aaa sample quality from a turntable - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

02-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: sample quality from a turntable

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             29-Jun-07  @  05:29 PM   -   sample quality from a turntable

joegornall

Link?:  No link

File?:  No file

Hi everyone,

Ive just picked up a 7 yr old good cond technics 1210 turntable from ebay to use just for sampling. I read I might have to get some kind of preamp to boost the phono output to standard line level, what do you think? The soundcard I will be using will either be the EMU 0404 or the (0808?). Im unsure what will be sufficient, and whether Ill need an extra preamp or not that has a turntable input.

Also, stylus wise, the current stanton 500 MkII sounds OK to me but its been in a loft for 6 or 7 years and apparantly this could mean its quality aint what it used to be. Do you think it might be worth getting a new one before I start amassing samples? If so, anyone know if elliptical tipped ones are the best for quality?

Thanks very much

Joe

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             29-Jun-07  @  08:47 PM   -   RE: sample quality from a turntable

k

Link?:  Link

Welcome Joe! - well definately you need an riaa preamp for the deck.. a standard line input cant get the level from a deck up night enuff, and the riaa preamp curve is very drastic and will sound like crap even if you drop all tgreble and boost all bass - idealy you want to take a line out from a deejay mixer, but u might not have one

another option - if you have a hifi amp with a pair of phono turntable inputs you could use that for the deck, and then record OUT to the pc IN via the amp's 'TAPE' OUT sockets or even via the headphone out on the amp if you make up a special cable to connect the heaphone stereo socket to the pc inputs

the tape-out option is best tho - the headphone one is just a last resort fix

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             29-Jun-07  @  10:27 PM   -   RE: sample quality from a turntable

joegornall

Cheers,

Im not sure if Ive understood correctly though! So I need a riaa preamp but the curve is drastic so it would sound like crap? So I dont need a riaa preamp? Do you think a dj mixer would be better then? (I dont have one by the way)

Thanks

Message 4/9             29-Jun-07  @  11:55 PM   -   RE: sample quality from a turntable

S1GNALRUNNERS - BLU

Link?: Link

just buy a small 2 channel d mixer

there is , i want to say art something who make a device for plugging a turntable into instead of a dj mixer - has the 2 phon inputs and the ground connector. its black and purple....ill try and find

edit: how about this? http://www.decks.co.uk/products/accessories/deck_accessories/pre_amp

stylus wise, yes get a good quality needle/cartridge - theres a wealth to choose from at this site and you neednt spend a fortune but id probably choose something along the lines of this shure -

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/carts_styli/shure/whitelabel

theres alot of ortofons there too, both cheaper and more expensive.

alan

Message 5/9             30-Jun-07  @  09:09 AM   -   RE: sample quality from a turntable

k

oh yeah, they use the same black/purple sscheme for their small headphone amp too

and the whitelabel cart in our store is way cheaper - £ 59.82 !

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/shop/edit.cfm?product_id=165945&carrywith=s

the ART DEEJAYPRE II is 51 quid

but this one from SM proaudio is cheap

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/shop/edit.cfm?product_id=109169&carrywith=

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/9             30-Jun-07  @  09:20 AM   -   RE: sample quality from a turntable

k

as for the curve, a needle jumping in a groove would cause havok, and bass frequencies have bigger ridges in the vinyl cut, which would cuase the needle to hump out.... unless you reduce the bass freq at the cutting stage and then re-add the bass boost on playback

so an riaa phono phono eq curve has a massive bass cut and a treble boost which is then reversed on play to re-equalise the curve used in the vinyl cutting/pressing - you can approximate the curve by cutting all your treble and boosting bass but it's jalfassed and the cartridge output level also is very low voltage and has to be brought up to line level, again, the riaa phono preamp does this

here's the playback eq curve

from wiki:

RIAA equalization is therefore a form of preemphasis on recording, and deemphasis on playback. A record is cut with the low frequencies reduced and the high frequencies boosted, and on playback the opposite occurs. The result is a flat frequency response, but with noise such as hiss and clicks arising from the surface of the medium itself much attenuated. The other main benefit of the system is that low frequencies, which would otherwise cause the cutter to make large excursions when cutting a groove, are much reduced, so grooves are smaller and more can be fitted in a given surface area, yielding longer playback times. This also has the benefit of eliminating physical stresses on the playback stylus which might otherwise be hard to cope with, or cause unpleasant distortio

Message 7/9             04-Jul-07  @  06:29 PM   -   RE: sample quality from a turntable

joegornall

Thanks very much for your help!

Message 8/9             11-Jul-07  @  06:53 PM   -   RE: sample quality from a turntable

joegornall

Just out of interest, Ive just found out the EMU 1616M PCI soundcard has a turntable input comforming to the RIAA standard with the ground connection, so I think Im gonna wait for that.

Thankyou very much for the useful technical info,

Joe

Message 9/9             12-Jul-07  @  03:20 AM   -   RE: sample quality from a turntable

damballah

Link?: Link

yes that emu'll work

if you really care about the quality of your smaples, get a hifi cartridge. a cartridge is a transducer, like a microphone or speaker and has a great effect on the sound. dj ones are made for the abuse of club mixing or hip-hop djing. something like this shure which is a budget model based on the V-15 series, is made for quality sound reproduction. unless your djing, then get the dj spike.

hi k, hi blu.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)