aaa Monitors Monitors Monitors - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

28-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Monitors Monitors Monitors

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/10             12-May-07  @  08:17 PM   -   Monitors Monitors Monitors

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Got trusted Mackie hr824s (main), old set of m1s (secondary) and the look nice sound shite ns10s (sometimes!)

thinking of moving the m1s to the living room, relegating the hrs onto secondary and going for something bad ass on main

Been looking around some quested, genelec and Adam, and those KRK expose's....

For the thumpy thumpy stuff! Suggestions? (budget £1-3)

Blu

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/10             12-May-07  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: Monitors Monitors Monitors

k

Link?:  Link

yeah quested.. hmmm.. but, large monitors are shite for mixing tho

BW's? they are nice, the duals with the tweeter in the middle, the ones that sit horizontaly

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/10             13-May-07  @  01:54 AM   -   RE: Monitors Monitors Monitors

milan

Dynaudio!!! or Adam, tho i never tested them personaly

Message 4/10             13-May-07  @  02:27 PM   -   RE: Monitors Monitors Monitors

Malcolm Jeffery

Perhaps spend £200 on acoustic treatment as i will soon, cause if your room is not perfect (and
whos is?) bigger speakers just become harder to judge, ive found using my dynaudio bm6as at
fairley low volume gives me a pretty good sound and balance still not perfect, and as you turn up
volume you just cause the room sound and standing waves to become to much and mess up
judgement, so getting bigger better monitors are diminishing returns unless your room is correct,
bass trap and kill reflections behind above and to the sides at least and see the difference may
take a bit to adjust, but so many of us me included just havent done this yet and everyone that
has says the difference is well worth it, then buy a 20,000 watt pa and scare the neighbours lol

Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 5/10             15-May-07  @  02:40 AM   -   RE: Monitors Monitors Monitors

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

sounds like youve done your homework on the accoustics  

studios well treated as is - speaking of worthwhile things, if any of you have a spare 100 squid for shits and giggles, get a set of those china cones. best money ever spent on something that doesnt look like it would work very well . Got them fitted on the HRs and the difference is really unbelievable in stereo image especially - one of the big companys should start fitting them as standard onto the high end ranges and get a gimmick going

Dynaudio... i missed those out, there def on the list also - problem is getting to a place thats got this stuff set up for checking out.

I reckon this studios about 16 x 14 - the hrs are loud enough in here and sound solid, but i also know despite the hype there not as flat as they should be - theres a glaring hole in the low mids (noticedthis in every studio ive been to using hrs) that i have to double check on m1s before club play to make sure i caught it! Nice on the ears sub bass and soft highs wise tho....especially for mixing on all day every day...

One of my mates brought round a set of fairly expesnive genelecs, not sure the model, but sounded fairly brittle on top compared to the hrs - but i suspect were being pretty truthful....

decisions!!!

Message 6/10             16-May-07  @  12:41 AM   -   RE: Monitors Monitors Monitors

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Message 7/10             16-May-07  @  02:57 AM   -   RE: Monitors Monitors Monitors

psylichon

I'd never heard of SLS loudspeakers before we got a pair to try out at the studio and I absolutely fell in love with them. My mixes have never translated quite so well. They are highly directional, with a narrow sweetspot... but, man, in that spot you can hear EVERYTHING... very 3D! I used to have difficulty zeroing in on verb and compressor settings (hearing the difference between settings), but these reveal everything.

Though they go plenty loud, I think their focused directionality reduces HF reflections in your room, so they are appropriate for smaller rooms. Our B room (which houses the SLS) has the trickiest sonics in our whole facility, and we've had lots of issues with 5.1 Mackie 824's and subwoofer placement. The SLS seems to minimize these issues.

Also plenty of bass.... I usually turn our sub off with these, whereas the Mackies needed it. Big sound.

SLS Audio PS8R

I was surprised when I heard the price, too... comparable to 824's! Good luck finding a pair to demo, but trust me. They are very serious contenders

Message 8/10             16-May-07  @  09:46 AM   -   RE: Monitors Monitors Monitors

k

Link?:  Link

it's a funny thing monitors. With mic's, it's generaly accepted that out of a range of 'good' vocal mic's, some will better suit some peoples voices better than others, but for speakers people discuss it almost in absolute terms as if one make/model is clearly 'better' than another, but mebbe some speakers suit peoples hearing better than others and it's quite as personal as mics?... as long as a speaker is reasonably flat, after that some people may prefer one model to another cos it suits them i spose. I happen to love tannoy dual 12", i just like em

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 9/10             18-May-07  @  04:40 PM   -   RE: Monitors Monitors Monitors

Malcolm Jeffery

Really do the china cones make such a difference i hear of people saying that.
Can you explain what the before and after is pleases?
Malk

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S.Thompson -

Message 10/10             19-May-07  @  04:19 PM   -   RE: Monitors Monitors Monitors

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

psylichon wrote:SLS Audio PS8R

I was surprised when I heard the price, too... comparable to 824s! Good luck finding a pair to demo, but trust me. They are very serious contenders

cheers will have a look at these

Malcolm Jeffery wrote:

Really do the china cones make such a difference i hear of people saying that.
Can you explain what the before and after is pleases?
Malk

Real tightening of bassend and stereo image that my brain still cant comprehend mainly. The bass and stereo is what i remember being most shocked at after fitting them.

I have the m1s narrow infront (either side of the double screens) and the hrs wider L/R triangle and a good trick is getting producers to sit down in front and play the hrs with something panned around the m1s angle, and watch there faces as you switch onto the m1s as they are swearing its the m1s playing.

I was notoriously bad at hearing/mixing stereo image before the cones ( andrew will testify to that! ) but since ive had them its been night and day. Id not be without them now actually

Viewing all 10 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 10 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)