aaa Preparing a mix for mastering - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Preparing a mix for mastering

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/7             29-May-07  @  04:04 PM   -   Preparing a mix for mastering

Drop

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Just read a post by a mastering engineer and he said to get my mixes to -6dbfs for 24 bit files and -2/-3dbfs for a 16 bit file.

Because Ableton Live 5's metering is so poor, what does -6dbfs mean in Ableton. If I used PSP Vintage Metering on the master track as a guide, what should my peak be hitting for a 24 bit WAV. -6db or more like -3db ?

Is -6dbfs the same as -6db on the psp vintage metering?

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/7             29-May-07  @  05:50 PM   -   RE: Preparing a mix for mastering

k

Link?:  Link

You can adjust it, i dont use it and the rear-panel labelling is a tad unclear... is it set to 5.6 = 0dbfs when it's fully clockwise or fully counterclockwise?

anyways, keep it around 0 on your psp meter and you can always check it in an editor to see peaks later

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/7             29-May-07  @  09:06 PM   -   RE: Preparing a mix for mastering

rags .aka. welder

Link?: Link

File?:  [image]

[image file]

-6dbfs for 24 bit files and -2/-3dbfs for a 16 bit file.

Yeah, but didn't he meant to bring up your stuff to at least those levels to maximise signal-to-noise ratio? Because then all you need to to is to bring up your level until it clips on the output, and then pull it down a notch (so that it doesn't), then you are using the whole dynamic range.

(Make sure you run an analysis on the output file to search for possible clips once again).

This is -6 dB in Live BTW...

Message 4/7             29-May-07  @  09:49 PM   -   RE: Preparing a mix for mastering

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

i honestly wouldn't get too caught up in it if your mixing it digitally...

Make a PreMaster loud enough so it doesnt clip and don't lose any sleep

Message 5/7             30-May-07  @  05:56 AM   -   RE: Preparing a mix for mastering

psylichon

When I'm mastering, I appreciate whatever headroom the mix engineer gives me. I've never, ever, ever gotten material that I thought sounded worse than it should because the peak level was too low. Too many technical reasons to get into explaining why, just don't stress it, ok?

Make the mix sound good, don't let it peak more than -3dBfs, don't let it peak less than -18dBfs (!!! yes, at 24 bits it will still sound great after proper mastering!)...leave the rest to your ME.

Message 6/7             30-May-07  @  09:47 AM   -   RE: Preparing a mix for mastering

Drop

Link?:  No link

Alright so screw the PSP metre thing - its weird on the back panel - I would just want to set it to 0=0 but it doesn't seen to let me.

So is -6dbfs the same as -6 on a Logic channel track? -6 in on a Logic channel seems quite low. Like half way.

The matering engineer told me its better to have a file with plenty of headroom and he reckons -6db (with maybe the occasional peak at around -4db) is best.

He says that the amount of files he gets with no headroom is frightening because he has to turn the volume down before he can even think about beginning to master.

So is -6dbfs the same as -6 db?

Message 7/7             02-Jun-07  @  03:50 AM   -   RE: Preparing a mix for mastering

psylichon

In this case, yes.

Viewing all 7 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 7 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)