aaa MIDI Controller issues - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

26-Apr-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: MIDI Controller issues

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/9             22-Oct-09  @  12:24 PM   -   MIDI Controller issues Edirol PCR-500 and Behringer BCF2000

kristofwynants

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

thanx, i've just registered and check out the site in depth, the Behringer yesterday was more
or less functioning, so I'll try a bit more on that, your link will certainly be helpful! My main
issue yesterday was about the PCR actually, I probably didn't make it clear enough since
there's a lot of info to communicate. Other readers who have similar issues: see the quote to
read the original message:

hi dancetech, i've been watching your videos quite a lot since I recently switched to
mac (Macbook with OSX 10.5.8) and got me logic pro 9, using this for recording bands (i'm a
double bass player) as well as editing and mixing. Now to get a sense of working with faders
in real-time, i figured a midi-controller would fit my demands.

Over the past one and a half months i've been trying three different kind of devices (a Korg
Nano Kontrol, a Behringer BCF 2000 and an Edirol PCR 500 (= a keyboard with faders).
Now the thing is: I can't get the mapping done in Logic; whenever I make a set of
assignments, they either disappaer or refuse to stick to the control mapping. Logic
recognizes the devices but I just can't get the mappings to work and it's really frustrating.
I've tried downloading the most recent controller editors, I've read the fora, I've been to the
sites of Apple, Logic, Roland/Edirol, Korg, Behringer, even to the site of MIDI.org, I called
shops, had friends over who run studios themselves and read all TFManuals (which, in case
of the PCR-500 a.o., is like reading a book on quantumfysics). At the stores they can't help
me either.

All of this is starting to distract me from my focus which is making good music, all my time
goes out to finding the problem, which really starts to piss me off. So I decided to bring back
my Edirol to the shop tomorrow since it's brand new and just now I stumbled on your
reviews of the Behringer UMA25S and... I was baffled! How come everything works with
you? I've followed the same exact procedures of setting up the controller surfaces, the Learn
assignments etc. but
Logic keeps on fucking up the assignments I make, for example I create a Zone for Mixer
Faders 1 to 8 and assign them to the same controller, I make a set for a delay plug-in and all
the faders move channel 5 in Logic, or they've disappeared, or Logic plainly crashes.

So what's your thought on this, did I forget something somewhere, or is it a bug in Logic, but
then again why don't you have that bug? Or should I assign all controllers in the device itself
first ( because I thought the whole point of assigning controllers in Logic was to skip this
step)?

Sorry to take up some of your time, but since you seem to have more knowledge of Logic 9
then all the people I know, I turn to you with my heap of questions but I really don't know
what else to do and I wanna solve this to the bottom, cause IF I get it to function it could
greatly enhance my workflow (which is currently and sadly below zero due to all this).

OK, so, after browsing in the Behringer and PCR manual some more, the Behringer stuff did
become a bit more clear to me and I actually succeeded in mapping some basic controls
(pan and volume, however now and then some assignments keep disappaering).

The PCR on the other hand, remains a mistery. I still don't get any wiser from the manual,
even with these new insights. I think I'm gonna return it to the store and just stick to the
BCF2000. I'm still curious though to find a solution so if something should come to mind, let
me know so other music makers can benefit from our knowledge.

Enjoy your day and thanks again

K-Man

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/9             22-Oct-09  @  02:42 PM   -   RE: MIDI Controller issues

k

hiya mate - the thing is if you study that BCF page i sent it shows how to setup inlogic, and more - you must set the bcf right which is explained, then before the BCF can work you must run the bcfview.exe which loads a small horizontal lcd style strip on screen which sits overlayed on top of logic (you can grag it to wherever on screen - this bcfview.exe is the key cos that translates the messages to the controls o flofic

once done , everything is just mapped! - with 2 bcf's it gets better cos logic recognises and send bank-0change messages to the bcf so it steps up/down in banks of 16 fader with 2 units in use - also with 2 units when you switch the bcfr into EQ mode - the top 16 pots (2 x 8 on one bcf) becomes 4 x 4 eq bands

however, the new logic has lost the old simple channel eq so i'd have to revist to see what it does with the new logic

anyways try the one bcf you have, study the page i sent carefuly (sorry it's a tad messy, it is old) and it should work

come back and ask if anything on the page isnt clear or u get stuck

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 3/9             22-Oct-09  @  04:26 PM   -   RE: MIDI Controller issues

kristofwynants

OK, will do, just didn't find the time yet, ... I returned the Edirol PCR (traded it in for my old Key Rig
49 which is simple but effective) today anyway but I'll certainly work out the BCF, I think it's better
learn one thing at the time anyway and hardwarewise I can always extend later on as I expect
prices to drop even more in the future. I'll keep you informed how it goes, the site is a great source
of info altogether, thanks again for all for the effort; it's been a great lesson of how side effects can
distract one's attention by a long shot

