So here it comes:

Ableton Live (32 bit FP)
vs.
Adobe Audition (32 bit FP)
vs.
Sonar 6 (64 bit FP internal engine, dithered down to 32 bit (POW-R 2))

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7/1/1228287/summing_test_1.zip

Message 22/24             01-Jul-07  @  07:35 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

that'll be interesting

Message 23/24             01-Jul-07  @  09:21 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

rags .aka. welder

File?:  [image]

[image file]

And this sounds fucking amazing! I didn't knew, but Cake's now sourcing Voxengo's convolution engine (just like that new OSX Logic), but it is updated to 64 bit... also, most of the old Sonitus stuff is 64 bit now (including the EQ you get on a channel by default).

I am not saying this 64 bit technology is that much better though, sort of 5 maybe 10% increase in clarity, but when you have a 64 bit processor (and a 64 bit OS) then it is stupid not to use the increased wordlength.

Also, they claim performance increase when run under a 64bit OS, now the competition is nowhere near utilizing that extra at the moment.

Message 24/24             02-Jul-07  @  02:13 PM   -   RE: Any Sonar users in the uk?

k

yeah, i was pretty impressed with the new v6 i got the demo for a while back. The only annoying this is tho this 30 day business... cos you start it, and it starts counting down the 30 days, but then you might only get a few chances to try it time-wise over the next 30 days. I'd rather they let you open the programme a fixed amount of times rather than by fixed days. I was really impressed with the included stuff tho, nice channel eq etc.

anwyays, i cant hear any difference really on speakers between the 3, mebbe a part of me is trying to hear fractionaly better defined hi mids, but i cant tell if thats for real or my imagination, not that it's very loud btw, i'll try cans next

Viewing all 24 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2 3

There are 24 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)