aaa Fruity Loops Controversy - The lounge forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

30-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   The lounge

Subject: Fruity Loops Controversy

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             27-Nov-08  @  01:58 AM   -   Fruity Loops Controversy

nme

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

Quote from a post I came across re FL

"Controversy is brewing across the internet this past week as a lawsuit came to light regarding a bedroom musician who used a loop and riff included with the installation of FL Studio in a track that he made. The assumption was that both samples were royalty free, but apparently they are not. The drum loop and the main riff from the club-classic Faxing Berlin by Deadmau5 are available as loops in FL Studio 8. Both the drum loop and the chords from the track are available under Melody Loops Pack in the sample browser. They are called LP_Faxing Berlin A_128bpm.ogg and LP_Faxing Berlin C_128bpm.ogg.

The assumption by most artists is that all of the samples shipped with FL Studio are royalty free, but Image-Line is now claiming that only the one shot samples are royalty free"

Jean-Marie Cannie:

"The loops & demo songs are available to demo what's capable in FL Studio ... it doesn't mean you can just render the songs & loops and start selling them as your own. The (single hit) samples sure are ready to use in a composition but it should be pretty clear that anything else (whether it's a demo song, melodic loop, score, ...) belongs to its author(s)."

see links below

Don't use FL Studio loops!

Image Line Forum Article

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             27-Nov-08  @  02:51 AM   -   RE: Fruity Loops Controversy

rags .aka. welder

Don't use FL Studio loops!

Well, I wouldn't go that far actually but definitely embarassing and stupid move by fruity, for sure, not to mention how they have handled this issue.

My main gripe with fruity is that the main developer refuses to implement automatic plugin delay compensation on purpose, (seems like he still believes that plugins that introduce delay are badly coded and therefore shouldn't be used at all). Despite all this, fruity provides a pretty useable and powerful piece of sw IMO...

Message 3/3             27-Nov-08  @  01:35 PM   -   RE: Fruity Loops Controversy

nme

rags .aka. welder wrote:

Dont use FL Studio loops!

Well, I wouldnt go that far actually but definitely embarassing and stupid move by fruity, for sure, not to mention how they have handled this issue.

My main gripe with fruity is that the main developer refuses to implement automatic plugin delay compensation on purpose, (seems like he still believes that plugins that introduce delay are badly coded and therefore shouldnt be used at all). Despite all this, fruity provides a pretty useable and powerful piece of sw IMO...

Yeah Ive heard good things about the FL software itself.

Perhaps an addendum to that quote should be 'Dont use FL Studio Loops if you plan to release a track containing them into the public domain' (at least until its clear exactly what is & isnt royalty free) otherwise anyone who does runs the same risk as this guy & now he faces legal action!

From a legal point of view though I'd of thought that its up to the manufacturer to make it clear & precise to avoid this kind of thing happening & if it isnt a clear area which appears the case then I cant really see Imageline getting too much success through the legal route!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)