aaa U.S. Election - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: U.S. Election

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             05-Nov-08  @  06:04 PM     Edit: 05-Nov-08  |  06:08 PM   -   U.S. Election

sitar

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

last night was huge. there's a big job ahead but i'm so happy obama was elected. i'm a 54
year old white male. i still remember clearly...i was in 2nd grade, 7 years old. my family had
just moved to a rural suburb in connecticut and I had just started in a new school. we had just
finished lunch at school and were out on the playground. i remember there were swings and
probably one of those monkey bar things you can climb around on. i didn't know anyone. all of
the kids were playing.

i saw off a ways in the distance a group of about 10 kids standing around by themselves. they
weren't playing but were standing there as if only having their hands in their pockets. that's
how I remember them looking. i also remember them looking at us, the group of kids playing
on the swings and what not. the group of kids standing off by themselves were black. i walked
toward them. i remember feeling somehow sorry for them because they were looking at us
having fun but they weren't having fun themselves. i didn't get very far before a teacher told
me not to go over there. she said that they play by themselves. i had no idea about racism and
prejudice. i only remember seeing some kids I wanted to invite over because they weren't
having fun.

how much things have changed since that day. i still feel sad when i remember that day on
the playground. yesterday's election was amazing. i was lucky to have had a father who
instilled in me both in words and by his actions that i should never be prejudiced. my father
loved people and never shy'd from them because of their race in a time when racism was the
status quo in our country. i wish he was alive today.

sorry. that was a bit more serious than my usual witty posts :P but i was very moved last
night. Here are a couple of funny things pertaining to the election:

A funny comment I heard on one of the news channels a few days ago...

"There are such enormous problems and challenges that will be handed over to whichever of
the candidates wins this presidential election. I'm wondering if this will be the first time in
history the winner of a presidential election wakes up the day after the election and asks for a
recount." LOL!!!

Somebody posted this on "Have Your Say", a bbc.com user comment board. "I am thrilled that
someone is going to bring literacy back to the whitehouse" LOL!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             05-Nov-08  @  10:32 PM   -   RE: U.S. Election

k

agreed Sitar, it was deeply emotional. I sat up with a good bottle of 8 year old scotch and watched the whole thing.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/3             05-Nov-08  @  11:13 PM   -   RE: U.S. Election

sitar

LOL! that's great. wow that was like 6AM your time. must've been worth it though. seeing the size
of that crowd was great and your scotch was a bit more aged by the time it was all over

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)