aaa Basic Q about how something actually works - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Basic Q about how something actually works

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/5             06-Jun-07  @  07:01 PM   -   Basic Q about how something actually works

joegornall

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi everyone,

Im new to all this and dont yet have any equipment however Im trying to learn as much as poss and am trying to understand the ways in which things are done to make things easier when I get my gear.

Im struggling to understand how this is done:

When you convert a midi track to audio, in order to then apply for example a cutoff sweep to this part, moreover to the whole audio track or to two or 3 (in cubase for example) and actually record it, how easy is this?

Do you have to load the converted audio into your sampler and then play the audio parts via midi through your sampler and apply the filter that way? Or is it much simpler?

Take for example Ive got a synth lead riff that Im happy with playing by midi on my keyboard and messing about with the filters etc - but how do you get all that to audio? (I understand how to convert midi to audio) but you cant record the filter effect at the same time coz then your stuck with it and its effectively live so Im guessing there must be a simple way to then record the filter sweep, please help!

Thanks so much

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/5             06-Jun-07  @  10:31 PM   -   RE: Basic Q about how something actually works

k

Link?:  Link

if the audio is created by an external unit such as a synth you must first yes record it, insert it on an audio sequencer track, then apply a filter... whether that filter is a s/ware filter inside the sequencer, or wether it's an external hardware unit is up to you

if you particularly want to use some filter on your sampler, then you'd have to load the audio into that, unless this particular hardware sampler allowed audio to pass thru it's filters and back out again

there is a MASSIVE amount of software filters with quite extraordinary abilities compared to those you might find in a hardwware sampler, and also a huge amount of free ones from basics to quite ingenious

also you can use a s/ware sampler inside the sequencer as a software instrument and asequence it, it doesnt have to be a hardware sampler

also the beauty of a properly configured and purchased s/ware system is that you can pass EXTERNAL equipment signals such as synths THRU the host sequencer audio track and add realtime FX without having to first record the external device as an audio file

this is thru monitoring, and all semi pro affordable soundcards can do this... the more inouts your PC audio device has, the more live external instruments can be routed IN to the sequencer's onboard s/w mix in realtime

all the inputs which are routed THRU the sequencer audio tracks and the onboard s/ware instruments and any recorded audio all output from the pc audio out so you can monitor what you are creating

the advantage of working like that of course is you can work just like when using a hardware mixer, you dont need to records sounds first from your external midi gear, meaning you can adjust the unit in realtime, change the sound patch, change fx, etc etc

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/5             07-Jun-07  @  11:23 AM   -   RE: Basic Q about how something actually works

joegornall

Thankyou very much,

So from what I understand, any audio in the sequencer (eg a drum loop) can subsequently be filtered using the filters on my external synth (and this action be edited and recorded) as long as the synth is routed through the sequencer audio track via the inputs on my soundcard?

How does a recorded knob movement (technical term) usually appear on a sequencer when its recorded? Is it as numbers or as like a graph or an image underneath the audio track or something?

Cheers!

Message 4/5             07-Jun-07  @  11:31 AM   -   RE: Basic Q about how something actually works

k

Link?:  Link

yes, sequencers use 'node' based graph style envelopes to adjust controllers, usualy you can define the resolution of controllers.. some sequencers have curves which can be applied to the shapes of controller move data

as for the example with a drumloop, yes, if your hardware synth has an audio input to allow 'thru' processing of incoming audio, then you roiute the s/card output to the synth input, play the drumloop out and thru the synth and then record the returning filtered audio back onto an audio track

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/5             07-Jun-07  @  12:24 PM   -   RE: Basic Q about how something actually works

joegornall

Fantastic, thats great so I wont need any particular sequencer, looks like it will be no probs with Cubase and a virus.

Cheers k

Viewing all 5 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 5 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)