aaa Electric guitar fanciers..? - Music tracks & feedback forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music tracks & feedback

Subject: Electric guitar fanciers..?

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             28-May-08  @  09:05 PM   -   Electric guitar fanciers..?

zigreeder

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Greetings all.
I shall probably be a lurking newb for a while, but I've just uploaded a series of decent-res clips under my name. If anyone fancies a listen and wishes to make(constructive) critical comments, by all means post here or mail me at the addy you see.
The clips are all 20-30secs of original tracks by me...I'm in the process of just tweaking the masters before I make the whole things available. It's prog rock/blues, with the guitar very much in ascendancy; I've been recording away for some years and have only just got round to getting the final articles together.
If you dislike the electric guitar with washes of strings, you'll loathe these...!
I hope I've not broken protocol of any kind by jumping straight in...this is a new venture for me, even if the music itself sounds as if it's been around for a while!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             02-Jun-08  @  12:45 PM   -   RE: Electric guitar fanciers..?

admin

Link?:  No link

Well it's not bad playing from what can be heard in the few brief seconds available, but these snippets simply arent long enough to give any appraisal whatsoever.

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 3/9             02-Jun-08  @  09:56 PM   -   RE: Electric guitar fanciers..?

zigreeder

If you're admin, I would have expected a little less acidity there mate. A begrudging "well, it's not bad" followed by a description of between 35 and 55 seconds as "few brief seconds", is a bit unnecessary, given that I've already supplied that information in the post, and it's hardly under the remit of constructive crticism.
Well...at least you had time to appraise my playing as "not bad"...I'm glad it didn't need the whole 50 seconds for you to realise this...but, really no need for the tetchy tone.

Message 4/9             03-Jun-08  @  04:27 PM   -   RE: Electric guitar fanciers..?

admin

well sadly THAT is what criticism is, an independent assessment given by someone else outside of your control.

i dont see anything 'tetchy' about it. Can you point me to this 'tetchiness' in my one written sentence?

Simply put: I can't assess a track without hearing the hook/chorus and arrangement any more than I can appraise a meal without tasting it. But if you think people can then good luck with it, but bare in mind you'll be up against the millions of bands and songwriters out there with full track available online, and people will just pass your intro's by in preference for those other full tracks they can hear properly.

What's exactly the problem with adding a full track anyways? what are you going to do if you want to send stuff in to labels? send them a bunch of intro snippets and hope they can see your vision by some sort of magical clairvoyance?

Therefore without a full track to hear, all i can say is this:

Well it's not bad playing from what can be heard in the few brief seconds available, but these snippets simply arent long enough to give any appraisal whatsoever.

"In other countries, art and literature are left to a lot of shabby bums living in attics and feeding on booze and spaghetti, but in America the successful writer or picture-painter is indistinguishable from any other decent business man!" - Babbit

Message 5/9             04-Jun-08  @  01:51 AM   -   RE: Electric guitar fanciers..?

zigreeder

There's always one, isn't there? You seem to be in denial as regards your manner and now appear quite quickly on the brink of emotionalism and rudeness. Whereas I will not waste both our time by me playing this game further(you win, in other words: you can have the last word here), I have to say that firstly I agree with you: you "cannot appraise a meal without tasting it". ..er...the clips ARE the tasters, then, thus are able to be appraised.
Point taken re hooks, etc;...yet I have had scores of comments in the week I've made these clips available, from people who have found that the clips' lengths allow much to be said about production, mixing, sound and texture, technique, etc;
"...up against the millions..."?: I'm not in a competition here; also, production and presentation equally well augment the chances of play. Also, I'm aware that 30 seconds of well-engineered and crafted work can speak better than verse-chorus-bridge-middle8 of generic hamburger muzack, for instance. Heck, I've been a musician long enough to know that there are quite a few people out there who are a little bit busy...!
And.... "what's exactly the problem with adding a full track anyways"..?
I beg your pardon: I do not have a "problem"...it's not compulsory, is it? Actually, I CHOOSE not to submit a whole track at this site for the time being..not because I have a problem, but because it's what I choose to do. Not that I need to educate you, of course, but I choose to do this partly for the same reason companies put out "teasers" before the main feature, partly because when I do upload full tracks, it will be largely in the knowledge that the whole versions won't have been circulated without my knowledge or permission...that the client will get an original, full-quality piece.
Yes, I could have added complete, lo-res versions, I admit...but I choose to ascertain the market, judge the take-up at several possible points of outlet..AND..I wish my listeners to have the best-mastered versions of the best that I can do. I also wanted to wait until the beta version of this site gives way to the full version...and when I am ready and happy, then I will pay my subs to the site that is the best choice for me.
(Sigh) Your "magical clairvoyance" bit of sneering....sorry, not even replying to this....that bit IS an exemplar of "tetchy", though, seeing as you had an issue with identifying the trait.

Message 6/9             04-Jun-08  @  02:34 PM   -   RE: Electric guitar fanciers..?

Laurence

Guys!!! I think "not bad" can mean good, or actually a multitude of things.
Also ".............arent long enough to give any appraisal whatsoever"......... Read as,
"..................arent long enough to give any serious appraisal................." Scans quite differently.

Now, whilst I am a bit of a hot-head myself usually, I do feel that maybe this is a drop-it-and-start-again situation.

I know Zig, and I know he's a talented man. I dont know admin, but i doubt he's out to get someone, so...................................................

On this occasion, lets just get to know each others eccentricities (if any), and go from there. Yes?

Message 7/9             04-Jun-08  @  07:32 PM   -   RE: Electric guitar fanciers..?

admin

Good call. Let's hear a full track. One at least.

Message 8/9             07-Jun-08  @  11:35 AM   -   RE: Electric guitar fanciers..?

admin

ok well; 'He Lives', great playing first of all.

production wise (baring in mid it's an old track):

i'd probably get some girl to do the spoken word and mix it all ethereal, like the 'gladiator film vocals', but for speech. or. read it less like it's 'being read'. There's some bass popping on the vocal recording too.

apparently it's an old track, the piano sound is a bit dated but that's a matter of presets.

the percussion i'd like to hear more, and with more width and depth to it, some care could be taken with that, and although without real players it'd be laborious, i'd expand that percussion with more variety so it sounds more real and with more depth to the individual drums, which'd mean constructing the part from some individual drum samples to get more depth to the drums and get the eq better for individual drums. Right now they all have the same eq which I assume is because it's a loop and thus was eq'd as a whole. So it's quite mid-range and emphasises the bongo-style drum. With real percussion it's sound huge, well it should sound huge but not huge in volume.

Overally the mix is quite midrange i'd say but there's not alot of bass instruments. There's no bass in there as far as i can tell, and no drumkit, so one has to be careful to get a good balance without those factors providing the bass-end balance.

Message 9/9             10-Jun-08  @  09:55 AM   -   RE: Electric guitar fanciers..?

zigreeder

That's a good point re the EQ; I've got to grips with Ozone for the mastering side of things since. Ta for giving it a listen...the downsampling of Audacity has also taken out some frequencies that I'd rather have included. Nice one.

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)