aaa Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti ) - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

Original Message 1/19             25-May-07  @  09:22 PM   -   Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

joegornall

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi all

I came accross a thread on the virusti.com site talking about compatibilty issues with the virus ti and sonar 6.

Now Im a little unsure about what to do. Im getting one of the carillon packages from soundcontrol which includes sonar 6 as the sequencer but they said that cubase might cost quite a bit more and suggested that Sonar would be easier to get used to than cubase. What do you think?

As I dont have any indepth knowledge of either (just the demo of Sonar 6) I was wondering if anyone has any experience with perhaps both sequencers or certainly anyone using sonar 6 with the virus ti, as reading the above thread has put doubts in my mind about sonar 6.

What would you go for and why?

Thanks very much for any advice

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/19             26-May-07  @  01:45 AM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

k

Link?:  Link

what compatibility issues? do they mean controller mapping, bank/patch name lists or stuff of that ilk?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/19             26-May-07  @  12:01 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Link?: Link

The TI can be picky as hell..........

Works with Cubase SX3. Doesnt work with Logic, kind of works with abelton (but not really)

You should be prepared to test the Ti with a demo verion of sonar encase the store doesnt take backopened software....

Message 4/19             26-May-07  @  10:53 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

K - the Ti problems are : clicks, pops, REALLY bad midi timing and sync, if it doesnt like the software

Andrew was a beta tester for them and they say that using the ti with a pci-usb card is standard issue. There's a big diff with the above problems using G5 this way. They should really put it on paper in the manual, but it seems its an expectancy in pro audio to stay off the on board usb slots

Im using it now with sx3 on pc, with the o.s2 and it works well, but its still a work in progress -

the kicker is, its really no more solid in traditional midi (yes its 2007) when using the hypersaw oscilators...and thats a hardware problem from what i understand. If i wasnt using the usb and wanted a quick and dirty VA id take a C over it anyday of the week. Problem is it just sounds really really good when it is behaving itself

Message 5/19             26-May-07  @  11:38 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

k

not sure i get the above, so its ok with a usb card but not on usb the motherboard?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/19             27-May-07  @  12:58 AM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

thats it yeah, something about dedicated bus as opposed to sharing with the ports on the machine

that might be the wrong lingo, but thats the recomendation yeah

Message 7/19             27-May-07  @  12:44 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

k

well if it works thats a minor extra expense then

Message 8/19             27-May-07  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

yeah absolutely - makes it far more usable. Its still a dog in Live, and logics a no go...

Never tried sonar so id try with a demo version before taking the wrapper off...

Message 9/19             27-May-07  @  03:22 PM     Edit: 27-May-07  |  03:24 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

joegornall

Thanks for you replies

It seems like there are some latency issues with when using it with sonar, and apparantly sonar is not officially supported by access yet. Heres the link where I read it:

Virus Ti latency issue

There are more links within this link talking about the issues

Im still not sure what to do. Sonar 6 seems to have a lot of fantastic new features (notably the ACT) and seems very user friendly. This is quite important for me as Im going to be learning both things at the same time (not ideal I know) but hey. However its no good if it isnt compatible or could give me latency problems. What are your thoughts on cubase userfriendliness for a newb?

Message 10/19             27-May-07  @  04:29 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

im not sure on user friendly, i think it is - but I cant make head nor tail of logic which is supposed to be very user friendly.....

its the ideal for me - it has latency plug compensation and is pretty damn stable (i use sx3 not the new 4 though)

I used protools for 3 years before hand and switched to sx when the vst boom came about, and i think its probably unrivalled in what you can do with audio alongside the midi tracks. (abeltons still king for timestretching loops though)

BUT, i do alot of audio cuting,splicing,reversing and edits etc onto the audio tracks (everything/instruments etc get bounced to audio), whereas alot of people keep everything in midi....

One of those things where you just have to try the demos and find the best thats suiting what you do, although admitedly the TI will shorten this list . You could use it in Midi mode meanwhile until it is supported in your final choice of sequencer if you did really dig Sonar.

Message 11/19             27-May-07  @  04:51 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

k

well sonar has a sort of vocalign-style audio quantise which aligns the starts of attacks i think

Message 12/19             04-Jun-07  @  06:27 PM     Edit: 04-Jun-07  |  06:30 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

joegornall

Cheers for the replies,

I popped down the shop today and carillon are now doing the same package that includes Cubase studio 4 aswell as sonar. So looks like cubase is the one at the mo.

Just one thing, (perhaps in the wrong forum?!) anyone know how easy it is or if its possible to sidechain (eg kick and bass) in cubase studio4? I had a look on cubase.net in the forums but couldnt really find anything difinitive. One thread suggested you can not do it at all, another said that native sidechaining will be added soon and the actual cubase site itself says that in the VST3 plugin effects there is a
flexible gate with a sidechain input filter for ducking. Do you think thats enough for what I need? Its just that the information Ive found all seems to be contradictory.

I hope this isnt such a daft question, its just that I know Im gonna be sidechaining a lot so its pretty important to me that my sequencer has this capability.

Thanks!

Message 13/19             04-Jun-07  @  08:00 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

joegornall

Ive moved this last Q to the mixer/FX section!

Message 14/19             04-Jun-07  @  11:36 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

dont know about cubase4 , but sx3 comes with a plug called 'chopper' thats a kind of sidechain effect when setto ramp up 1/4. can be clicky though dependant on the material. theres a couple of native ones around, TC electronic did one...and theres a free one which is eluding me at the minute....

We have just drawn in volume envelopes recently.

I dont know why someone into building/shareware etc hasnt copied Protools digidesign compressor and gate, both sidechainers, both easy as hell to work and both sound the nuts. putting a breakbeat through the gate over a pad took 30 secs and sounded amazing, same with the sidechaining compressor

Message 15/19             05-Jun-07  @  12:17 AM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

k

http://www.db-audioware.com/dB-D-dynamics-processor-more.htm

true sidechainable comp could be your answer

Message 16/19             05-Jun-07  @  12:48 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

thats direct x which im pretty sure 4 doesnt support, or want going to the last time i checked

Message 17/19             05-Jun-07  @  02:37 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

tho just reading up on the actual plugs etc there seems to be one called sidekick3 which seems to be what you might be looking for

Message 18/19             05-Jun-07  @  05:16 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

joegornall

So does sidekick 3 come in the plugin package of Cubase Studio 4? I didnt see it. The only thing I saw was a VST3 plugin flexible gate with a sidechain input filter.

Message 19/19             05-Jun-07  @  05:39 PM   -   RE: Cubase 4 vs Sonar 6 (with Virus Ti )

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Viewing all 19 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1 2

There are 19 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)