aaa Pubs win court battle over recorded music charges - Music techology forums
skin: 1 2 3 4 |  Login | Join Dancetech |

dancetech forums

01-May-2024

Info-line:   [synths]    [sampler]    [drumbox]    [effects]    [mixers]     [mics]     [monitors]    [pc-h/ware]    [pc-s/ware]    [plugins]    -    [links]    [tips]

Search forums House rules Live chat Login to access your admin About dancetech forums Forum home Start a new topic

Forums   -   Music techology

Subject: Pubs win court battle over recorded music charges

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

Original Message 1/3             13-Feb-10  @  06:45 PM   -   Pubs win court battle over recorded music charges

k

Link?: Link

File?:  No file

kwality - another blow to the rancid copyright lunacy camp

Pubs, restaurants and hotels could share £20m in refunds after winning a court battle over the charges they pay for playing recorded music.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8513734.stm

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

[ back to forum ]              [quote]

Message 2/3             16-Feb-10  @  03:38 AM   -   RE: Pubs win court battle over recorded music charges

Musineer Productions

From the desk of the advocate for the Devil

Sir,

So what's wrong with musicians getting paid a fair pay? The fee charged to those who benefit from a musician's produce should be increased, not decreased.

Why should third parties use music to make their venue more attractive to customers and yet not pay the music makers? Do the pubs open without seeking profit when I feel like a drink? Well, I went to pub recently and I can tell you that no, they don't.

The fact that these places that pay the licence continued to pay it only proves that music is a valuable resource for them. How much extra would you pay for a flight somewhere -- maybe you're going on holiday, stressed missus and screaming kids, someone kicking your chair, someone else coughing, a baby crying (bwah, bwah, bwah, bwah, snurrrk, bwah, bwah, bwah...) -- that had music and headphones? £10? £11? Would you go to £12? How much of a reduction in cost would tempt you to do without the ambient elixir?

And what does tomorrow hold for the licence? When venues (pubs, restaurants, airlines), or rather places that play music to the public, have to pay a good hefty fee for the right to play music then they'll be more discriminatory about what they play. They'll either try to anticipate their crowd or they'll attract their crowd because of their choice of music. They'll pay consultants to produce printed paper stating which sounds are making people eat the most, the quickest, or which band gets folk drinking, or which music keeps folks calm when the iceberg strikes or the engine drops off.

Perhaps a pay-per-play card that you top up and use as and when your business needs the boost that music provides. Or maybe a monthly fee that allows you to play so many hours from an online sound library. In fact, extend that to private use to. Why should someone get repeat playing of a tune? Does my bottle refill once I've drunk from it? Well, I can confirm that too. It doesn't. So why does a gramophone disc play without limit? Should manufacturers incorporate a data corruption device after so many weeks that renders digital media unusable?

The result will be a drop in the number of super-wealthy 'stars' and an increase in locally sourced, organic-fed, free-range musicians who are able to make a comfy living. Making music will become a viable job. It can only be a good thing for the 'art' of music, though it would seriously disrupt the music business. People would start to listen, really listen, to music again because it wouldn't be everywhere; it would be rare. A treat.

Transgressors (anyone without a valid licence) who are caught should be fined a serious wadge, a department for the handling and redistribution of which I am willing to organise for you all. Haven't yet decided what to do with gratuitous 'tappers' and 'whistlers'.

No money; no music.

Yours, etc.

Message 3/3             16-Feb-10  @  02:16 PM   -   RE: Pubs win court battle over recorded music charges

k

this is a fee for playing recorded music, jukebox etc. not live bands at all.

and tbh most pubs i go in nowadays that do play music all seem to have a pc with an mp3 playlist of web tracks, so they arent buying the cd's anymore.

I had an idea for a script once. It's basically Jaws except when the guys in the boat are going after Jaws, they look around and there's an even bigger Jaws. The guys have to team up with Jaws to get Bigger Jaws.... I call it... Big Jaws!!!

Viewing all 3 messages  -  View by pages of 10:  1

There are 3 total messages for this topic

Reply to Thread

You need to register/login to use the forum.

Click here  to Signup or Login !

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

Mozilla/5.0 AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko; compatible; ClaudeBot/1.0; +claudebot@anthropic.com)