greetzz Kristof

Message 4/9             18-Oct-10  @  08:45 AM   -   RE: MIDI Controller issues

vtekjohn

Link?:  No link

Hi, 

This is John in California. I also sent a "message" but don't know if it went to the proper person. As you will see below, this is somewhat of an emergency for me. I have gotten into music late in life although my brother has written some number 1's in the USA. I am Learning Logic 9.x very quickly and I came across a thread regarding a Bcf2000 and a Edirol Pcr-500. I just bought both of those an am fighting the minimal manuals to set up on my Imac with Snow Leopard 10.6x. I have some serious failing health and am trying to cut the setup curve down as much as possible to do some music for my son and appreciate any help you could give that gives me a better chance of completing it. I probably won't make it if all I use is mouse and keyboard and if I do, I'll have to rush the process and it will not be the quality I would like him to play for his own children. The thread indicate you had sent him some primary setup info on the BFC that would assist him with the PCR and logic setup. Any and all information you could either provide or direct me to that would facilitate getting this all working together would be appreciated more than I can tell you. This could be as basic as whether to connect them both by usb, or run the pcr through the bfc and how to get this setup, right down to whatever it takes to control the deeply layered items in logic or it's instruments. I am seriously considering buying and learning Propellerhead's new Record 1.5 to facilitate that end of things. If I am approaching this the wrong way , please let me know. I have not really used forums before although i used to be considered pretty handy with PCs. Now I'm on major pain meds and my brain just isn't always there for me. I could eventually figure this out, but I'm afraid I'm running out of time. Sincere thanks for your consideration, and best wishes to you.  John

Message 5/9             18-Oct-10  @  10:37 AM   -   RE: MIDI Controller issues

k

ok guys i'll deal with this later, i gotta get chapter3 of logic video tutorials uploaded today - praps then we need a new video specificaly for the new mac logic and bcf2000, just showing the basic setup.

i aint tried it on the latest logic so maybe there is a problem now? Basicaly you need to setup in logic for Logic control mode. not doing it manualy

i'll get back to you asap

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Message 6/9             22-Oct-10  @  10:12 PM   -   RE: MIDI Controller issues

k

right, i had a look. it's different now since logic 5 when i last did BCF2000 videos.

i'd messing around trying to figure stuff out. the main issue is the new channel eq isnt the same as the old 4-slot chanel eq, so now you have potentialy 8 eq bands

alot has changed... i'll try and get a video together & come back as i find new stuff. It's basicaly working in much the same way, but the inserts, sends, eq etc is slightly different now.

I migh try and see how it works in other modes besides Logic Control

2 unist still work ok, but again, with 8 bands of eq you need to choose 4 bands in the preferences. or you can use a mdoe where you get all 8 bands, but only freq & gain, not Q, etc

i'll add whatever i find

Message 7/9             30-Oct-10  @  05:52 PM   -   RE: MIDI Controller issues

k

ok, had a breakthru today - despite every signel post oin the web saying you CANNOT access EQ mode with 4 controls per-band, AND then shift up/down the eq bands... i have got it doing exactly that!

the ony problem is, i achieved this by messing with the controller assignments and i'm not sure how i did it

lol

so, as soon as i figure out how i got it into that mode, i'll make a video showing how

what i can reproduce is this:

everyone on forums says the best alternative for NOT being able to use 4-bands and step up/down pages - is to use the shift & click the 8th pot to put it into the mode where it makes each pot  the freq and each fader the gain

well that can quite easily be made the default EQ button mode

the secret is top et into the automation parameters

anyways, i'll get back when i've figured out more

it's a mystery tho the first bit

before when iw as messing, when it went into 2 EQ BANDS mode, there as simply the LED display:

EQ.

now after messing, it shows EQ.1 or EQ.2 or EQ.3 or EQ.4

depending which eq-page u have assigned in the control surface group

well once you have that set, you can then shift up down the pages of 8 pots

so it shows 1, 2 or 3

it's hard to explain, anways it can be done, just how i did it now has to be discovered

Message 8/9             14-Nov-10  @  10:02 PM   -   RE: MIDI Controller issues

k

ok the video is underway - so far done:

part 1 intro & setup and navigation principal
part 2 eq mixer view
part 3 eq channel view
part 4 eq frequency gain view
part6 customising LED pot displays and pot adjustment fine-ness

to do:
plugins mixer view
plugins channel view

sends mixer view
sends channel view

plus extras & using 2 units in sync

soon come with it

Message 9/9             20-Dec-10  @  11:06 PM     Edit: 20-Dec-10  |  11:07 PM   -   RE: MIDI Controller issues

k

ok there's your full detailed bcf2000 and logic pro user guide:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=DEE8614200ECCD96

most of that applies to cubase btw, if you follow that you'll not find too much differences with cubase

Viewing all 9 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 9 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)