aaa Stupid question of the month: summer special - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

03-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Stupid question of the month: summer special

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             28-Aug-07  @  02:48 PM   -   Stupid question of the month: cables

nutoniom

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Hello all,

hope you're having a lovely summer, safe and dry.

I thought we were long overdue for a stupid question of the month, so in this summer edition i'll go with something very dumb:

Is there a difference between microphone cable and instrument cable ? Apart from the gauge ?

My friend found a huge roll (500 ft) in a dumpster, so i thought i might use it to make some longer leads in my new set-up config. would it work ?

thanks in advance for your indulgence

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             29-Aug-07  @  12:44 AM   -   RE: Stupid question of the month: summer special

k

Link?:  Link

whaddya mean 'guage'?

how many cores? wrapped?

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             29-Aug-07  @  01:41 PM   -   RE: Stupid question of the month: summer special

nutoniom

gauge, i mean the microphone cable seems thinier than instrument cable. The way it's made is copper in white plastic wire, wich is surrounded by a copper mesh, wich is surrounded by the usual black stuff that cable is made of.

Also, as i am recabling the whole thing, I am facing this problem which always make me nuts: long power supply cables, like the tx81z for instance wich has an 8 freakkin feet long cable. Can i shorten it ? Cause all those way too long cables are going to be a mess in my brand new, home made, slanted rack.

thanks

p.s.: here is how the cable is labeled on the sleeve.

OFC hi-fi microphone wire

Message 4/9             29-Aug-07  @  04:50 PM   -   RE: Stupid question of the month: summer special

k

they sell OCF in maplins web store - try and find it please and send back the link

is it this one?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=26923&criteria=OFC%20CABLE&doy=29m8

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 5/9             29-Aug-07  @  05:25 PM     Edit: 29-Aug-07  |  05:28 PM   -   RE: Stupid question of the month: summer special

nutoniom

looks more like this actually, single core.

The way i understood it, the core is to be soldered to the tip and the copper mesh to the sleeve.

edit:image is a bit big, you'll have to scroll sideways, sorry

Message 6/9             29-Aug-07  @  09:52 PM   -   RE: Stupid question of the month: summer special

nutoniom

I stumbled on a gem of yours k, reposting it here, since we're on the cable issue...

disconnect EVERYTHING leave just the mixer attatched to the amp & speaker chain... test out the amp itself with nothing attatched... is a noisey amp??.... is there earth noise or hum or some shit ? if there is attend to it.....then attatch the mixer..

take the amp volume to your normal level of listening .... push it up higher.... set all the mixer eq flat...... lower all faders & returns except master stereo out fader... now... bring up channel faders one by one... listen for noise.... get some 'PHOSPRO' spray... spray the tracks.... wiggle it...... see if it is improved.... test each channel & returns.... then bring ALL faders & returns up to 0, and listen.??........clean the mixer with a vacuum cleaner with a thin curtian attatchment and a small paintbrush to dislodge the dust... then wipe it down with a cloth & some anto static... from then on cover it with a sheet when not being used.... and wash the sheet regular....

so... the faders up.... with as many up as when your doing a track...is that your noise??... is it the same as when the kit is installed?....try also now the eq's... with the faders up, notice how much extra noise the eq add's... alot huh?.... that is why getting the inputs up high is important.. (i'll come to that)...

ok from there, plug in a bit of kit at a time.... wire them in using your best cables first... test them the same way..... check to see which bits of kit are noisiest....

also, when your fx are plugged in... lower everything, and check the fx unit noise with the returns up.... often the relative balance between the fx units output control, and the mixer return control can be a great contributor to noise as fx especially reverbs are often fucking noisey....so work on getting the balance right between the fx units output level... and the return mixer inputs gain level... that can REALLY make a difference to fx noise...

so... plug each bit of kit in one at a time... testing each as you go & wire it in..... do it like that to also check if any bit of kit once plugged in is also humming, or causing other bitz of kit to start to hum.....

finally..... the gain input levels can make a huge difference... you can drive input gains like fuck... infact it can often make a track sound fucking huge and banging to overdrive inputs..... it also results in a way lower noise floor relative level.... i often pump certain items into the red... until they distort even.... works a treat on kik drums.....

the reason i say all that, is that once a dancetrack is banging away, if that shit is attended to, and levels are set right.... you wont hear any noise.... unless there is a faulty or badly earthed bit of kit.... and..... rewiring wont make alot of difference and for example my rewing cost 250 quid !!! in cable & plugs... not ready mades so it does cost alot for decent cable plus you need some soldering kit , number markers etc......

also.... with multi out items, only earth one output signal-cable if the earthed one is always all plugged in...(say channel-1)..... those multi out jobs use common earths, and there is less chance of different impedences presenting themselves to different outputs of the same unit if only one is earthed.....also, you only need the amp mains-earthed or the mixer.... the other stuff doest have to be.....but one of those needs to be earthed..... DONT DE-EARTH GUITAR AMPS THO.... THEY MIGHT EARTH THEMSELVES VIA THE STRINGS AND YOUR FINGERS TO GET TO THE EARTHED MIC OR OTHER EARTH....

also if you like, you can get jack-socket cleaners.... it looks like a jack plug, but scrubs & buffs the connectors inside the dirty socket when you push it in & out of the socket...... might be worth it, but i doubt it....especially if you leave stuff plugged in to the mixer..... still... you could try it they are cheap......also , try wiping & cleaning your jack-plug heads (the bit that plugs in), with isopropyl alchohol to get rid of any invisible oil or grease which might have got on from your fingers... it's the same with spark plugs... when i used to tweek my bike, i used to clean all the ceramic plug shafts with isopropyl before replacing the caps....

good luck... maybe you'll save some money

Message 7/9             30-Aug-07  @  01:23 AM   -   RE: Stupid question of the month: summer special

k

heh...ye olde tips

that cable is like installation cable or guitar style cable, good quality by the look of it with a plastic antistatic sheild around the core and then a screen copper wrap - use it to make instrument leads or any other unbalamced usage leads

as for the tx mains lead, yes mines qiuite a length - fnar - if you are 100% SURE you wonr need the length then cut it and re-attach the plug, no probs... otherwise just coil it up and tie it in a loose coil (not tight) and use it like that

Message 8/9             30-Aug-07  @  01:50 AM   -   RE: Stupid question of the month: summer special

nutoniom

off to buy some connectors then.

Should I shed out for the expensive type (neutrik or similar) or is it unnecessary? Cause i could get some nickel silvery ones for like sixty bucks for a hundred of them... the way i see it, as long as the soldering is well done , it's all good no ?

Message 9/9             30-Aug-07  @  06:30 AM   -   RE: Stupid question of the month: summer special

k

if they are staying plugged in yes, if freq in/out, neutrik, and dont forget if u use a patchbay, you can hardwire the cables to the patchbay rear pcb's which saves one plug per rear socket

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)